5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Adding a Trailer Brake Controller

cruz-in

Reaction score
Hi All,

WE have been shopping for a 2019 Ram Limited for a good while. Finally found one where the options/price were right. Well almost, only option missing is the Trailer Brake Controller.

I would really appreciate any info on adding a trailer brake controller after market:
1) Do all 2019 Rams come pre-wired?
2) Some instructions I saw indicated, after brake controller install, you needed to get the dealer to do a flash. Thoughts on how hard/expensive this is?

Thanks
Dan

GoMango16

Reaction score
I added a Prodigy2 with a pig tail for it from E-Trailer. They are pre-wired under the dash to the right of the s/wheel. 2 connectors are taped together and stuffed under there...No dealer flash on the aftermarket on mine.

Spe1996

Reaction score
From what I have been able to piece together the trucks are pretty much pre-wired for the OEM controller. The install is supposed to be pretty straight forward but does require a dealer to add the controller as a dealer installed option for the setting to show up on the uconnect.

The service manager at the dealership I bought my truck as well as a forum member stated that the controller is on engineering hold and wont be available till after Jan 1, 2019. There is a controller out there that end in part number AC but from both sources the correct one ends in part # AD

202snowman

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
From what I have been able to piece together the trucks are pretty much pre-wired for the OEM controller. The install is supposed to be pretty straight forward but does require a dealer to add the controller as a dealer installed option for the setting to show up on the uconnect.

The service manager at the dealership I bought my truck as well as a forum member stated that the controller is on engineering hold and wont be available till after Jan 1, 2019. There is a controller out there that end in part number AC but from both sources the correct one ends in part # AD

@Spe1996 is correct in that you will need to have the truck programmed

I had the 82215278AC installed on my Ram by the dealer on 10/11/18 with no issues. I'm not sure why the REV AD is being issued but myself and some others on the forum have the REV AC's

GoMango16

Reaction score
Aftermarket does not have to be programmed to work but it will not show up in the dash. Just the factory one the dealer installed has to be done.

Last edited:

Jordan2929

Reaction score
For anyone who had to get their truck flashed, how much did the dealer charge for it? I plan on installing it myself as it's only 3 screws and a couple plugs (that are already there).

TwinSac

Reaction score
I added a Prodigy2 with a pig tail for it from E-Trailer. They are pre-wired under the dash to the right of the s/wheel. 2 connectors are taped together and stuffed under there...No dealer flash on the aftermarket on mine.
I currently have a Prodigy3 brake controller on my Tundra. If I keep the controller and install it on a new Ram, the only downside would be it doenst sync with the u-connect?? Does this sound about right?

I think the P3 is a great controller and I would just assume keep it.

GoMango16

Reaction score
I have no idea on that. I would not think lt would show up on UConnect.

Users who are viewing this thread