5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Adding BUG and Protection Grp

Dog Hauler

Reaction score
I posted part of this at the end of a long thread elsewhere on the forum but didn't receive a response so I thought I'd try my luck by starting a new thread. Anyway, I'm looking for a 1500 Limited with Ram Box and various options including Bed Utility Group and Protection Package. I found a couple of inventory vehicles that fit my criteria except they don't have the BUG or Protection Pkg. I'm trying to figure out if the components of the those two options are either already included in the limited trim or can be added by the dealer.

Re: BUG -it includes LED bed lighting, cargo divider and tie down hooks. LED lighting is standard on the Limited and the cargo divider comes with the Ram Box. Other threads say that the lighting and cargo divider are the same as with the BUG so all I'm missing from the BUG are the tie down hooks (and the trick sliding tracks). Can the tracks be added by the dealer? If so, does anyone know what it costs to do so?

Re: Protection Package - this package consists of several skid plates. Can those be added by the dealer...it certainly seems like it would be no trick. If so, at what cost?

Thanks in advance for any info. I talked to my salesperson about this and was told that the dealer can add both the tow hooks and skid plates, but the fellow sounded less than confident in his answers.

79 300

Reaction score
I ordered a new Bighorn on Saturday, and the protection group didn't even show up on the dealer's ordering software. It is gone. I really wanted it, but it appears if you want skid plates now you have to order the "off road group" (which has stuff I don't want) or go with the Rebel. The dealer said FCA can make ordering changes any time .

I am not happy about it, and am planning to call Ram customer care when I get a vin.

Dog Hauler

Reaction score
Toward the end it lists what comes with each package... hope it helps.

2019 RAM Brochure

Thanks. That has some interesting information in it and will be helpful in general. I already know what's included in the packages. I just need to know if some individual items from the packages can be added by the dealer after delivery.

Dog Hauler

Reaction score
I ordered a new Bighorn on Saturday, and the protection group didn't even show up on the dealer's ordering software. It is gone. I really wanted it, but it appears if you want skid plates now you have to order the "off road group" (which has stuff I don't want) or go with the Rebel. The dealer said FCA can make ordering changes any time .

I am not happy about it, and am planning to call Ram customer care when I get a vin.

ramtrucks.com still shows the Protection Package as an option on the Limited. Don't know about the Big Horn.

Mike67

Reaction score
Per others the divider does not come with the ramboxes, that is what the BUG gives you, on the limited.

As to the protection package, some of the skid plates are available from the mopar site.
I would check with the dealer and see if they can order and install them.

79 300

Reaction score
It still shows it on the Ram build and price website for the Bighorn but not on the dealership ordering system in the showroom.

Users who are viewing this thread