5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Adding remote start?

alexharrel

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Has anyone successfully added remote start to their 1500 at the dealer? I have a 22 Tradesman and the dealer is telling me they can’t add remote start because there is no hood latch wire. I’m hoping I can find someone that has had it done so I can tell the dealership what needs doing.

thanks!

HemiDude

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
It seems like it shouldn't be too difficult for the dealer to install any wiring that is needed for the remote start. You might have to find a dealership with a more tech-savvy shop. If all else fails, you can install an aftermarket version fairly inexpensively. I installed a start-x remote start on mine a year ago, pretty simple project and haven't had a single issue with it so far. Wishing you luck either way.

OldMarine

Ram Guru
Reaction score
almost all dealers sub that work out to an aftermarket company. I wouldn't even bother with a dealer, just take it to a local reputable car audio/detail type shop, and they will get you a better deal and a better remote.

Moosefire66

Reaction score
almost all dealers sub that work out to an aftermarket company. I wouldn't even bother with a dealer, just take it to a local reputable car audio/detail type shop, and they will get you a better deal and a better remote.
The dealer can't just flash the update onto your pcm and reprogram a new remote?!? I figured with how computer-forward everything is on this truck that all it would need is a setting changed from the dealer flash...

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using Tapatalk

OldMarine

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The dealer can't just flash the update onto your pcm and reprogram a new remote?!? I figured with how computer-forward everything is on this truck that all it would need is a setting changed from the dealer flash...

now you're confusing me a little. I'm talking about a vehicle, like a Tradesman, that didn't come with a remote start from the factory, so it has no antenna/receiver for remote signal, and has no remote-start button on the key fob. You can't just flash an ECM and have a remote start in your vehicle, it has to have some hardware too.

Moosefire66

Reaction score
now you're confusing me a little. I'm talking about a vehicle, like a Tradesman, that didn't come with a remote start from the factory, so it has no antenna/receiver for remote signal, and has no remote-start button on the key fob. You can't just flash an ECM and have a remote start in your vehicle, it has to have some hardware too.
I'm actually confusing myself too...

My theory was that the new trucks weren't like the old trucks where you needed wires, relays, boxes, etc...

I just assumed (hoped, since I also don't have remote start) that everything was pre-installed from the factory, it would just need to be "engaged" to work, and then you'd get a new key fob with the remote start clicker on it.

I kind of assumed this was like that after pulsar and some other companies make that thing you plug in to "turn on" options that are installed on your truck but don't have access to since it's apart of a more expensive model type of thing.

OldMarine

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Ok, I think I'm wrong on this one, looks like you don't need any hardware other than the Latch/wire setup, and a new FOB. I'm old, and thinking about the older style where you needed a special receiver installed.

bill-e

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The dealer might see the lack of of the safety latch as a liability and just not want to kludge it.

Users who are viewing this thread