5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Advice Needed

armymp1130

Reaction score
I have a 2020 ram bighorn with the factory 18’s and im replacing them this week with 20x12’s nitto 420’s 305/50r20 should i get an alignment?

Brain h

Reaction score
I have a 2020 ram bighorn with the factory 18’s and im replacing them this week with 20x12’s nitto 420’s 305/50r20 should i get an alignment?
Yes.
Always get an alignment when swapping rim and or tire sizes.

Grayman5752

Reaction score
No, not necessary. You aren’t changing anything with the geometry of the suspension so therefore an alignment is not required.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brain h

Reaction score
No, not necessary. You aren’t changing anything with the geometry of the suspension so therefore an alignment is not required.

False.
When you change tire and or rim sizes you are directly affecting the factory alignment or "geometry"
Each tire and rim setup is different, different toe in/out..camber, wheel spacing etc.

Grayman5752

Reaction score
False.
When you change tire and or rim sizes you are directly affecting the factory alignment or "geometry"
Each tire and rim setup is different, different toe in/out..camber, wheel spacing etc.

Negative. All alignment angles are set by the vehicle’s steering and suspension components (tie rods, control arms), none of which are being touched with a tire/wheel swap. The center of the wheel hub is the culmination point of all these angles. Tires and wheels have no toe/caster/camber built in to them like you implied. With this mentality you would have to do an alignment every time you rotated your tires because of factors like uneven tire wear. Not the case. You can have a high negative offset wheel with a deep lip sticking way out or a stock wheel - the mounting point is still the same. Even if the diameter of the wheel/tire is larger and the vehicle will sit higher off the ground, the alignment angles don’t change. It is only sitting higher because there is more wheel and tire between the center point of the wheel hub and the ground, not because the suspension has been lifted.

PorBoy

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Wow I can’t wait to see the outcome of this yes / no outcome. I personally have my alignment checked after an install just to be sure lol.

Brain h

Reaction score
Negative. All alignment angles are set by the vehicle’s steering and suspension components (tie rods, control arms), none of which are being touched with a tire/wheel swap. The center of the wheel hub is the culmination point of all these angles. Tires and wheels have no toe/caster/camber built in to them like you implied. With this mentality you would have to do an alignment every time you rotated your tires because of factors like uneven tire wear. Not the case. You can have a high negative offset wheel with a deep lip sticking way out or a stock wheel - the mounting point is still the same. Even if the diameter of the wheel/tire is larger and the vehicle will sit higher off the ground, the alignment angles don’t change. It is only sitting higher because there is more wheel and tire between the center point of the wheel hub and the ground, not because the suspension has been lifted.
Ok dude.

Brain h

Reaction score
Just out of curiosity, are you a master technician?

Many moons ago I was an A.S.E. certified tech.
(Over 20years ago)
Never was a master tech, left that trade and went into aircraft. I liked the steady paycheck more than being paid labor per job.

Grayman5752

Reaction score
Many moons ago I was an A.S.E. certified tech.
(Over 20years ago)
Never was a master tech, left that trade and went into aircraft. I liked the steady paycheck more than being paid labor per job.
Gotcha. I can respect that. If that’s your opinion on how it should be done then that’s cool. But using common sense based on knowledge of how steering and suspension components are adjusted and work together would show that an alignment would not be necessary in this case.

I wasn’t trying to start an argument, was just trying to save a dude some coin so that he can use that $100 or so for gas or future mods.

Brain h

Reaction score
Gotcha. I can respect that. If that’s your opinion on how it should be done then that’s cool. But using common sense based on knowledge of how steering and suspension components are adjusted and work together would show that an alignment would not be necessary in this case.

I wasn’t trying to start an argument, was just trying to save a dude some coin so that he can use that $100 or so for gas or future mods.
A little passive aggressive but ok.

Atlantic Blue

Reaction score
I'm no master anything and I recommend folks get Lifetime Alignment for $150 to $200. That way you can get an alignment for any reason like tire changes, suspension repair or modification, pot holes etc.

I always get an alignment after tires to make sure everything is in spec, to ensure longest tire life.

Users who are viewing this thread