5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Active Grill Shutter Code - 5th Gen - Need Help

DenverDoesIt!

Reaction score
I have a 5th Gen 2019 Ram 1500 Big Horn. I have a engine light on my dash. Went to the local parts store and it showed a code related to AGS. So I researched some things on YouTube and pulled my grill off thinking I would just Delete it from the truck. Finding out that there is no bracket that can be purchased to delete like previous generations. I removed the whole AGS assembly, moved the shutters closed with my hands. Then plugged it back in...the shutters opened. They do not close at least sitting in driveway that I can tell.

1) So it appears that perhaps the shutters may be working (at least in one direction from close to open. How can I tell if the AGS is working like it should be..to get it to open and close?
2) If there is an issue and code is correct, how do I Delete this option on 5th Gen Truck? Or do I need to buy a new assembly?
3) Any other advice/knowledge on what may be causing this AGS code if not addresses above.

Thanks in advance.

RedSquirrel

Reaction score
I just figured you could use AlfaOBD to open and close the AGS to verify that everything is operating properly.
Also Alfa might give some more in depth codes to figure out why the shutter is opening all the way as soon as he plugs it back in.

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score
From what I hear, the active air dam uses the same comm line as the shutters, and the most common problem is the air dam actuator getting full of water and corrosion and shorting out the comm line. Easy to try unplugging the AAD and see what happens.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I have a 5th Gen 2019 Ram 1500 Big Horn. I have a engine light on my dash. Went to the local parts store and it showed a code related to AGS. So I researched some things on YouTube and pulled my grill off thinking I would just Delete it from the truck. Finding out that there is no bracket that can be purchased to delete like previous generations. I removed the whole AGS assembly, moved the shutters closed with my hands. Then plugged it back in...the shutters opened. They do not close at least sitting in driveway that I can tell.

1) So it appears that perhaps the shutters may be working (at least in one direction from close to open. How can I tell if the AGS is working like it should be..to get it to open and close?
2) If there is an issue and code is correct, how do I Delete this option on 5th Gen Truck? Or do I need to buy a new assembly?
3) Any other advice/knowledge on what may be causing this AGS code if not addresses above.

Thanks in advance.
Try unplugging the connector for the active air damn behind bumper and clear the code. Chances are it won't come back. for some reason the AAD failing causes a AGS code. If you just unplug the AAD and bag the connector up to keep it dry you won't get any codes.

Users who are viewing this thread