5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Added Wireless QI Charger to my 2020 Ram Bighorn

BugGuy

Reaction score
whatever the dealer is doing to charge you is crazy too much.

you would literally better off to get the software (alfaobd), the SGW bypass, the obd reader, and the charging parts yourself than to pay them the once.

at least you would get to keep the software to enable features for next time and pull diagnostic info on your own.

Looks like the charging module is $300-$400 plus installation and programming. Not really worth it. Will either copy OP's idea or see if I can find a pad that fits perfectly into the console and use that.

moparleo51

Reaction score
I originally was looking to add the Mopar Wireless Charging Accessory to my 2020 Bighorn but did not feel like having the dealer enable it for me. The install seemed pretty straight forward but having to pay the dealer to program the truck so it could be used just didn't sit well with me.

So i thought about another way of adding QI Wireless Charging.

I picked up one of these pads from Amazon (CHOETECH Wireless Charger, 10W Max Qi-Certified Fast Wireless Charging Pad)
View attachment 43061

One of these cables from Amazon (Right Angle Micro USB Cable Short,SUNGUY Reversible 1FT 3pack 90 Degree)
View attachment 43062

Some 3M Molding Tape
View attachment 43063

For the installation, i taped the charging pad so that when i place my phone in the phone holder, i could still have a cable attached to the phone.

Here are some pictures of the unit installed.
View attachment 43064
View attachment 43065
View attachment 43067

All in, it cost me about $23 for the solution. It may not be as clean looking as the OEM solution, but it works :)
i seen your idea and bought the same things, but when i plug the cable into either slot 1 or 2 of the usb s, my charger wont stay lit. the green light on the pad flashes a green then goe off and on ,not constint. i did notice the plug end of the new 90 degree cables end is more oval and the chargers end is like the b stle i believe, i tested my theroy and when using the supplied cable and plugging it the usb in the center console plug it works. i like your setup but i cant get it to stay on. any ideas??

kilcher

Reaction score
I think that looks real nice. If it weren't for Carplay I definitely would have done this.

Maverick4

Reaction score
i seen your idea and bought the same things, but when i plug the cable into either slot 1 or 2 of the usb s, my charger wont stay lit. the green light on the pad flashes a green then goe off and on ,not constint. i did notice the plug end of the new 90 degree cables end is more oval and the chargers end is like the b stle i believe, i tested my theroy and when using the supplied cable and plugging it the usb in the center console plug it works. i like your setup but i cant get it to stay on. any ideas??

I too copied OP's idea and bought the same materials. I'm having the same issue as you. I haven't tried the center console yet. I like the setup and would like to make this work. Have you found a fix for this yet?

papester

Reaction score
I too copied OP's idea and bought the same materials. I'm having the same issue as you. I haven't tried the center console yet. I like the setup and would like to make this work. Have you found a fix for this yet?
Not sure by what you mean bu "staying on". My LED will only be on when it senses the phone is on top of it. All the other times, the LED is off.

Maverick4

Reaction score
Not sure by what you mean bu "staying on". My LED will only be on when it senses the phone is on top of it. All the other times, the LED is off.

When I plug the usb chord (whether I use the 90 degree or the choetech) into the usb slot 1 or 2, the led light on the charger flashes green. And will not consistently charge. It recognizes the phone but almost immediately disconnects. However, I did try moparleo's idea and plug it into the usb slot inside the console. Charger works flawlessly that way. What I am trying to figure out is how to make it work by utilizing the usb slot above the phone holder.

papester

Reaction score
Not sure, but mine works fine in those two ports. maybe there is an issue with your USB hub for those ports? Can you try another charger?

Maverick4

Reaction score
Not sure, but mine works fine in those two ports. maybe there is an issue with your USB hub for those ports? Can you try another charger?
I will try another charger later today and report back.

Tones1975

Reaction score
Might not be as clean but it didnt cost you an arm and a leg haha. I like this but my Rebel has a CD player there even though I probably wont ever use it. USB cable for now works for me, but damn do I have untidy wires in my way. Nice work man
I have the CD player in my rebel and did a very similar wireless charging pad install; still have room to get a CD in and out if I were actually using the cd player. This solution works very well. Doesn't look factory but definitely looks better than a rats nest of cables.

Maverick4

Reaction score
I have the CD player in my rebel and did a very similar wireless charging pad install; still have room to get a CD in and out if I were actually using the cd player. This solution works very well. Doesn't look factory but definitely looks better than a rats nest of cables.

Do you have a picture of your setup?

Tones1975

Reaction score
I had to use the 110v ac outlet in the console to run mine; had the same problem trying to run it from the usb outlets. Works great now

Damion

Reaction score
Most of the wireless chargers I've seen / have need 2A power supply, if its getting less than that for power that could make them act funny

BugGuy

Reaction score
I just got OP's set up. Haven't installed yet. But in playing with the charger, it seems to blink when it senses the phone, but can't charge (ie placement is less than ideal.) Maybe Maverick and Moparleo can play with placement, to see if that makes any difference.

BugGuy

Reaction score
So I had a chance to play with it in my truck and I'm experiencing the same thing Maverick and Moparleo are. In USB ports 1, 2, and 3 it will connect, lose connection, blink, reestablish connection and repeat. It works like it should in the console USB port and port #4. I'm wondering if that's part of the Carplay issues I have (it sometimes loses carplay connection for no reason). But not sure if that's something that is reportable.

Users who are viewing this thread