5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Advice Wanted: Impossible to Update Head Unit on 2022 Quad 1500 (Lone Star)?

jburke90

Reaction score
I just put my truck (or the truck I will have on Tuesday) into crutchfield to look at possible head unit upgrades and it said " You can't replace the radio in your vehicle because of dash configuration, safety issues, or electrical compatibility. "

Is this likely correct? I have the basic truck coming, got a very decent deal on a 2022 Ram 1500 Quad Cab that is coming with the 5 inch screen Uconnect 3 I believe.

I guess I don't understand why it wouldn't be upgradeable, anyone got any ideas?

Full disclosure: I haven't done any modding in like 13 years but I wanna get into it on the side. I'm a woodworker otherwise so a truck is useful but I'd like to have fun with it. Once I have built some confidence I wanna install ACC, FWC, and all of those cool things on the guide on this site. Is that gonna be impossible if I can't do the head unit?

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score

jburke90

Reaction score
I take it that these are basically just an easy swap since they're OEM? You're right that that isn't cheap but it's still a lot less than upgrading to one that comes with it so I will prolly consider it at least.

There are some really amazing AM kits that would be awesome to at least have as an option but I guess I am not hopeful I will be able to soon. I actually live chatted with Crutchfield a bit ago and they said don't lose hope, it's only been 2 years XD

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
The two year claim is a little disingenuous on thier part. Ram is on its 6th year of producing the 5th gen 1500. I did a search on Crutchfield for a 2019 Ram 1500 and found that none of their head units will fit according to the website.

Last edited:

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
How big do you want to go? There are aftermarket options for 13+" displays.

jburke90

Reaction score
The two year claim is a little disingenuous on thier part. Ram is on its 6th year of producing the 5th gen 1500. I did a search on Crutchfield for a 2019 Ram 1500 and found that none of their head units will fit according to the website.
It is weird cus so many places recommend them but they seem to be all out ignoring a really popular truck?

jburke90

Reaction score
How big do you want to go? There are aftermarket options for 13+" displays.

That looks really fricking sweet! I am gonna see if I can find the install guide for it. Does this mean the warning for Crutchfield was less "We can't" and more "we don't?"

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
That looks really fricking sweet! I am gonna see if I can find the install guide for it. Does this mean the warning for Crutchfield was less "We can't" and more "we don't?"
Yes, it's not a brand Crutchfield carries, so they aren't going to tell you it's available.

jburke90

Reaction score
Any advice for someone who hasn't done stuff like this in a long time? I see a lot about "radio compatibility" and avoiding to go to the dealer for reprogramming.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Any advice for someone who hasn't done stuff like this in a long time? I see a lot about "radio compatibility" and avoiding to go to the dealer for reprogramming.
Once you install an after market radio you would not be going to the dealer for "reprogramming" as it's not longer something supported in the truck.

This isn't the 90s when you could just swap radios willy nilly,

The one posted in particular I believe works except 360 degree does not show which I assume you don't have on a Big Horn.

You can also upgrade to the 12 inch UC5 OEM unit and re-program itself and not worry about dealerships getting weird with warranty or anything, good chance they will not know it came with UC3 unless you tell them after.

With the 5 inch I believe you have physical knobs and switches for a lot, but on the larger screens you don't get any knobs except volume and tune.

Have you considered working with Mark Dodge and just getting the truck you want with the features already on there? You might not be saving as much as you think once everything is said and done.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Once you install an after market radio you would not be going to the dealer for "reprogramming" as it's not longer something supported in the truck.

This isn't the 90s when you could just swap radios willy nilly,

The one posted in particular I believe works except 360 degree does not show which I assume you don't have on a Big Horn.

You can also upgrade to the 12 inch UC5 OEM unit and re-program itself and not worry about dealerships getting weird with warranty or anything, good chance they will not know it came with UC3 unless you tell them after.

With the 5 inch I believe you have physical knobs and switches for a lot, but on the larger screens you don't get any knobs except volume and tune.

Have you considered working with Mark Dodge and just getting the truck you want with the features already on there? You might not be saving as much as you think once everything is said and done.
Only issue with doing a UC5 swap is getting update files. Ramcares has basic shut down posting the files here

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Only issue with doing a UC5 swap is getting update files. Ramcares has basic shut down posting the files here
.... You mean Ramcares scared you (or the owner?) with fake claims of legal action on bogus claims?
Firmware update files are not source files nor are they any kind of protected file\information.
That means people can't sell Mopar parts like the Rambox adjustment tool as those are not for sale to the public either, gota shut down the entire sales section too based upon the above thinking
Sad that the complete joke that is "Ramcares" is succeeding in bullying you guys.

Ill gladly host firmware files somewhere, easy to even convert it to a torrent and just let it live all over too but that does limit the people who can download it due to the technical knowledge and fear around torrents. I didn't realize this has become a problem.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
.... You mean Ramcares scared you (or the owner?) with fake claims of legal action on bogus claims?
Firmware update files are not source files nor are they any kind of protected file\information.
That means people can't sell Mopar parts like the Rambox adjustment tool as those are not for sale to the public either, gota shut down the entire sales section too based upon the above thinking
Sad that the complete joke that is "Ramcares" is succeeding in bullying you guys.

Ill gladly host firmware files somewhere, easy to even convert it to a torrent and just let it live all over too but that does limit the people who can download it due to the technical knowledge and fear around torrents. I didn't realize this has become a problem.
They definitely didn't scare me. But it wasn't my call to delete the posts with links or have members remove the files from their Google drives.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
They definitely didn't scare me. But it wasn't my call to delete the posts with links or have members remove the files from their Google drives.
I understand.
Lots of people get scared with a large company throws a bunch of legal terms, and can even cause a problem even if you aren't breaking the law.
Are people allowed to PM people for direct links on the forums? Or is there anther method so I can still share what I got without breaking an arm or a leg?

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I understand.
Lots of people get scared with a large company throws a bunch of legal terms, and can even cause a problem even if you aren't breaking the law.
Are people allowed to PM people for direct links on the forums? Or is there anther method so I can still share what I got without breaking an arm or a leg?
Seems as long as the links arent publicly posted then big corp can't do anything. There are still a couple threads with UC4 update files in them that haven't been reported. But they are pretty quick to report posts with UC5 files.

There's not really a way for them to do anything to the forum for having the links. And I doubt they would do anything other than threaten users to share them. Unless they can somehow prove that the user was the one who obtained the files directly from Stellantis.

jburke90

Reaction score
If I go AM and something came up (unrelated to the head unit) for which I wanted to engage the warranty, would putting the old head unit back on be enough or does changing it out void the warranty no matter what?

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
If I go AM and something came up (unrelated to the head unit) for which I wanted to engage the warranty, would putting the old head unit back on be enough or does changing it out void the warranty no matter what?
Could post this a million times over, but unless you break it your warranty is fine.

What I am saying is lets say there is an issue with your AC. Maybe a complaint that it's not splitting properly. They could give you problems because the control unit is the radio, which you swapped so you would need to swap back for them to service it, if they think that could be the issue.

Obviously any issues with your new head unit Ram will not work on and you would warranty it with the company you bought it from.

There are a LOT of things that go through the radio so it's just something to keep in mind.

jburke90

Reaction score
Awesome, this was super helpful! Thanks to everyone who helped. Gonna research some head units but the one already posted is high on the list of possibilities.

Users who are viewing this thread