5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Adaptive Cruise

PaulieWalnutz

Reaction score
I’ve loved using this on long drives and on thruways when typically the traffic is pretty light.. I have in the past month began to use it on my commute and there usually is alot of stop and go traffic. Last couple days with speed set at 50 or so and on the smallest interval for follow space, the truck was throwing that BRAKE!! Warning indicator and beeping and I have felt the need to brake in order to not have a close call. Anyone else use it in stop and go traffic? Does this happen?

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I haven't seen that happen on my truck, but I never have the distance set to the smallest interval in city traffic. I usually have that set to 2 or higher in town.

Dmalonecentral

Reaction score
Happened to me one on the highway with no one in front of me. Doesn’t usually happen for no reason in town.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jent

Reaction score
I rarely engage it in heavy traffic. It's well tuned for light traffic that's moving at a similar speed, but not for coming up on sudden stops or stop and go traffic. Accelerates and brakes too sudden IMO. I have tried to adjust the distance to soften it, and it helps but is not enough.

I wish the system had a setting to adjust the acceleration at lower speeds. If speed is under 40mpg acceleration IMO should be mild, and braking should be smoother. Additionally I wish instead of a single distance setting we could set a minimum and maximum distance, allowing slow inputs when vehicles are between those values. But in it's current state the system is not useful in heavy traffic IMO

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I’ve loved using this on long drives and on thruways when typically the traffic is pretty light.. I have in the past month began to use it on my commute and there usually is alot of stop and go traffic. Last couple days with speed set at 50 or so and on the smallest interval for follow space, the truck was throwing that BRAKE!! Warning indicator and beeping and I have felt the need to brake in order to not have a close call. Anyone else use it in stop and go traffic? Does this happen?
I use it all the time in traffic, and I have to set it to the shortest distance just to keep from being endlessly cut off by impatient drivers.

I don’t think I’ve seen the behavior you’ve described on my ‘19. It could be that the programming is just a little different.

The only drawback, in my opinion, is that I still have to pay attention when using adaptive cruise in full stop-and-go traffic (between stop-start and the cruise wanting to resume) to avoid the parking brake engaging. Sometimes adaptive cruise isn’t worth it in that situation!

Users who are viewing this thread