5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Adding OEM Air Suspension

Nozzleman

Reaction score
Is this doable? Can I add the OEM air suspension on a big horn?
If so, more or less what would it cost and would it work like the factory would come?

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

sgk

Reaction score
The simple answer from what I know is Nope, however, it's not impossible but just not practical. I would say its on the same lines as can you add a 40/60 barn door tailgate afterward. I would say no that's not possible either but if you're willing to pay for it, all is possible, just need an entirely new bed with that tailgate.
I would suggest selling and buying a new one with it. (only if its a must-have for whatever reason that is)
Sorry no idea what the cost would be.

VaBeachRam

Reaction score
With truck prices today just sell yours a buy one with it. Way less headache and much easier, probably cheaper in the end

Last edited:

IvoryHemi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That would be quite an expensive project. I agree with above, best to sell and start over.

Nozzleman

Reaction score
Understood. Thanks guys.

Klicht87

Reaction score
Understood. Thanks guys.

I'm sure aftermarket air bags are much cheaper than installing factory air suspension. You would have to also add the switch bank for the center stack, and bcm update that probably won't work smoothly, suspension components and compressor. Like everyone said, sell and buy one with it. Not sure what exactly your using it for but I test drove a laramie with coils and it rode really smooth. The laramie i purchased has air suspension and rides very nice with the added benefit of lifting back up with weight in the back.
If I were in your shoes, just look aftermarket.

Dirtdoc

Reaction score
Timbergrove makes a great rear coil replacement air setup that is fully automatic. Had this on my 2018 longhorn and it worked and road awesome.

X-Wrestler

Reaction score
I'm adding bags to my truck for towing purposes. I don't agree with what everyone here is saying. By going aftermarket, I was able to get a way better system than OEM and better bags.

I'm using the Air Lift 74000EZ with 7500XL bags. It's wireless, has a remote and an app and the entire install will be around 3-4 hours.

I guess there could be a difference between full suspension and just adding bags for towing, but there are 4 way systems out there too.

Klicht87

Reaction score
Nobody said anything bad about adding aftermarket air bags. Adding OEM air bags, I would guess, is not economically feasible if it's even doable.

X-Wrestler

Reaction score
Nobody said anything bad about adding aftermarket air bags. Adding OEM air bags, I would guess, is not economically feasible if it's even doable.
Fair enough, but that seems like splitting hairs. Adding bags is adding bags to me.

Dirtdoc

Reaction score
Adding factory rear air bags is very doable. In fact ridetech makes a rear setup for the ram that is similiar bag to oem. You could also use factory rear airbags and put either ridetech system or timbergrove auto air control on it.

Rau

Reaction score
Adding factory rear air bags is very doable. In fact ridetech makes a rear setup for the ram that is similiar bag to oem. You could also use factory rear airbags and put either ridetech system or timbergrove auto air control on it.
Did anyone actually upgarde to OEM air suspension? There are plenty of used ones that can be bought online. I wonder if it makes upgarde feasible.

Users who are viewing this thread