5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Adding Rain Sensing Wipers

Greggvh

Reaction score
As normal not responsible for any modifications you may do to your vehicle.

This is a really simple addition and something that I really missed from my previous truck.

This info from this thread in interior but I figured it belongs here in the mods:

From what it appears you need to have auto climate control so that the vehicle is wired and has the humidity sensor.

Part Number: 68298334AA - this is located behind the rear view mirror.

Just a few pics that might help.
1. Back cover with tabs on each side. I was able to squeeze and get a small screw driver in.
image8.jpeg

2. Inside image of the front cover. The clips are not the same side to side. I found the driver side I was able to pull towards the door some and down and it popped out but then the other one I just had to pull down on the cover but there is a chance that may be able to get a small screwdriver inside once the first cover is off and push it to the side to release it?
image6.jpeg

3. Unplug The sensor. You want to pop the little metal clips off. Everything you see is not the sensor there is a mount that goes around the sensor so you don't want to pry it off you want the sensor sitting inside of it. I used the plug of the sensor to put a screwdriver in and pulled it down. It may have helped the truck was sitting out in the texas heat for some time. But it was still stuck on good. There will be a patch of gel left on the window. Dont touch or try to remove it unless you have a new gel pad.
image5.jpeg image4.jpeg

There was no gel on my new sensor. I looked at the gel that was left and it did not appear damaged so I just stuck the new sensor in making sure the metal clips clipped in. They do sell the get pad separately.

The covers have insulators that press against the front windshield to keep it from moving around. Make sure they do not fall when you reinstall the covers.

Pics of the Security Gateway. And I know there are other options for this but this seemed very simple.

Bypass that I use:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B082PTBZ6K/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

1. So this is an image of a mirror sitting on the floor looking up on the drivers side of the footwell. you can see the two plugs that need to be unplugged.
image3.jpeg

2. Plug the two cables into the bypass. I thought the bypass would plug into the box but no it plugs into the cables you disconnected.
image0.jpeg

3. Plug the OBD reader into the bypass and then onto AlfaOBD.

OBD reader I use:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073XKQQQ...wg=pMwFw&ref_=sbx_be_s_sparkle_mcd_asin_0_img

image1.jpeg

Enabled the following in AlfaOBD:
VehConfig 2-Rain Sensor Present
CustSetMenu 1-Rain sensitive wipers CSM

The wipers seemed to start working right away. The setting in the app did not show up tell the next morning.

TNrover

Reaction score
Seems simple enough. Bought the sensor for ~$60 so I'd say this is a must do upgrade!

Sent from my KFMAWI using Tapatalk

Ldc2335

Reaction score
Just got the truck about a week ago. Got rai sensing wipers working tonight. The worst part was scraping and goo gone-ing the old gel off the windshield. New sensor came with the gel installed on it.

Hasn't shown up in the menu yet, but I put it in drive with my foot on the brake and poured water on the sensor and they turned on. I'm in Florida, it rains every damn day here. These are nice to have.

Also got the fog light dropout changed. Alfaobd is legit.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Jiraola

Reaction score
Question, I have a JScan but I don’t see anything related to wiper other than a high/low. When I install the sensor will something show up?

Wikielliot

Reaction score
Just did mine, took me less than 15 minutes to do the installation, super easy and convenient. There was no hassle removing the old sensor and adding the new one and through alfaobd was 5 minutes, tested and app already on the system

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

joseph_butler

Reaction score
Question, I have a JScan but I don’t see anything related to wiper other than a high/low. When I install the sensor will something show up?
In JScan I went to accessories then did a search for rain. Found rain sensor and enabled it. FYI, the free version of JScan will not all you to change the setting. I had to pay $22 to add my VIN. No other setting changed. Show up immediately in my radio settings after I restarted the truck.

joseph_butler

Reaction score

This is a really simple addition and something that I really missed from my previous truck.

This info from this thread in interior but I figured it belongs here in the mods:

From what it appears you need to have auto climate control so that the vehicle is wired and has the humidity sensor.

1. Back cover with tabs on each side. I was able to squeeze and get a small screw driver in.
image8.jpeg

2. Inside image of the front cover. The clips are not the same side to side. I found the driver side I was able to pull towards the door some and down and it popped out but then the other one I just had to pull down on the cover but there is a chance that may be able to get a small screwdriver inside once the first cover is off and push it to the side to release it?
image6.jpeg

3. Unplug The sensor. You want to pop the little metal clips off. Everything you see is not the sensor there is a mount that goes around the sensor so you don't want to pry it off you want the sensor sitting inside of it. I used the plug of the sensor to put a screwdriver in and pulled it down. It may have helped the truck was sitting out in the texas heat for some time. But it was still stuck on good. There will be a patch of gel left on the window. Dont touch or try to remove it unless you have a new gel pad.
image5.jpeg image4.jpeg

There was no gel on my new sensor. I looked at the gel that was left and it did not appear damaged so I just stuck the new sensor in making sure the metal clips clipped in. They do sell the get pad separately.

