5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Addressing Maxtrac Lowering Kit Issues/Alternative

willogical

Reaction score
Hey guys -- I've looked through 15 pages worth of lowering-kit-threads here on the forums and am left even more confused than when I started.

Here's where I'm at a loss (and I'm fully aware it's because I don't know enough about how my truck works):

- I want to lower my truck, not lift it
- I've seen photos of RAMs dropped 4" in the rear and 2" in the front (both on this forum and IG) and think it's the perfect height
- Ideally my ride would stay as close to stock as possible (of course, right?)

A lot of my research led me to this kit: 2019-2021 Dodge RAM 1500 2wd/4wd 2/4" Lowering Kit - MaxTrac K332724

But I'm a little afraid bc of these reviews:

I purchased this kit for my truck with high hopes but unfortunately it falls short. First of all the parts look great and the truck looks awesome. The front struts work well. I don't really notice much difference in ride quality in the front from stock. But that's really all that's good. The rear needs a lot more r&d it's way too soft and bottoms out on everything. The truck has a weird vibration now at different speeds. The rear shocks literally feel like they are not doing anything at all. Once the rear of the truck is fully on the ground the rear springs are almost completely compressed. I had very high hopes for this kit but it just falls short. I've had tons of lowered vehicles and this kit is by far the worst riding one I've had. I bought helper bags and that seemed to help the problem but I'm still disappointed in the kit. The rear feels like it's not been designed for this year truck.

Specifically -- bottoming out on everything (I'm guessing they mean that the truck rubs when it hits any bump) and the weird vibration. Helper bags apparently help the problem but...I don't even know what helper bags are.

You will have a tough time installing any sort of aftermarket exhaust with piping larger than factory due to the bracket used for the rear axle arm, my Borla Atak exhaust hangs on the driver side due to this and there not being enough room to properly adjust it.

I intend to install a Corsa Xtreme exhaust on my Bighorn and I'm a little concerned if this review is accurate.

All in all -- does anyone have any concrete experience with this lowering kit that could ease my concerns, and explain what half of these parts and needs are? I know modifying suspension in any way is going to affect the ride somehow but I don't want to ruin how the truck drives solely for the aesthetic improvement. Thanks in advance for helping, fellow RAM owners!

Betohemi661

Reaction score
I have the maxtrac kit 2/4 installed on my bighorn. I had the bottoming out issue mostly in the rear the front a slight rub when turning all the way. I have a nasty rear wobble in the rear anything above 75 mph. To remedy that I ordered a core 4x4 control arms and trackbar. Also decided to throw on a hellwig sway bar. Here the issue I’m running into the track bar relocation bracket will not work with the hellwig sway bar since its a different shape from stock once installed. So the track bar would obviously not fit with the bracket. Since mine is adjustable shop recommended to remove the bracket and go without it now im rubbing on the exhaust over big bumps when the track bar hits it.

Users who are viewing this thread