5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Adding an e-locker?

Jewbacca_l92

Reaction score
Is it possible to add the locking diff? It’s the one option we wish we had since we live on a sandy road that becomes an absolute **** show when it rains and sees heavy traffic.

jaychris

Reaction score
I was told by the service technician at my local dealership that you can install the LSD, but not the e-locker diff.

Chippy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I imagine you could add a 3rd party locker (air or e-lock) pretty easily no? the ECM doesn't care if the rear diff is locked or not and managing when you engage or disengage is up to you (vs the OEM computer auto-unlocking at 25mph)
This

Jewbacca_l92

Reaction score
I imagine you could add a 3rd party locker (air or e-lock) pretty easily no? the ECM doesn't care if the rear diff is locked or not and managing when you engage or disengage is up to you (vs the OEM computer auto-unlocking at 25mph)
I’d like to do that as well but I’d prefer to have it covered by the warranty in case there’s an issue. I’m waiting for an email back from customer support to see if the dealer can install a factory e-locker.

riccnick

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’d like to do that as well but I’d prefer to have it covered by the warranty in case there’s an issue. I’m waiting for an email back from customer support to see if the dealer can install a factory e-locker.

You'll spend five times what an aftermarket system would cost, and a reputable company will warranty their product when installed professionally. Just food for thought.

Jewbacca_l92

Reaction score
You'll spend five times what an aftermarket system would cost, and a reputable company will warranty their product when installed professionally. Just food for thought.
I’m hoping they’d sell it for the 495 it costs as an option. Any experience with aftermarket? Would you recommend one in particular? Im looking at Eaton.

riccnick

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’m hoping they’d sell it for the 495 it costs as an option. Any experience with aftermarket? Would you recommend one in particular? Im looking at Eaton.

The factory option upgrade cost is in no way comparable to the actual cost of having a dealer source all of the parts, and install them. I'm just guessing, but I bet the rear locker assembly from the parts department is over $1,000 alone, never mind the controls for it, labor, switch, fluid, etc etc. And that's IF they can get it to work. What if there's a main harness somewhere that's different on e-locker trucks? Or if they can't set the option code due to something else in your vin. I'm not trying to discourage you, just saying it's a lot more involved than people think, and most dealerships aren't going to be ready with the technical expertise to pull this off, as it's outside of their normal operation. Like I said, not trying to rain on your parade, if you do want to have them do all this, start asking a LOT of questions before signing up for the bill.

Jewbacca_l92

Reaction score
The factory option upgrade cost is in no way comparable to the actual cost of having a dealer source all of the parts, and install them. I'm just guessing, but I bet the rear locker assembly from the parts department is over $1,000 alone, never mind the controls for it, labor, switch, fluid, etc etc. And that's IF they can get it to work. What if there's a main harness somewhere that's different on e-locker trucks? Or if they can't set the option code due to something else in your vin. I'm not trying to discourage you, just saying it's a lot more involved than people think, and most dealerships aren't going to be ready with the technical expertise to pull this off, as it's outside of their normal operation. Like I said, not trying to rain on your parade, if you do want to have them do all this, start asking a LOT of questions before signing up for the bill.
No I definitely appreciate you looking out. In all honesty I’ll probably go the aftermarket route but I do want to get an answer from them too. For the life of me, I can’t seem to find info on how many axle shaft splines there are on the ‘19s though.

riccnick

Ram Guru
Reaction score
No I definitely appreciate you looking out. In all honesty I’ll probably go the aftermarket route but I do want to get an answer from them too. For the life of me, I can’t seem to find info on how many axle shaft splines there are on the ‘19s though.

No idea on that one, all I know is the max tow 4x2 trucks get the 35 spline bigger axles with the Dana 60 center section, but no mention of splines for the rest of the trucks.

jdmartin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Definitely what Rick said. No way you can do that factory, if it could be done at all, for $500. If it could even be done - and I bet no way from the dealer - I would bet $2-3k *minimum* cost. Even a good aftermarket setup is going to run you over a grand.

Locking differential is nice to have but if you already have 4wd you can be just as effective with the proper tires. I live in the mountains and have had locking rears on most of my 4wds and can count on one hand the number of times I've used it in the past 25 years.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Since Ram uses the name “ELocker”, which is actually an Eaton trademark, I’d say you’re looking in the right place.

Users who are viewing this thread