5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Active Air Damper (AAD) Removed...now I have a CEL...Help Please

duracell24

Reaction score
Need some wisdom. Here's what I did...
1. I removed the static front Air Dam with the 15+ screws that held it on.
2. I removed the ENTIRE Active Air Dam (AAD) system including the motor. Zip tied the open plug onto the frame and taped it.
--Truck ran fine for a week. Then got a CEL. Took to dealership. Said it was due to truck sensing there was no AAD motor attached.

3. Added back the ENTIRE AAD system including the motor. Got smart and removed only the actual plastic dam piece. Left the motor and long, silver rod that runs across in place. In my mind this would fix the issue since the motor was now connected.
--CEL remained on for 2 days then disappeared. I figured this was problem solved as the system finally recognized the AAD motor was back.
--After 24 hours of no CEL, it returned this evening!!

Why would it return? The AAD motor is plugged back in. I reverified tonight that it's securely attached. The AAD system is in place minus the long, plastic dam piece that I removed with 4 screws.
Could I have reinstalled it incorrectly? Has anyone else had this issue? Is there some kind of delete kit I can buy to plug into the plug instead of the motor?

In the pics, the yellow circles the plug so you can see it's reconnected. Thanks in advance for any help!

Attachments

• IMG_5262.jpg
    IMG_5262.jpg
    154 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_5263.jpg
    IMG_5263.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 44

amcmac

Reaction score
I am just curious but what would be the reason for removing the damper?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
What year is your Ram? We own two 2020 Ram 1500's (Laramie and Limited). I removed the AAD from both trucks last spring, and neither has thrown a code for anything. Are you sure the code is for the AAD and not for something else? Did you read the code yourself? Others on this forum have also removed this system and saw no trouble code afterwards.

I am just curious but what would be the reason for removing the damper?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My reason was for looks. I like how the trucks look without those. In comparing the fuel economy before and after removing them, the difference is less than 1 mpg.

Attachments

• IMG_0205.jpg
    IMG_0205.jpg
    249.7 KB · Views: 30

duracell24

Reaction score
What year is your Ram? We own two 2020 Ram 1500's (Laramie and Limited). I removed the AAD from both trucks last spring, and neither has thrown a code for anything. Are you sure the code is for the AAD and not for something else? Did you read the code yourself? Others on this forum have also removed this system and saw no trouble code afterwards.

My reason was for looks. I like how the trucks look without those. In comparing the fuel economy before and after removing them, the difference is less than 1 mpg.
It's a 2021 Longhorn. I took it to the dealership when the code was thrown about 5 days after removal. They told me that when they read the CEL it said something about not being able to connect to the AAD motor. They called me and asked where the Air Dams were since they crawled under and saw they were missing. When I told them I removed them for ground clearance/off-roading, they said "Cool, come back and get your truck. Nothing we can do about the CEL then."

I'm going to buy an OBD today to verify

FishOn

Reaction score
I had to remove my AAD and AGS for the needed clearances for my aftermarket grill/bumper/skid plate... The skid actually bolts to the same posts that the AAD sat on.

FishOn

Reaction score

Scmil

Reaction score
Any chance any thing go into the plug? I've had mine completely removed to include motor and have had the plug taped for 4k miles and no CEL.

Users who are viewing this thread