5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Added switches and LED to overhead console

rnoggle

Reaction score
I just purchased a 2019 Rebel a couple of weeks ago. Still trying to figure out exactly what I want to do to it.

I plan to add a set of auxiliary back up lights in the rear and a light bar or pair of smaller cubes to the front.
Finding a place to mount the switches proved a little challenging.
I finally came up with this solution. The switches are mounted in the overhead console. I dismantled the console to determine if there was enough space, which there was. Once I cut the rectangular holes, the switches dropped right in.
My truck doesn't have the ambient light option. Just the switch and the useless single light in the overhead console. The 2 little white dots are blue LED lights that are wired into the existing ambient light switch. They can be dimmed via that switch or even turned off.

Then, while I had everything apart, I decided to add a little more red by painting the surround.

i plan to run the wiring for the switches from a relay under the hood, thru the firewall, up the a pillar and under the headliner.
overhead 11.jpg

Zeeya

Reaction score
Looks great, I have almost the identical switches sitting in the garage waiting to put my Rigid light bar in place and my 2 rear lights under the back bumper. (Lights I took off truck I traded in).
I don't have the room you have. The sunroof and other switches take up the entire center and the LED lights run down the side, but will take another look at it. I haven't found a spot for the switches that I really like on the lower panels yet.(y)

Tex_Ram

Reaction score
I just purchased a 2019 Rebel a couple of weeks ago. Still trying to figure out exactly what I want to do to it.

I plan to add a set of auxiliary back up lights in the rear and a light bar or pair of smaller cubes to the front.
Finding a place to mount the switches proved a little challenging.
I finally came up with this solution. The switches are mounted in the overhead console. I dismantled the console to determine if there was enough space, which there was. Once I cut the rectangular holes, the switches dropped right in.
My truck doesn't have the ambient light option. Just the switch and the useless single light in the overhead console. The 2 little white dots are blue LED lights that are wired into the existing ambient light switch. They can be dimmed via that switch or even turned off.

Then, while I had everything apart, I decided to add a little more red by painting the surround.

i plan to run the wiring for the switches from a relay under the hood, thru the firewall, up the a pillar and under the headliner.
View attachment 36948
How hard was it to remove the overhead console? About to be doing something similar and wanting to see what I'm getting into.

TheMadDutchDude

Reaction score
It’s very easy to remove. A couple of screws and a pull (gently!), and it’ll come straight off.

Tex_Ram

Reaction score
It’s very easy to remove. A couple of screws and a pull (gently!), and it’ll come straight off.
Shoot, I just started a new thread asking what was behind those two panels in the middle, you'd be able to tell me since you've had it off. 1572833982072.png

rnoggle

Reaction score
it's an empty space behind there. But it's not deep enough for standard switches. Maybe if you found some type of low profile switch.
I took mine apart and hollowed it out, but it didn't work out.

To remove the console, open the sunglass holder, and remove the 2 screws inside there. Then release the 2 clips that are also inside there. You will have to look up inside to see them. Then gently pull it down. the entire console can be disassembled by removing a few screws and a bunch of clips.

thumbnail_20190924_133921.jpg thumbnail_20190924_135050 (1).jpg

Tex_Ram

Reaction score
Yeah but I have no idea how to go about getting that 3d printed part. I think I'm either going to go simple and try to mount 2 switches one on each side of the rear window switch or go difficult and make a customer fiberglass switch panel to replace the spot where the sunglass compartment is. I'm leaning towards the fiberglass switch panel, may try to find a spare overhead console though so I could use it as the template.

rnoggle

Reaction score
Dodge sells an auxiliary switch panel for the 4th gens that you might be able to incorporate into a custom mount. There are several wiring diagrams on the web to install this.

part number
5164912AC

31IxkVSS4kL._SX355_.jpg

you will also the connector

part number
68057288AA

31IxkVSS4kL._SX355_.jpg 184c0d6d8b03a63cc8942fea3cee9cc4.jpg

Wilsonwanderings

Reaction score
Yeah but I have no idea how to go about getting that 3d printed part. I think I'm either going to go simple and try to mount 2 switches one on each side of the rear window switch or go difficult and make a customer fiberglass switch panel to replace the spot where the sunglass compartment is. I'm leaning towards the fiberglass switch panel, may try to find a spare overhead console though so I could use it as the template.
Did anybody figure out a switch solution for either side of the rear window switch? Seems like M ideal location, but I haven't had any luck finding low profile rockers. Wondering about opening up the rear portion as well to try and fit a standard rocker...

Users who are viewing this thread