5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Adaptive Cruise Control

Deriggs007

Reaction score
Quick question.

If your truck comes to a complete stop and traffic starts moving again, does your truck start moving as well, or are you having to press the gas to "overide" the system and then let it do its thing? This is my first vehicle with the feature and I assumed it was "automatic" but today when it came to a complete stop, it would not go and needed to press the gas for it to go again.

sticker500

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Quick question.

If your truck comes to a complete stop and traffic starts moving again, does your truck start moving as well, or are you having to press the gas to "overide" the system and then let it do its thing? This is my first vehicle with the feature and I assumed it was "automatic" but today when it came to a complete stop, it would not go and needed to press the gas for it to go again.

Depends on how long it was stopped.

grinch72

Reaction score
Quick question.

Less than 2 seconds and it will start automatically. Anything longer you need to start it. I don't hit the gas, I simply hit the resume button on the steering wheel. Much easier in my opinion.

Egwinjr

Reaction score
Yup have to hit the gas which I find pretty pointless. My wife’s XC90 meanwhile will articulate the throttle again even after sitting at a traffic light.

Not a completely useless feature but not as good as it could be.

Deriggs007

Reaction score
Yup have to hit the gas which I find pretty pointless. My wife’s XC90 meanwhile will articulate the throttle again even after sitting at a traffic light.

Not a completely useless feature but not as good as it could be.

Yeah, pretty gimmicky. I sometimes wonder if I should had saved $10,000 and picked up a Bighorn and got most of what I wanted.

The level 2 package tacked on an extra $3,000 over the level 1 and gave you not much in features, but allowed you to tack on like the ASG, but the adaptive cruise control is gimmicky unless you're on the highway. The reason I picked it up was because of all the construction in my area where it could be useful, but it's not.

Tom488

Reaction score
Quick question.

From your Owner's Manual:

In the event that the ACC system brings your vehicle to a standstill while following a target vehicle, if the target vehicle starts moving within two seconds of your vehicle coming to a standstill, your vehicle will resume motion without the need for any driver action. If the target vehicle does not start moving within two
seconds of your vehicle coming to a standstill, the driver will either have to push the RES (resume) button, or apply the accelerator pedal to reengage the ACC to the existing Set Speed.
NOTE: After the ACC system holds your vehicle at a standstill for approximately 3 consecutive minutes, the parking brake will be activated, and the ACC system will
be cancelled.

Aggressorblue

Reaction score
To piggy back on the thread, how is the following distance for the adaptive cruise on the 2019s? I’m really eyeing up this feature for the stop-n-go, as my daily commute up 476 in the Philly area sees a lot of slow downs to ~5 MPH followed by speeding up to ~50, so it seems like the 2 second stop requirement isn’t much of an issue.

However, in my wife’s Forester, the adaptive cruise, even when on it’s closest follow-distance setting, leaves a major “feel free to cut in front of me” size gap between me and the vehicle in front (think half a dozen car lengths at 70 MPH). Sure, somewhere at a teenage driving school, someone is teaching new drivers that’s how things work, but I need a system that works in the real world.

Years ago I remember hearing that the Chrysler Adaptive cruise had the most aggressive follow distance settings, and am wondering if that’s still true.

rrbhokies

Reaction score
To piggy back on the thread, how is the following distance for the adaptive cruise on the 2019s? I’m really eyeing up this feature for the stop-n-go, as my daily commute up 476 in the Philly area sees a lot of slow downs to ~5 MPH followed by speeding up to ~50, so it seems like the 2 second stop requirement isn’t much of an issue.

However, in my wife’s Forester, the adaptive cruise, even when on it’s closest follow-distance setting, leaves a major “feel free to cut in front of me” size gap between me and the vehicle in front (think half a dozen car lengths at 70 MPH). Sure, somewhere at a teenage driving school, someone is teaching new drivers that’s how things work, but I need a system that works in the real world.

