5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Adding E locker ?

Cuppedup

Reaction score
I’ve been searching for a ram 1500 and can’t seem to find one that I like for the price I’m looking for that has all the options I want. This will be drivin 95% on road, and pretty slick mud off-road the rest of the time. To get the elocker it seems most vehicle are outfitted pretty heavily and out of my price range.

I’ve googled aftermarket Elockers and it seems they’re averaging around $6-$800 dollars, which if I purchased a standard 4x4 ram and added this, would be way cheaper than the heavily optioned rams on the lot with elocker.

My question is...am I u sweats sing this correctly? All I would need to do it buy the elocker and find a dealer to install it? So +/-$700 plus install? Would I need any other equipment? Would the ride be the same as factory? And would this void any warranties?

Fatherof3

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I’m not sure about the warranty but the LSD is pretty good in these trucks but if you’re dead set on an Elocker you can get it from factory even in a Big Horn with the ORG .

Aseras

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It is probably doable, but a lot of work. Best bet would be to find a wrecked donor, and a reputable body shop with FCA powertrian experience.

As far as warranties and mods the only thing voided are what you modify, and IF the modification causes a direct failure. Adding a elocker is not going to void the whole warranty on the truck if the radio goes out, it has nothing to do with the rear end.

Dealers can hem and haw all they want and flag you but as far as federal and state law goes, they can pound sand and they are legally liable to PROVE that your modificaion caused the direct failure you are claiming warranty coverage. voiding the warranty in bad faith is trebled damages, plus attorney fees and consequential and incendental damages. Adn you can sue in BOTH federal and state at the same time and get a double recovery in many cases as each has a seprerate law that was broken under different jurisdictions, so it is not double jeopardy against the dealership/manufacturer.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I’ve been searching for a ram 1500 and can’t seem to find one that I like for the price I’m looking for that has all the options I want. This will be drivin 95% on road, and pretty slick mud off-road the rest of the time. To get the elocker it seems most vehicle are outfitted pretty heavily and out of my price range.

I’ve googled aftermarket Elockers and it seems they’re averaging around $6-$800 dollars, which if I purchased a standard 4x4 ram and added this, would be way cheaper than the heavily optioned rams on the lot with elocker.

My question is...am I u sweats sing this correctly? All I would need to do it buy the elocker and find a dealer to install it? So +/-$700 plus install? Would I need any other equipment? Would the ride be the same as factory? And would this void any warranties?
I'm assuming you're shopping for a 5th gen here. If that's the case, you just need to find a truck with the off-road group. The e-locker comes with that package. I don't know what area you're shopping in, but where I live there's a lot of used 1500's with the ORG.

KcRay

Reaction score
With the anti spin axle set up Ram has, and some AT tires, you should be fine for what you are describing with no locker.

Cuppedup

Reaction score
I'm assuming you're shopping for a 5th gen here. If that's the case, you just need to find a truck with the off-road group. The e-locker comes with that package. I don't know what area you're shopping in, but where I live there's a lot of used 1500's with the ORG.

What area are you around? I like the off-road group but It’s hard to find that with the 3.21 gearing. Most of the trucks I’ve found with the ORG have the 3.92 gearing. That in combination with sport package is hard to find

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I off-road in 2WD a lot, with air-down tires and not once did I need to use my E-locker. However, I am out in the West, its less mud and more sand I run into.

Aseras

Ram Guru
Reaction score
FWIW the Tazer DT does have a locker type function using the brakes and the steering wheel controls as hotkeys to hold brakes on wheels. might be worth a look.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
What area are you around? I like the off-road group but It’s hard to find that with the 3.21 gearing. Most of the trucks I’ve found with the ORG have the 3.92 gearing. That in combination with sport package is hard to find
You didn't mention the 3.21 gearing in your original post. Definitely more common for people to opt for the 3.92 gears with the ORG, but it's not a requirement for that package. To answer your question, I live in Eastern Washington state.

Users who are viewing this thread