5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Adjust Power Running Boards Extend Speed?

stevestrike

Reaction score
I don't have high hopes for this one, but I figured it won't hurt to ask. Is there any way to speed up the speed at which the power running boards extend? I notice constantly that they aren't ready for me when I go get into the truck--for example today when it's pouring rain and you go to jump in the truck. I end up stepping on the half-deployed step, and I doubt that's good for the motor/system. Thanks in advance

djjr50

Reaction score
I don't have high hopes for this one, but I figured it won't hurt to ask. Is there any way to speed up the speed at which the power running boards extend? I notice constantly that they aren't ready for me when I go get into the truck--for example today when it's pouring rain and you go to jump in the truck. I end up stepping on the half-deployed step, and I doubt that's good for the motor/system. Thanks in advance
I second this question. Takes too long to deploy. I bet this would require cracking open the controller (if it has one) or installing a faster motor. In a basic Google search, seems like some aftermarket ones deploy faster.

stevestrike

Reaction score
I second this question. Takes too long to deploy. I bet this would require cracking open the controller (if it has one) or installing a faster motor. In a basic Google search, seems like some aftermarket ones deploy faster.
I was hoping that a modification could be made with some sort of electrical component change/swap on the boards, but I simply do not know enough about this kind of thing to gain any headway on it. Seem like they could/should deploy 50-100% faster than they do in order to be ready when people try to step in or out of the vehicle.

BPA5150

Reaction score
Why don’t they just stay extended when parked? It could be an option in settings. I mean if you park, get out and lock the doors you‘re obviously gonna want them extended to get back in, right? Would be especially helpful when it’s raining. :)

djjr50

Reaction score
Why don’t they just stay extended when parked? It could be an option in settings. I mean if you park, get out and lock the doors you‘re obviously gonna want them extended to get back in, right? Would be especially helpful when it’s raining. :)
Interesting...Only retract when driving? Only detriment is the looks (based on your preference, of course).

djjr50

Reaction score
I was hoping that a modification could be made with some sort of electrical component change/swap on the boards, but I simply do not know enough about this kind of thing to gain any headway on it. Seem like they could/should deploy 50-100% faster than they do in order to be ready when people try to step in or out of the vehicle.
I am only moderately clued in on how electronics work. Not enough to take apart my perfectly working steps. Main thing to determine is the controller and the motor type. Certain motors have to have their voltage increased to make it go faster.

jimk hunt

Reaction score
You can deploy the steps under controls. If you do this they will stay deployed after closing the door and then retract when you're in motion after re-entry.

Cravenfan

Reaction score
You can deploy the steps under controls. If you do this they will stay deployed after closing the door and then retract when you're in motion after re-entry.

Although, it is not intuitive, for my 1500 Limited, it is under the backup, or surround camera views. The bottom half of the 12" screen shows you options to deploy, or retract steps, heated seats, heated wheel, etc. I couldn't find it at first, until I got help from this forum. I just did it this morning at work, raised up the suspension to the highest OR2 setting and deployed the steps for a barrier from idiots who open doors into new vehicles. :rolleyes:

BPA5150

Reaction score
Yeah I know you can manually deploy them but who wants to do that every time you park? I’d like the option to auto deploy when parked and retract when driving. I don’t mind the look when it’s parked, I mean all running boards that aren’t power (most) are “deployed” all the time anyway. Just my two cents.

Or are you saying that’s exactly what happens when you deploy thru settings? They’ll auto deploy every time you park and auto retract when you drive? Or do you need to do that every time you cycle the ignition? I’ll do some experimenting to find out…

BPA5150

Reaction score
Tested, and nope. If you manually deploy when stopped they’ll retract when you drive off but then it reverts back to default... deploy/retract with the doors open/close.

jimk hunt

Reaction score
Tested, and nope. If you manually deploy when stopped they’ll retract when you drive off but then it reverts back to default... deploy/retract with the doors open/close.
Yup, that's how it works. Not a big deal for me as I raise to max and deploy everytime I park. Hopefully keeps the idiots from dinging my truck.

Users who are viewing this thread