Years ago I remember hearing that the Chrysler Adaptive cruise had the most aggressive follow distance settings, and am wondering if that’s still true.
All I know is that I get nervous using it with the Ram. The issue isn't when driving on a highway and maintaining a safe distance, but for around town and stop and go, I find it to be bordering on dangerous. Let's take the example that you are on a limited highway and cruising along at 55 or 60mph and you have quite a bit of distance between you and the next car. A stop light comes up and the car in front stops. If the setting is set to the furthest distance, the truck will start very hard braking too soon which could cause a car behind to not react quick enough and rear end you. If the setting is set to closest distance, the truck will wait until the very last second to start braking and brakes so damn hard, it seems like the Emergency Braking forward collission is going to go off. It's downright scary, and I find it dangerous and untrustworthy. I will only use it during normal highway traffic but will not use it around town or in stop and go traffic.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score

Its not that aggressive. When I’m in town (off highway), I keep it on the shortest setting (one bar in the display). Even then, it is a little lazy to initially accelerate when the vehicle ahead starts moving. On the highway, I’ll often go with the next-closest setting (two bars), but I’ll keep it at one bar in heavy, slow-moving traffic to avoid being cut off. In my experience, one bar = two car lengths, two bars = three car lengths, etc. It won’t get as close as one car length unless you’re coming to a complete stop.

CityHicks

Reaction score
From your Owner's Manual:

In the event that the ACC system brings your vehicle to a standstill while following a target vehicle, if the target vehicle starts moving within two seconds of your vehicle coming to a standstill, your vehicle will resume motion without the need for any driver action. If the target vehicle does not start moving within two
seconds of your vehicle coming to a standstill, the driver will either have to push the RES (resume) button, or apply the accelerator pedal to reengage the ACC to the existing Set Speed.
NOTE: After the ACC system holds your vehicle at a standstill for approximately 3 consecutive minutes, the parking brake will be activated, and the ACC system will
be cancelled.

Sorry to bring up an old thread, but is there anything on the dash that indicates that the system is now in hold after it waits for >2 seconds? In my wife's 2017 Subaru Outback when the ACC sits for >2 seconds it displays HOLD in the cluster so I know it's waiting for input from me before it can take off again (either by pressing the RES button or tapping the accelerator). There's no indication in the Ram other than the truck not taking off again when traffic starts to move. The green ACC indicator is still showing and the driver assist screen doesn't change.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Sorry to bring up an old thread, but is there anything on the dash that indicates that the system is now in hold after it waits for >2 seconds? In my wife's 2017 Subaru Outback when the ACC sits for >2 seconds it displays HOLD in the cluster so I know it's waiting for input from me before it can take off again (either by pressing the RES button or tapping the accelerator). There's no indication in the Ram other than the truck not taking off again when traffic starts to move. The green ACC indicator is still showing and the driver assist screen doesn't change.
No indication that I’m aware of (other than the truck shutting off when stop/start conditions are met).

GoMango16

Reaction score
Really should not use cruise control in congested traffic.

CityHicks

Reaction score
No indication that I’m aware of (other than the truck shutting off when stop/start conditions are met).

That's what I was afraid of. I've just been pressing the RES button anytime the car in front of me starts to move from a dead stop regardless of whether it initiated the hold or not. It also keeps me more active on the surrounding situation.

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You do understand that's the whole point of adaptive cruise control, right?

Yes, I wish I had it. Traffic is getting worse and worse all the time and it is harder to use the old fashioned cruise control with having to cut it off and resume everytime you come along a slower moving vehicle you can't pass.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Yes, I wish I had it. Traffic is getting worse and worse all the time and it is harder to use the old fashioned cruise control with having to cut it off and resume everytime you come along a slower moving vehicle you can't pass.
Yes - not wishing to rub it in, but adaptive cruise is fantastic for that very situation.

Captrick

Reaction score
You don’t want the truck to start moving through an intersection, or through a construction site or other traffic abnormality automatically when the vehicle in front of you starts moving again. Imagine you’ve approached a police directed traffic flow, and didn’t think of your cruise control setting, because it’s been creeping along for awhile. Officer waves the guy in front of you through, waves for you to stop, but here goes your truck, until you remember you’ve been stop and go for some time. Sure! We’re all too smart to let that happen! Manufacturers should just assume we’re all too smart for that to happen. I love automation. I want it. I have no problem doing something to wake up the truck after a three second stop.

Users who are viewing this thread