The covers have insulators that press against the front windshield to keep it from moving around. Make sure they do not fall when you reinstall the covers.

Pics of the Security Gateway. And I know there are other options for this but this seemed very simple.

Bypass that I use:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B082PTBZ6K/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

1. So this is an image of a mirror sitting on the floor looking up on the drivers side of the footwell. you can see the two plugs that need to be unplugged.
image3.jpeg

2. Plug the two cables into the bypass. I thought the bypass would plug into the box but no it plugs into the cables you disconnected.
image0.jpeg

OBD reader I use:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073XKQQQ...wg=pMwFw&ref_=sbx_be_s_sparkle_mcd_asin_0_img

image1.jpeg

The wipers seemed to start working right away. The setting in the app did not show up tell the next morning.
Followed your instructions. When I poured water over my sensor nothing happened. I guess I need either a new sensor or gel. Any thoughts?

MannyN

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Followed your instructions. When I poured water over my sensor nothing happened. I guess I need either a new sensor or gel. Any thoughts?
Did you turn on the wipers on the steering wheel? They need to be tuned on to the first notch.

joseph_butler

Reaction score
Did you turn on the wipers on the steering wheel? They need to be tuned on to the first notch.
I did turn it to the lowest setting (one notch on) and then poured a 16oz. of water over the sensor, but the wipers did not respond. The wipers work, as soon as I moved the wiper to the first notch, they moved across the windshield, but not when I poured the water.

wacopolumbo

Reaction score
Thanks. I did this mod today. The option showed up within a couple minutes in my screen too. Easy peasy.

Update 6/1/23

Finally got some rain and the wipers work great. I use the second notch. Also, I don’t get any random wiping when it isn’t raining or on start-up. It’s a great mod that only required buying the sensor.

Thanks!

Last edited:

jeremymayflower

Reaction score
Anybody have some help for why my parking light is on now that I’ve done this task?

dlwolf123

Reaction score

image8.jpeg

image6.jpeg

image5.jpeg image4.jpeg

Bypass that I use:

image3.jpeg

image0.jpeg

OBD reader I use:

image1.jpeg

It seems my 2023 Lone Star already has a sensor installed however I do not have rain sensing wipers as a option, I assume I just need to program or is that a different sensor I am seeing that looks the same?

skyhawk42

Reaction score
It seems my 2023 Lone Star already has a sensor installed however I do not have rain sensing wipers as a option, I assume I just need to program or is that a different sensor I am seeing that looks the same?
There are actually sensors that appear the same but are not. Mine had the humidity sensor and I swapped it for the rain/humidity sensor and made the 2 changes in Alfa and now have rain sense wipers. The new part was: 68298334AA

dlwolf123

Reaction score
I did turn it to the lowest setting (one notch on) and then poured a 16oz. of water over the sensor, but the wipers did not respond. The wipers work, as soon as I moved the wiper to the first notch, they moved across the windshield, but not when I poured the water.
Any luck ever figuring this out? I am seeing the same right now..

cskindt

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Any luck ever figuring this out? I am seeing the same right now..
It's likely you don't have the correct sensor.
The correct part is a rain/humidity sensor. You probably have just a humidity sensor.
Then enable the feature in the BCM with AlfaOBD and enable it in UC. It will work.

dlwolf123

Reaction score
There are actually sensors that appear the same but are not. Mine had the humidity sensor and I swapped it for the rain/humidity sensor and made the 2 changes in Alfa and now have rain sense wipers. The new part was: 68298334AA
followed the flow and appreciate the reply - new sensor installed and plugged in, programmed and enabled in uconnect on screen however you mention "2 changes" what are you referencing with that?

dlwolf123

Reaction score
It's likely you don't have the correct sensor.
The correct part is a rain/humidity sensor. You probably have just a humidity sensor.
Then enable the feature in the BCM with AlfaOBD and enable it in UC. It will work.
I just installed the correct sensor and programmed/have the setting in uconnect now. Switched to the first notch and further notches sprayed water with the vehicle on with no luck though enabled in the menu.

cskindt

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I just installed the correct sensor and programmed/have the setting in uconnect now. Switched to the first notch and further notches sprayed water with the vehicle on with no luck though enabled in the menu.
Change 2 parameters in the BCM and install the correct sensor. That's all I did. I have a '22, though.
Did you triple check everything?

dlwolf123

Reaction score
Change 2 parameters in the BCM and install the correct sensor. That's all I did. I have a '22, though.
Did you triple check everything?
I figured out what might be the issue..I ordered the correct part then the Mopar team decided to update my order to part number 68298468AA, I went back and triple checked the original receipt vs what they sent and sure enough before sending it was updated. I will have them send me the correct part and report back here on status.

Users who are viewing this thread