5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Added engine and tranny skid plate

Rsorrell2

Reaction score
Added engine and tranny skid plate from Dethloff man.

i have the 4x4 off-road package but for some reason FCA does not think you need a skid plate for the engine.

not just for off reading but in case you run over something on the road.

simple and easy install.

complete package.

ElkoNV

My dog thinks I’m cool.
Reaction score
That looks awesome, I love that the pics on the website show a Fumoto valve already installed on the oil pan. One more thing for the wish list. This forum has cost me so much money and the trucks not even in the driveway yet.....

ALT_F13

Reaction score
I still don't understand why RAM 1500 doesn't have any engine or transmission protection. Thanny cooling lines look pretty fragile and they are fully exposed.
I've installed Dethloff skid plate right after I've got my truck a year ago.
Took it off to apply some rust protection on the frame, went offroading and almost hit the tranny on a rocky trail. Installed it back today.
Should be installed from the factory, but even TRX doesn't have it.

AdamChandler

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Shouldn't these bolts on their skid plate be recessed (cone style)? The bolts may shear off if you go over a solid object like a rock or cause more damage to the termination points / threads. I'd prefer they do something with a recessed head.

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It appears they also missed a golden opportunity to build not only skid plates but also extend it to cover the cats (as much as possible) to prevent catalytic converter thefts. I could be wrong based upon the angle of the pics on their site but I'd think there would be a market for these if they also protected the cats from theft.

ALT_F13

Reaction score
Shouldn't these bolts on their skid plate be recessed (cone style)? The bolts may shear off if you go over a solid object like a rock or cause more damage to the termination points / threads. I'd prefer they do something with a recessed head.
I'd say it is very hard to hit those bolts in real life since they are close to wheels, while still possible (but waaaaay less possible then hitting the tranny). I can't imagine how you can tight the bolts from the inside with recessed bolts.

ALT_F13

Reaction score
It appears they also missed a golden opportunity to build not only skid plates but also extend it to cover the cats (as much as possible) to prevent catalytic converter thefts. I could be wrong based upon the angle of the pics on their site but I'd think there would be a market for these if they also protected the cats from theft.
That's true - cats are not covered with this skid plate. Good suggestion :)

Attachments

• photo_2021-08-03_15-21-30.jpg
    photo_2021-08-03_15-21-30.jpg
    154.6 KB · Views: 170

AdamChandler

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'd say it is very hard to hit those bolts in real life since they are close to wheels, while still possible (but waaaaay less possible then hitting the tranny). I can't imagine how you can tight the bolts from the inside with recessed bolts.

True and my caveat here is I run skid plates on all of my motorcycles and I abuse the crap out of them. All of them are completely flush on the bottom and nothing mounts directly to the engine case because you're asking for problem so I applied that logic to trucks which I have no idea the first thing about 4x4 and off roading in a truck or car so I'm out of my element. Just an observation.

outdoorco75

Reaction score
Has anyone else that has installed the transmission skid plate experienced a groan in reverse and creaking when tapping the brakes due to the plate? I removed mine to test it and all noises went away. I had the same problem with skids on my 4Runner which made me suspect it was the plate.

Vulpes

Reaction score
That's true - cats are not covered with this skid plate. Good suggestion :)

Your posts got me thinking, and since the cats are between $2K and $3K, OUCH! They do get stolen, usually with collateral damage like trans and brake lines, so I made some cat guards to compliment the Dethloff skid plate.

I have a Rebel, 5.7L, 4x4. Used 14ga hot rolled steel. Next time I would consider using aluminum, and a different mount than the rear stud sitting below the frame, as it might get sheared off by a Murphy's Law rock...

Photo Jan 17, 2 43 26 PM.jpg
x

ALT_F13

Reaction score
Your posts got me thinking, and since the cats are between $2K and $3K, OUCH! They do get stolen, usually with collateral damage like trans and brake lines, so I made some cat guards to compliment the Dethloff skid plate.

I have a Rebel, 5.7L, 4x4. Used 14ga hot rolled steel. Next time I would consider using aluminum, and a different mount than the rear stud sitting below the frame, as it might get sheared off by a Murphy's Law rock...

View attachment 117564
x
I've just painted my cats orange and ethed my VIN on them so they are easily identifiable as "stolen" ;)

Vulpes

Reaction score
I've just painted my cats orange and ethed my VIN on them so they are easily identifiable as "stolen" ;)
I hear that method can be a deterrent. I sure hope you don't have to pick your cats out of an evidence pile ;). Anyways, I have a template with measurements and will share if anyone wants a head start on making their own cat covers that attach to the Dethloff skid plate.

Users who are viewing this thread