5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Adding a lift/ Wheel Package & Resale/Trade in Value

Scott_65

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I was thinking I want to add a lift/wheel package but will be unloading my Ram in a year or so as I’m going to be getting in the cue for a 2021 C8. So would it would be a waste of $ to only drive it for a year or so lifted or would it add value when selling? I’m guessing private sale yes, trade in no. Thoughts/experiences, I’ve never owed a truck before so I have nothing to reference.

Billy James

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Don't do it; you will be throwing that money away. Dealerships will sometimes take away value on a trade for a modified vehicle. Private buyers will throw CarFax, CarGurus, and KBB numbers at you that don't account for your mods. If you are getting rid of it in a year then you should keep it stock.

Scott_65

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Don't do it; you will be throwing that money away. Dealerships will sometimes take away value on a trade for a modified vehicle. Private buyers will throw CarFax, CarGurus, and KBB numbers at you that don't account for your mods. If you are getting rid of it in a year then you should keep it stock.
Thanks for your input.

STR

Reaction score
Hey Scott, Generally anything that you add you’ll only get a fraction of that back on a trade-in. Retail might be a little better if you can find someone who likes all of the mods, but the pool is limited as everybody has their own personal taste. Obviously tasteful mods are the best...

Personally, I enjoy mod’ing and wrenching on all my vehicles, but I “try” to remove most everything before trading them in, which helps finance future mods. It’s a vicious cycle... ha. I just sold some things today off my Chevy that traded-in that paid for my Borla exhaust, which was more valuable than if I would’ve left it on the traded truck.

Certain mods, like lifts, are a PITA to remove. So you have to factor in the value of your time. Plus, you have to store all the OEM stuff, which isn’t too bad... unless it’s the factory exhaust that I now have sitting in my garage. :rolleyes:

Scott_65

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hey Scott, Generally anything that you add you’ll only get a fraction of that back on a trade-in. Retail might be a little better if you can find someone who likes all of the mods, but the pool is limited as everybody has their own personal taste. Obviously tasteful mods are the best...

Personally, I enjoy mod’ing and wrenching on all my vehicles, but I “try” to remove most everything before trading them in, which helps finance future mods. It’s a vicious cycle... ha. I just sold some things today off my Chevy that traded-in that paid for my Borla exhaust, which was more valuable than if I would’ve left it on the traded truck.

Certain mods, like lifts, are a PITA to remove. So you have to factor in the value of your time. Plus, you have to store all the OEM stuff, which isn’t too bad... unless it’s the factory exhaust that I now have sitting in my garage. :rolleyes:
Yeah I have my stock exhaust and CAI sitting in the garage which I figure I can swap out along with removing the Diamondback cover but then I have to find buyers for the stuff. I don’t know maybe I’ll just leave it alone and not sink anymore money into it. The way the BG factory is producing C8’s I may end up having to wait for a 2022!

Reactions: STR

STR

Reaction score
Love my Z06... looking forward to the C8 version, although bummed that they discontinued the manual. Hopefully they’ll bring it back (y)
0A533D48-8A3E-4253-9DB7-923110B1C4A2.png

STR

Reaction score
... congrats on the C8. Hopefully you’ll get it soon(y)

Users who are viewing this thread