5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Adding a subwoofer to Harmon Kardon system

Gunner115

Reaction score
If this has been beaten to death just let me know but I've done a lot of searching and can't find exactly what I'm looking for, I've seen it done for the Alpine system but not much info for the HK.

I am looking to add a subwoofer to the 19 speaker system and want to know what the best route would be to get signal to the amp. I've seen plenty of posts regarding the PAC AP4-CH41 but not many for the APSUB-CH41. I don't have plans on adding other amps for the speakers, just for a subwoofer that I want to add, and don't know if I can justify the price difference between the two just to add a sub amp.

The other option would be to use the APH-CH03 and a line out converter. I've read that using this combo may not give the "cleanest" sound out to the amp. Anyone out there with info / advice please chime in.

Scap

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Not sure what you're wanting to get out of your system, but I've unplugged my factory sub after upgrading the 6*9's in my doors.

Gunner115

Reaction score
Looking for some bass. I've had subwoofers in just about every vehicle I've owned and definitely missing it in this truck.

Bmelendez18

Reaction score
I have been looking at this as well the HK in my 2022 doesn’t give enough bass. But I am reading you have to disconnect ANC

MikeyHo808

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If this has been beaten to death just let me know but I've done a lot of searching and can't find exactly what I'm looking for, I've seen it done for the Alpine system but not much info for the HK.

I am looking to add a subwoofer to the 19 speaker system and want to know what the best route would be to get signal to the amp. I've seen plenty of posts regarding the PAC AP4-CH41 but not many for the APSUB-CH41. I don't have plans on adding other amps for the speakers, just for a subwoofer that I want to add, and don't know if I can justify the price difference between the two just to add a sub amp.

The other option would be to use the APH-CH03 and a line out converter. I've read that using this combo may not give the "cleanest" sound out to the amp. Anyone out there with info / advice please chime in.

Although I have the Apline system, I do have the APSUB-CH41 installed. To me, The APSUB is perfect for just adding a sub, plus it comes with the ANC bypass cable, something I believe the AP4 doesn’t come with.
I have a powered compact sub hooked to it, and it works perfectly. The bass control, along with the wired remote for my sub, is awesome. I no longer need to deep dive into the audio menu to adjust bass…just crank it, and control output with the APSUB control. Simple to install, and much cheaper alternative if just wanting to add a sub. Good luck👍

Gunner115

Reaction score
Ended up using the pac line out converter with a metra adapter coming right off the old subwoofer connection. Disabled the ANC to make everything work properly. Have no complaints and does what I need it to do.

Users who are viewing this thread