5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Add me to the list of leaking truck owners

cevans6318

Ram Guru
Reaction score
2021 ram 1500 with only 500 miles. I’ve only had the truck maybe 45 days. Came home this afternoon and the entire windshield was fogged. Got in the truck and started looking around and found the back wall by the rear window is completely wet. Kind of a shame. Carpet is not wet only the back wall behind the paneling is wet. I know there are vents on the back wall so before I rush to the dealer is this a normal scenario or an actual leak within the truck. I live in South Florida so it has been raining on and off all week long and hard at times so I figure if there was a leak within the truck I would see it but I only see the back wall that is wet.
1E4216DC-18C9-4CA3-A96C-CC91984CECC2.jpeg 2AE0F53F-7889-4B6C-A4F9-2676C0ACBC1C.jpeg EA25BBC3-2517-4944-844E-A46C13B120DF.jpeg 5A8EE408-F3E7-46F0-8647-FDF2DC9E17F4.png

Last edited:

Thekidcasual

Reaction score
How did you check th back behind th seats? I don’t have this issue but if it were to arise o wouldn’t know how to even check myself

bigdodge

Happy Ram Owner
Reaction score
you can find all your answers in this thread

cevans6318

Ram Guru
Reaction score
you can find all your answers in this thread

I’m already aware of the cracked window frame issue. I don’t see any cracks on the frame nor do I see any evidence of water anywhere other than the back wall. It has been raining consistently for the past week and hard at times and I figure if there was a actual link within that window the floor should be wet or the carpet at least wet

cevans6318

Ram Guru
Reaction score
How did you check th back behind th seats? I don’t have this issue but if it were to arise o wouldn’t know how to even check myself
I just went underneath the backseats and put my hand behind the paneling on the back wall. I am a technician so it’s first nature to me to inspect my car. Just a little odd that the back wall is wet but neither of the carpet on the floor or underneath the carpet is wet and it has been raining hard for the past week.

bigdodge

Happy Ram Owner
Reaction score
I’m already aware of the cracked window frame issue. I don’t see any cracks on the frame nor do I see any evidence of water anywhere other than the back wall. It has been raining consistently for the past week and hard at times and I figure if there was a actual link within that window the floor should be wet or the carpet at least wet
you should have posted in that thread you would get more responses.

cevans6318

Ram Guru
Reaction score
you should have posted in that thread you would get more responses.
That one didn’t have very many responses as it was. I’m sure this will get a fair share of responses considering half of everyone in this group has had some type of leak at one time or another

yellowboy

Reaction score
Good luck it's trial and error from here.
It could be the window, third light, or antenna. I had all 3 replaced and the last one (antenna) was it.

Johnnyiiiii

Reaction score
For me, it was both those vents behind the seats. Dealer replaced one last year, I replaced the other a couple months ago. No leaks since then. This is on my 2017 Rebel (2022 is on order). South Florida here too.

cevans6318

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So the other day I was just looking around the truck and I noticed the third brake light looked like this on the right side. Not sure if this is my issue or not but for $25 I’m gonna put in a new brake light. I realized my truck is under warranty but I would rather spend $25 and five minutes of my time replacing it then spend hours at the dealer.

Attachments

• 646E0769-B722-4912-A444-DD48D58FA6E6.jpeg
    646E0769-B722-4912-A444-DD48D58FA6E6.jpeg
    158.8 KB · Views: 68
  • 1BBADBA3-DF4A-4940-B4C5-5450C3F20EB6.jpeg
    1BBADBA3-DF4A-4940-B4C5-5450C3F20EB6.jpeg
    156.9 KB · Views: 66

firemedic10584

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So the other day I was just looking around the truck and I noticed the third brake light looked like this on the right side. Not sure if this is my issue or not but for $25 I’m gonna put in a new brake light. I realized my truck is under warranty but I would rather spend $25 and five minutes of my time replacing it then spend hours at the dealer.
Replace the factory gasket with a thicker, RUBBER gasket. The foam gaskets absorb water and then allow water to drip in. I did this on my 2021 first week of having it and knock on wood, have had no issues.

Camelot

Reaction score
My 2021 rear window was leaking. (No cracks) and they replaced the window. So far so good on the window side. They also had to recalibrate the air suspension since the truck was 1" lower on one side.
I know for sure that I will not keep this truck outside of the warranty window, I will sell it before that happens. Clearly these issues should not still be existent this late in production.

cevans6318

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My 2021 rear window was leaking. (No cracks) and they replaced the window. So far so good on the window side. They also had to recalibrate the air suspension since the truck was 1" lower on one side.
I know for sure that I will not keep this truck outside of the warranty window, I will sell it before that happens. Clearly these issues should not still be existent this late in production.
I didn't realize they had such a problem with leaks until after I bought the truck and read on this forum.

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
you have a link to the gasket you used?
It's in here:

Rlaf75

Takes potshots
Reaction score
My brand new 21 BTS was at the dealer last week for a water leak. The replaced the rear window but that was not the problem. They called me and said the truck was done but I couldn't pick it up until the next day. Well, it rained that night while the truck was sitting in their parking lot. First thing I did was reach under the seat when I picked it up and my hand came out wet. I told them to keep the truck until I dont need a snorkel to drive it and left in their loaner. Got a call later that day and they said they found a cab vent was leaking and replaced it. They "tested" it again with a hose and said it was good. I picked it back up and now I'm waiting for it to rain to see if it is "fixed" or not

firemedic10584

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My brand new 21 BTS was at the dealer last week for a water leak. The replaced the rear window but that was not the problem. They called me and said the truck was done but I couldn't pick it up until the next day. Well, it rained that night while the truck was sitting in their parking lot. First thing I did was reach under the seat when I picked it up and my hand came out wet. I told them to keep the truck until I dont need a snorkel to drive it and left in their loaner. Got a call later that day and they said they found a cab vent was leaking and replaced it. They "tested" it again with a hose and said it was good. I picked it back up and now I'm waiting for it to rain to see if it is "fixed" or not
I wouldnt wait til it rains. I'd go out with a garden hose and test it on your own. Make sure the seats / carpets are completely dry beforehand. That way there's only a couple days in between since they last had it. I, knock on wood, haven't had any issues in my '21 BTS other than the AC drain tube being clogged which the dealer did fix. I did replace the gasket on my 3rd brake light like 3 days after I bought the truck just out of precaution and haven't noticed any leaks.

Rlaf75

Takes potshots
Reaction score
I wouldnt wait til it rains. I'd go out with a garden hose and test it on your own. Make sure the seats / carpets are completely dry beforehand. That way there's only a couple days in between since they last had it. I, knock on wood, haven't had any issues in my '21 BTS other than the AC drain tube being clogged which the dealer did fix. I did replace the gasket on my 3rd brake light like 3 days after I bought the truck just out of precaution and haven't noticed any leaks.
Already tried that before I even brought it to the dealer but could not find any water coming in. I even took the seat out of the truck. The dealer hit it with a hose and only found a tiny bit of water. When it sits in the rain it is worse. They are confident it's fixed but being an automotive mechanic for almost 30 years I, myself will only be confident when I see it remains dry after I know when it should've leaked.

MonicaRam

Reaction score
So I have 31,000 miles on my 2019 ram rebel. Back window leaking in two places. They thought it was the third light but they took that out and it was not. They say they have to replace the window. What the heck…? This is almost a $60,000 vehicle.

Users who are viewing this thread