5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Aero Mode-rear bump stop question

nukeman

Reaction score
I had an odd shimmy/shake in the rear of my ‘19 Bighorn 6’4” bed truck starting at 1k miles. Dealer was able to reduce it to tolerable, but ever since I’ve got it back from them, it rides super stiff in the rear end (I typically drive it in Aero).
Tonight I crawled under and tried out each suspension mode. In Aero mode, my bumpstops contact the axle. In Normal mode, they are about 1” from contacting.
Is this normal? Seems odd that it would literally sit on the bumpstops while driving. But does explain the harsh ride.

768mph

Reaction score
I had an odd shimmy/shake in the rear of my ‘19 Bighorn 6’4” bed truck starting at 1k miles. Dealer was able to reduce it to tolerable, but ever since I’ve got it back from them, it rides super stiff in the rear end (I typically drive it in Aero).
Tonight I crawled under and tried out each suspension mode. In Aero mode, my bumpstops contact the axle. In Normal mode, they are about 1” from contacting.
Is this normal? Seems odd that it would literally sit on the bumpstops while driving. But does explain the harsh ride.

Entry/exit should be sitting on the bump stops.
Seems like your AS needs some reprogramming.

I’ve tested it to my Laramie with AS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nukeman

Reaction score
Entry/exit should be sitting on the bump stops.
Seems like your AS needs some reprogramming.

I’ve tested it to my Laramie with AS.

This is mine in Aero

Attachments

• 48B1B1F4-3514-4D5B-9FA8-E355C5BCED81.jpeg
    48B1B1F4-3514-4D5B-9FA8-E355C5BCED81.jpeg
    143 KB · Views: 73

nukeman

Reaction score
I’m curious if the dealer didn’t do some funky reprogramming to help alleviate the shimmy I was feeling at takeoff. If the axle is contacting the bumpstops, there couldn’t be any axle wrap or shimmy. Not the right fix, but maybe?

nukeman

Reaction score
Does the air suspension raise or lower from other settings if aero is selected? Example: going from normal to aero, should the rear raise or lower at all? My understanding is that the rear would not move. Mine raises and lowers from or to normal mode.

768mph

Reaction score
Does the air suspension raise or lower from other settings if aero is selected? Example: going from normal to aero, should the rear raise or lower at all? My understanding is that the rear would not move. Mine raises and lowers from or to normal mode.

The entire truck will lower front and rear in all modes depending on selection. Pages from the manual below.

4644c61ade4fffb6341cdb8a08194f0f.jpg
ad7177d48a9013fb4e803f383b331e3f.jpg

CaptainCJ35

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just ran out and took this pic. I have a Rebel with Air Suspension which has a "lift", so there could be some difference... but you're probably right in that your suspension is set too low.
bump stop.jpg

Diamondback

Ram Guru
Reaction score
as posted above with the Owner's Manual as reference .. yes, the entire truck raises or lowers, not just the front ..
why would you want a dragster with the front end sitting 2 inches lower than the rear .. or when you raise the rig, why would you want the front 2 inches higher than the rear?

nukeman

Reaction score
Thanks for the inputs, it looks like the truck "relearned" itself and is now sitting a bit higher in Aero and Normal. But...here's the oddness.
-I now have an OR2 mode which in the past didn't exist. Previously, if I tried to go above OR1, the EVIC would just say "Selected ride height not permitted". Now it works and raises from OR1
-OR1 doesn't automatically lower to normal on my truck until 73ish MPH. This can't be normal.

CaptainCJ35

Ram Guru
Reaction score
A Rebel or a truck with the ORG (I think) and air suspension don't get OR2 because they are already "lifted". To me, it sounds like your truck got reprogrammed from one to the other.

If I leave my truck in "Normal", at highway speeds (not sure the exact speed or parameters) it automatically goes down to "Aero" and comes back to "Normal" again at 35. I can leave my truck in "Aero" as default, and I do for street driving. So, it sounds like your truck is doing the same thing... I think as it should... unless you have a Rebel or Off Road Group.

Users who are viewing this thread