5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Advice on what what Blue Ox SwayPro WDH to start with

bazbob

Reaction score
I have a optioned up 2020 1500 Limited with the 5.7 hemi+ e-tourqe, 3.92 AR and with Payload sticker is ~1,100. I found and purchased a travel trailer that will fit my low end payload, Grand Design 2150RB with dry hitch weight of 427 lbs on UVW of 5,200 lbs. Max GVRW of the trailer is 6,690 lbs. I'm guessing loaded ready for camping I'll be 550-600 lbs max on the hitch. The dealer is suggesting the Blue Ox SwayPro for the WDH and after reading some reviews I'm thinking it probably is what I'll go with.

My question is that with the air suspension from the truck already correcting the squat factor of the trailer and that the "bowing" of the torsion bars is necessary for the sway control to work properly on the SwayPro, what weight class bars would be the best? The choices are the 550 lbs bars or the 750 lbs bars.

Any thoughts on how the Ram's air suspension plays on WDH's ability to engage anti sway measures that are typically geared for trucks that don't have air suspension and load leveling?

Zeronet

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’d go with the 750 bars for sure.

I have the air suspension and I’m using the Blue Ox with 1500 bars even tho my tongue weight is 840-870. But there’s also the weight of the hitch itself and anything heavy in the bed. Was using the 1000 bars but they were maxed out. More options for how much weight to distribute and easier to hitch/unhitch with the heavier Bars.

If I had severe payload limitations and a trailer with that lower tongue weight I would also consider the Andersen No Sway hitch. Works well and weighs a lot less (~40lbs less than Blue Ox). That’s 40 lbs payload for you to use for other things.

Last edited:

bazbob

Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestion on the Andersen hitch. I'll do some research on that one.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

bazbob

Reaction score
@Zeronet . Thanks again for that suggestion about the Andersen hitch. I like the setup and simplicity of the chains being adjustable over having to used a tuned bar. How did I not find this hitch sooner. :) I appreciate the suggestion and I'll be talking to my dealer about having them prep this for me when I pick it up.

Coopers_Dad

Reaction score
I used a Blue OX this year and didn't really like it. I used an Equalizer for the previous 4 seasons and much preferred it. I never seemed to find a chain link which gave me the sway mitigation I was used to with the Equalizer. Using a breaker bar and socket did make the tensioning of the system easier but it's still sketchy. I did look at the Andreson when I got my Equalizer but I couldn't find any real feedback on how it work with a trailer like mine.

I've purchased a Hensley for the 2020 season.

Ram92131

Reaction score
@Zeronet . Thanks again for that suggestion about the Andersen hitch. I like the setup and simplicity of the chains being adjustable over having to used a tuned bar. How did I not find this hitch sooner. :) I appreciate the suggestion and I'll be talking to my dealer about having them prep this for me when I pick it up.
Just curious if you went with the Andersen WDH. If you did, how do you like it?

Boston

Reaction score
Equalizer is my preferred wdh. I much prefer a solid metal bar over chains.
Don't forget they will also transfer some weight to the front axle improving braking, steering something the air suspension can't do.
Think there is also a special protocol to follow with air suspension to set up your wdh properly.

dannw1431

Reaction score
I have a optioned up 2020 1500 Limited with the 5.7 hemi+ e-tourqe, 3.92 AR and with Payload sticker is ~1,100. I found and purchased a travel trailer that will fit my low end payload, Grand Design 2150RB with dry hitch weight of 427 lbs on UVW of 5,200 lbs. Max GVRW of the trailer is 6,690 lbs. I'm guessing loaded ready for camping I'll be 550-600 lbs max on the hitch. The dealer is suggesting the Blue Ox SwayPro for the WDH and after reading some reviews I'm thinking it probably is what I'll go with.

My question is that with the air suspension from the truck already correcting the squat factor of the trailer and that the "bowing" of the torsion bars is necessary for the sway control to work properly on the SwayPro, what weight class bars would be the best? The choices are the 550 lbs bars or the 750 lbs bars.

Any thoughts on how the Ram's air suspension plays on WDH's ability to engage anti sway measures that are typically geared for trucks that don't have air suspension and load leveling?

I have used the Blue Ox Sway Pro WDH for a year now. I’m not satisfied with the sway when traveling 63+mph on a windy day or when a TT passes me. I worked with the customer service people who were very helpful / patience with me. But in the end nothing changed. I’m looking for a new WDH now.

Here’s my setup;

‘21 Ram 1500 5.7L 3.92, 4 corner air suspension

Payload 1358lbs

30ft Travel trailer. CAT scale weighed 6040lbs

Blue Ox Sway Pro WDH

Hitch weight measured 12% / 768lbs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DWAM

Reaction score
Identical situation, only mines a 2020. After even watching the back of my trailer swaying back and forth while the truck body was fairly stable I said something has to change. I worked with Blue Ox re: my SwayPro also, nothing changed. Finally out of wanting to get this over I bought a Pro Pride 3P... cha ching! But it works, no more sway, the whole unit feels like one. The only last item to take care of is wanting to reduce some of the normal rear end sway and I may address that with a Hellwig sway bar. Good luck

HEMIJAKE

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm using an equalizer but my weights seem to be very similar to yours. Roughly ~5,000 # and 500# tongue weight. I have 800# bars if that helps you. No air suspension, but I do have airlift 1000 rear bags.

Markvv

Reaction score
I had the blue ox sway pro now have the track pro. I find the track pro works better than the sway pro but I think with blue you have to use heavier bars than what you think. I would probably use the 1000lb bars with your set up, my dealer allowed me to exchange until I got the right ones. The air suspension is a bit tricky at first because it masks improper WD.
Watch this video on air suspension on ram pick ups.

Users who are viewing this thread