5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Adding trailer wiring?

Reaction score
Contemplating buying a used 2020 1500 Warlock, which doesn’t have a receiver on this particular one. I was going to add one which is easy, but was wondering about the wiring? Do they run wiring back there standard from the manufacturer where all I would have to do is get the connection to plug into the factory harness somewhere in the back there (I believe one site called it a “us car connector”, round plug with 7 pins) and then mount the new hookup point into my bumper and I’d have trailer lights and wires for brake controller and such??

1Mopar

Reaction score
Contemplating buying a used 2020 1500 Warlock, which doesn’t have a receiver on this particular one. I was going to add one which is easy, but was wondering about the wiring? Do they run wiring back there standard from the manufacturer where all I would have to do is get the connection to plug into the factory harness somewhere in the back there (I believe one site called it a “us car connector”, round plug with 7 pins) and then mount the new hookup point into my bumper and I’d have trailer lights and wires for brake controller and such??
You can buy a connector at your local parts store that would wire by disconnecting the harness at the tail light and plug into your 7 pin connector, then reconnecting the tail lights. You can also get this connector at Uhaul that sells parts for towing. I have done thus in the past on my old truck.

Reaction score
You can buy a connector at your local parts store that would wire by disconnecting the harness at the tail light and plug into your 7 pin connector, then reconnecting the tail lights. You can also get this connector at Uhaul that sells parts for towing. I have done thus in the past on my old truck.
Yeah it’s not so much the tail light features I’m worried about, but more so the brake controller. I know there’s adapters and such to make anything work one way or another pretty much. Was going to buy an oem controller so was hoping to just be able to plug everything in through factory harnesses. Just wondering exactly what wiring comes factory regardless of model to see exactly how much of a hassle it would be to add these things, and figure out which route I would go as far as the controller if factory wiring isn’t already ran standard for it to be added easily, because if it isn’t then I’d look into aftermarket controllers if I’d have to go through the hassle of running wires through the whole vehicle or something.

1Mopar

Reaction score
Yeah it’s not so much the tail light features I’m worried about, but more so the brake controller. I know there’s adapters and such to make anything work one way or another pretty much. Was going to buy an oem controller so was hoping to just be able to plug everything in through factory harnesses. Just wondering exactly what wiring comes factory regardless of model to see exactly how much of a hassle it would be to add these things, and figure out which route I would go as far as the controller if factory wiring isn’t already ran standard for it to be added easily, because if it isn’t then I’d look into aftermarket controllers if I’d have to go through the hassle of running wires through the whole vehicle or something.
I found the factory controller on ebay for my 2020. It was $ 150.00 which the dealer was $500.00. The only problem I found was that after I install the factory controller you have to get the dealer to flash the computer for
$ 200.00 more. The harness and wires are already pre-wired.

Reaction score
I found the factory controller on ebay for my 2020. It was $ 150.00 which the dealer was $500.00. The only problem I found was that after I install the factory controller you have to get the dealer to flash the computer for
$ 200.00 more. The harness and wires are already pre-wired.
Ohhhhh okay that’s good to know!! Did you buy the truck with a receiver on it and the wires already there, or did you do that yourself also on your 2020 like you did your older trucks? I don’t know if I’m asking my question correctly maybe someone else will understand exactly what I’m trying to figure out ask far as factory harnesses, so I know what I’d be up against.

JF19Longhorn

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If your truck did not come with the trailer wiring / receiver hitch, I wonder if it is missing other things.
(ex Extra cooling capacity for the trans / engine, Tow Haul mode, Batt and/or Alternator upgrade, etc)

Reaction score
If your truck did not come with the trailer wiring / receiver hitch, I wonder if it is missing other things.
(ex Extra cooling capacity for the trans / engine, Tow Haul mode, Batt and/or Alternator upgrade, etc)
Good question. Here’s the link to the one I’m looking at in case anyone can help further. It does have a tow haul mode judging my the picture as it has the button for it so I would assume it does? https://www.carfax.com/vehicle/1C6RR7LT3LS121892

Reaction score
View attachment 86212
I 'think' that is the 4pin/7pin plug on the left of where the license plate would go.
Oh wow I couldn’t even see that on my phone until I really zoomed in it just looks all smudgy!! That’s great thanks.

So what is this “extra cooling capacity and battery/alternator upgrade” someone’s talking about above? Which package would those upgrades normally come in.....?

JF19Longhorn

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm not 100% sure on RAM packages. Until the last year I was a Ford guy (9 Ford trucks so far). With the Fords if you did not get X, Y, or Z towing packages, your truck had a weaker rear, smaller Radiator, smaller transcooler, no receiver hitch or a lesser one, no brake controller, different mirrors, etc.

With RAM's I am not sure how they package things. I'm sure someone with more knowledge on RAM's will chime in.

1Mopar

Reaction score
Ohhhhh okay that’s good to know!! Did you buy the truck with a receiver on it and the wires already there, or did you do that yourself also on your 2020 like you did your older trucks? I don’t know if I’m asking my question correctly maybe someone else will understand exactly what I’m trying to figure out ask far as factory harnesses, so I know what I’d be up against.
I did not buy the kit as of yet. The dealer told me today that they would flash the program in the truck for $ 130.00. The wires are already there. You just have to remove some electrical tape to get to the connectors. There is a youtube video that shows step by step how to do the installation. The youtube Chanel is call "infotainment ".

Users who are viewing this thread