5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Adding 1 more inch

JohnProvident

Reaction score
Just wanted to see some opinions. I have an ORP with Bilstein 5100 shocks front and back. So I technically have an overall 3 inch lift. I have the 5100s in the back too. My control arms are good for up to 4 inches so I was thinking about adding 1 inch spacers front and back to get that last inch of lift.

Thoughts and opinions?
I’m not worried about the ride quality I’m curious of the health of the truck doing this.

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Terrible idea… its not just the control arm angles to worry about its also the angle of the cv axles along w/ other components. Once you go over 3 inches you need to get into one of the more pricier lift kits that will drop and relocate the differential, correct the pinion angle etc.

JohnProvident

Reaction score
Terrible idea… it’s not just the control arm angles to worry about it’s also the angle of the cv axles along w/ other components. Once you go over 3 inches you need to get into one of the more pricier lift kits that will drop and relocate the differential, correct the pinion angle etc.
The reason I asked about this is because I had seen others on this forum say once you get passed 4 inches is when you have to worry about that.

CHeYeNNe71

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Max 3.5 Front, plus Bilstein doesn't recommend using spacers with their lift struts. 4" and above needs a differential drop. Spacers are garbage on the front anyways with IFS.

JohnProvident

Reaction score
It’s hard to find this info online. I’m just curious all what you actually have to do to lift your RAM lets say 5 or 6 inches?

CHeYeNNe71

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It’s hard to find this info online. I’m just curious all what you actually have to do to lift your RAM lets say 5 or 6 inches?
Proper lift kit that cuts the crossmember up front to drop differential and longer knuckles to keep CV axles in proper alignment. Same with anything 4" and above.

All the parts pictured,

JohnProvident

Reaction score
Proper lift kit that cuts the crossmember up front to drop differential and longer knuckles to keep CV axles in proper alignment. Same with anything 4" and above.

All the parts pictured,
One day…

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I think Carli stated 2.5" is the max they would go with the RAM's suspension, but they are probably a bit conservative. I'm assuming that 2.5" is the max before drop-down kits need to be installed.

JohnProvident

Reaction score
I think Carli stated 2.5" is the max they would go with the RAM's suspension, but they are probably a bit conservative. I'm assuming that 2.5" is the max before drop-down kits need to be installed.
Yea im at 3” right now and I haven’t had a single issue. But this is where I’ll leave it for now

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Yea im at 3” right now and I haven’t had a single issue. But this is where I’ll leave it for now

Absolutey. Carli usually pretty conservative, I'm sure it's about wear on certain components which you probably wouldn't see for many thousands and thousands of miles, if at all.

JerryBsizzle

Reaction score
Yea man don't do it. IMO you are tempting fate with even 3", but if you are good hopefully it stays that way. Once you go with a 4" or 6" lift there is no going back stock. Here is a good illustration of an OEM steering knuckle on the left and a BDS 4/6 knuckle on the right. I use my stock control arms on the 6" lift (they suck though and will upgrade to something beefier).

bds.PNG

CHeYeNNe71

Ram Guru
Reaction score
BDS does 3" with no issues, same as Eibach. RC does 3.5, but I've heard of both BDS Fox coilovers and Eibach coilovers have some adjustability for 3.5 MAX. I wouldn't push it past there.

boogielander

Ram Guru
Reaction score
the correct way to do this would be trade in your truck with IFS and get a 2500 with solid axles. That way, you don't have to worry about CV, UCA, messing up your frame with no additional benefit, and using spacers on IFS.

Users who are viewing this thread