5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Adding brake controller to Ram 1500 Laramie - Cost/difficulty?

Glenn54

Reaction score
I need to add a brake controller to my 2019 Ram Laramie. I have searched for the subject and see that some have done this on their own. Also aware it has to be flashed after install. I would like to get opinions from anyone that has had it done or done it themselves. Thanks.

TheMopars

Reaction score
Did it myself (except for the flash) and it was really simple. Easy to follow instructions on this site. I
paid about $130 for all the parts. Most dealers around me wanted $199 for the flash, eventually found
one to do it for $125. I retrospect wish I gave that one a go myself as well.

wallyuwl

Ram Guru
Reaction score
A few months ago before buying my truck I saw a video on YouTube how to do it, including flash. Looks pretty easy and about $300 for all parts, IIRC. Truck I bought ended up having it from the factory. I installed it on my old 2018 F150 (including programming in Forscan) and this one looks easier.

Glenn54

Reaction score
A few months ago before buying my truck I saw a video on YouTube how to do it, including flash. Looks pretty easy and about $300 for all parts, IIRC. Truck I bought ended up having it from the factory. I installed it on my old 2018 F150 (including programming in Forscan) and this one looks easier.
Is the brake controller something that is visible? I don't have Max towing but do have the type iv hitch.

wallyuwl

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Is the brake controller something that is visible? I don't have Max towing but do have the type iv hitch.
Visible on the RAM or Ford? On the RAM it is to the left of the tow/haul and parking sensor buttons if you have it. On the Ford it is below the big trailer backup assist dial to the right of the steering wheel. If you don't have it there will be a small coin storage area in its place.

tswea1

Reaction score
I completed this myself, very easy to do in a few hours. Hardest part for me was removing the blank cover to install the actual trailer brake controller switch. I’d highly recommend getting a Bluetooth OBD reader and AlphaOBD($50) to do the flash yourself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread