5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

AdditionalZF 8 speed transmission service information

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
From website: gearsmagazine.com, Jan 16, 2020.

The ZF 8-Speed Transmission Fluid and Filter Change​

i won’t copy and paste it however it is from a shop standpoint on what to tell a customer about changing the trans fluid and the costs...

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Changing trans fluid has always been a very similar opinion as "What oil is best?" in my mind. You have anecdotal evidence all across the board on what to do. Some guys, on a recommended 50k mile change interval, have never changed it in 300k miles. Some change it every 25k because it gives them reassurance, and then their trans blows up.

I want to know Ram's thoughts on what "life of the vehicle" entails. For me, normal expected life of a vehicle is 250k miles. Some people take theirs farther than that, some shorter, but that's a 20 year old vehicle for me, and I don't want to trust 20 year parts that haven't been changed.

jdefoe0424

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The interval from ZF is between 50-75k miles, assuming it's based on use. If towing then 50k mi, otherwise you can wait until 75k mi, or change it whenever you feel like it.

I believe the life of a transmission is based on how it was used or if it was abused. Of course you are still going to have some that just happen to last longer than others.

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Other FCA, Jeep and RAM forums have said a 60k (miles) change interval was suggested. This was from data obtained by posters who found that the ZF 8 speed used in other makes had that maintenance interval.

jimchi

Reaction score
From the manual:
Fluid And Filter Changes
Under normal operating conditions, the fluid installed at the factory will provide satisfactory lubrication for the life of the vehicle.Routine fluid and filter changes are not required. However, change the fluid and filter if the fluid becomes contaminated (with water, etc.), or if the transmission is disassembled for any reason.

jdefoe0424

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That's what FCA put in the manual(and all auto mfgs with ZF transmissions), however ZF(the manufacturer or designer depending on application) recommends every 50-75k miles.
For a true passenger car they will possibly be ok to 150-175k without a change, but if you have something where you're towing or hauling frequently, high temperatures etc...I know that the elevated temperatures do not do the fluid any good at all.

Edit: I just looked at the HD manual and it specifies to change the fluid in the ZF at 60k severe and 120k normal service.
Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Aseras

Ram Guru
Reaction score
yeah and this is assuming FCA even filled the transmission in the first place. from some posts it seems you can drive several thousand miles with no fluid at all.

Grape_Ape

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Link to the Article OP was referring to

Thanks for sharing. If you posted a link I couldn’t get it to work so thought I’d share it here so others don’t have to google anything. I personally will always, at a minimum, do a drain and fill on my transmission fluids every 60,000 miles on all of my vehicles. It’s just easy to do and we all know “lifetime lubricants” is a loaded term.

The article has a lot of good info though and that will be very helpful for me as I have the ZF 9 Speed in my wife’s Pacifica as well. It...has not been quite as pleasant as our 8 speed however.

Nails

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’ll be doing fluid exchange at 30k then filter at 50-60k depending how the fluid looks during exchange.

joefriendly

Reaction score
WOW! I have a 2014 ram eco diesel with 140,000 miles. Never change tranny fuild. Dealer said seal unit, It does not even have dip stick , and it's Zf 8 speed transmission? So what are you talking about? I have 2021 Long horn ordered!

Users who are viewing this thread