5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Adding Factory Air Ride

bcarlduncan

Reaction score
Good morning! I’ve seen the threads on adding trailer camera package, and TTPMS, but I haven’t found one on adding factory air ride to a 2019 2500. Anyone has done this before?

I am mainly looking to add this to help with 5th wheel camper towing.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Haulindogs

Reaction score
Good morning! I’ve seen the threads on adding trailer camera package, and TTPMS, but I haven’t found one on adding factory air ride to a 2019 2500. Anyone has done this before?

I am mainly looking to add this to help with 5th wheel camper towing.

Thanks!

In two weeks I’m adding Air Lift bags to the rear suspension when they do my 3.5” lift. I Cary about a 600 lb load with my Smart Cap Topper, Bed Slide, dog crates and two dogs. With that load my truck sets level but with a 5K + load, the rear suspension is about 3” lower than the front. With the trailer stabilization it still pulls like a dream. But I don’t think overloading the springs and shocks over the long haul is wise idea, So I decided to add the air bags to my 2021 Ram 1500. You may want to check to see if this would solve your 5th wheel load problems without the expense of adding the factory air ride package. A additional plus to adding a rear lift bags is you can have air on hand to fill tires. If you spend much time on the interstate hwy’s, air and water are slim to none at most gas stations or truck stops now days. I will post a update on the air lift soon as I can.

bcarlduncan

Reaction score
I’ve had air lift kits on multiple previous trucks, hate the ride it caused when empty. Really looking for factory kits to keep the ride quality

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
It could be done, but it would take a lot of work. As far as I know, no one has done it yet on this forum. It would be easier and probably better, to just add the Air Lift helper springs.

Trooper4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hitch installer toasted mine and it cost them five grand just for the lines and compressor. Add the bags and it might be cheaper to trade in and by one with the option.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Since our Rams have factory coils, is extremely easy to add rear air suspension in place of the coils. Not all aftermarket brands ride bad. Firestone makes great bags, they just need to be paired with the proper shocks.

Here’s an example of what I’m talking about. The total cost would be about $900 with the tank and compressor, and I think is a better solution. If you wanted to go all out, you could get electric manifolds to control the air and tie them to the factory switch below the infotainment center. If you wanted side-to-side independent leveling though, you would need two switches or another aftermarket leveling module.

bcarlduncan

Reaction score
It's a lot cheaper and easier to buy a different truck.

When you get a 2019 2500 Laramie Longhorn Cummins with 5,800 miles on for $68k, you don’t just trade that in. You’re not gonna find a better deal

Users who are viewing this thread