5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Added Grille Lights - different style than most

firemedic10584

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Added a set of grille lights. Used the style that basically are prewired with plugs and attach to the grille via 3M double sided tape. I used fuse number 20 (trailer park lamps) as my relay trigger so they only come on when my parking lamps/headlights are on, I didn't want them on all the time. The only "flaw" is they do not make a fuse tap for that style fuse so the trigger wire for the relay is just tucked down on the terminal below the fuse. The main power coming off the fuse block is fused with an in-line fuse. Not ideal having to tuck the wire down in there, but I don't see it causing any issues. Came out real nice. They’re pretty damn bright too.

Kit used - https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/...H8pcbkgzAGVLMb5JDc9R2ps7qEo9BTERdUiRPTcNUCCD0

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    119.6 KB · Views: 134
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    149.5 KB · Views: 133

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
What type of fuse is it? Pretty sure they make a fuse tap for every type Screenshot_20231014-090811.png

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Added a set of grille lights. Used the style that basically are prewired with plugs and attach to the grille via 3M double sided tape. I used fuse number 20 (trailer park lamps) as my relay trigger so they only come on when my parking lamps/headlights are on, I didn't want them on all the time. The only "flaw" is they do not make a fuse tap for that style fuse so the trigger wire for the relay is just tucked down on the terminal below the fuse. The main power coming off the fuse block is fused with an in-line fuse. Not ideal having to tuck the wire down in there, but I don't see it causing any issues. Came out real nice. They’re pretty damn bright too.

Kit used - https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/...H8pcbkgzAGVLMb5JDc9R2ps7qEo9BTERdUiRPTcNUCCD0
Awesome. This is the kit I want to install too. Looks great! I want mine to be on with the engine so I’ll pick a different fuse.

There are many other threads about adding lights and people using all kinds of different fuse locations.

Can you guys post which fuse you used, especially the ones which can actually use a fuse tap, instead of just jamming the wire down into the terminal. I’ll looks through some threads and see what I can find as well

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
On with ignition
F01 - fuel pump
F38 - Drive Train Controller Module
F44 - trailer camera
F60 - ECU

On with headlights

F11 - ID/Clearance Lights - If Equipped
F12 - Trailer Tow Park Lamp (tap into wire)

Tap into front marker lights (LED)
On the 16-way connector that is plugged into the driver side headlight, it is the white wire with brown stripe in position 13. On the connector that is plugged into the passenger side headlight, it is the white wire with orange stripe in position 13.

Still looking. I’d like to know what kind of fuse each location is as well. Will update this post with more info.

Last edited:

firemedic10584

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Awesome. This is the kit I want to install too. Looks great! I want mine to be on with the engine so I’ll pick a different fuse.

There are many other threads about adding lights and people using all kinds of different fuse locations.

Can you guys post which fuse you used, especially the ones which can actually use a fuse tap, instead of just jamming the wire down into the terminal. I’ll looks through some threads and see what I can find as well
I used fuse number 12 under the hood which is the trailer parking lamp circuit. However, there is no fuse tap for that style fuse. My relay / constant power is fused. There are a number of IGN powered fuses under the hood. I wouldn’t use your fuel pump or something crucial to your system just incase something happens. Just my opinion though.

Last edited:

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
I used fuse number 20 under the hood which is the trailer parking lamp circuit. However, there is no fuse tap for that style fuse. My relay / constant power is fused. There are a number of IGN powered fuses under the hood. I wouldn’t use your fuel pump or something crucial to your system just incase something happens. Just my opinion though.
Gotcha. I wouldn’t like to use critical fuses either. @RAM Patriot used f60 for his DRLs, and it seems to work.

I haven’t found a tapable fuse that is only on with the park lamps yet. The mcase style don’t have taps

firemedic10584

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Gotcha. I wouldn’t like to use critical fuses either. @RAM Patriot used f60 for his DRLs, and it seems to work.

I haven’t found a tapable fuse that is only on with the park lamps yet.
Ya it’s just fuse 12 on the park lamp circuit. Or you can tap into the park lamp wire at the headlight, but I personally didn’t want to do that route.

Last edited:

Redz72

Ram Guru
Reaction score
OP, I have the same style lights and was going to install them until I realized I have to remove the grill to run the wire correctly. So I put this project on hold for better weather.

You didn’t happen to find a different route to run the wire without having to remove the grill, did you? And just passing the wire through the active grill shutters isn’t an advisable option. Lol.

firemedic10584

Ram Guru
Reaction score
OP, I have the same style lights and was going to install them until I realized I have to remove the grill to run the wire correctly. So I put this project on hold for better weather.

You didn’t happen to find a different route to run the wire without having to remove the grill, did you? And just passing the wire through the active grill shutters isn’t an advisable option. Lol.
No need to remove the grille. Take the plastic radiator cover off. Then take the trim piece off that's above the grille, not sure of the actual name for it but it's held on by I think 8 10mm bolts and two pushpins. That just slides forward and off the truck. Then take out the 4 bolts that hold the grille on. The two outside tabs for the grille you have to pop up over the little slot they sit on, but that's it. Now you can just pull the grille forward some and feed the wires up right there. There is a foam gasket there as well so the wires are not pinched when you put the grille back into position. But pretty easy and not interfering with anything. Then just route the wires securely toward your fuse box, which is how I did mine at least.

Redz72

Ram Guru
Reaction score
No need to remove the grille. Take the plastic radiator cover off. Then take the trim piece off that's above the grille, not sure of the actual name for it but it's held on by I think 8 10mm bolts and two pushpins. That just slides forward and off the truck. Then take out the 4 bolts that hold the grille on. The two outside tabs for the grille you have to pop up over the little slot they sit on, but that's it. Now you can just pull the grille forward some and feed the wires up right there. There is a foam gasket there as well so the wires are not pinched when you put the grille back into position. But pretty easy and not interfering with anything. Then just route the wires securely toward your fuse box, which is how I did mine at least.
Thanks brother. That’s what I was leaning towards doing. I’m glad it worked out for you that way. I’ll give that a shot when the weather clears up here in beautiful Pennsylvania. Lol.

@theblet I think I am going to tap into my parking light wire. I haven’t found a fuse tap for the mcase style fuses. And I have no buss bar for power under the fuse location labeled id/clearance lights in my fuse box. (I know we spoke about that possibility before)

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
I think you're right - I looked at the fuse amperage rating and not the location lol. So it is Fuse # 12.
That makes sense. I think I’ll use f44 if it comes on with the ignition.

Thanks brother. That’s what I was leaning towards doing. I’m glad it worked out for you that way. I’ll give that a shot when the weather clears up here in beautiful Pennsylvania. Lol.

@theblet I think I am going to tap into my parking light wire. I haven’t found a fuse tap for the mcase style fuses. And I have no buss bar for power under the fuse location labeled id/clearance lights in my fuse box. (I know we spoke about that possibility before)
I’m with ya on that one. I dont think they make mcase taps. Let me know which wire that is if you don’t mind. Idk if I’ll go that route, but would be nice to know.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Looks like maybe F11 for power with lights

Users who are viewing this thread