5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Active Air Dam on Air Suspension Truck Retrofit

UnloosedChewtoy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I've driven past Limiteds on the highway going faster than 60mph and the air damn was still down

Aero mode can be disabled in the settings. I wonder if you disable Aero mode, if the air dam will stay down above 60/62 MPH?

mikeru82

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
There’s no doubt it has positive effect, or it wouldn’t be something FCA spent money on. You haven’t been in mass production until you’ve had an argument with the design team over a fifty cent change.

on road experience presents so many variables, it’s hard to measure the effect in a statistically significant way. Cars have air dams for a reason, despite the naysayers scorn. You may not like it, you may not be able to see it or measure it directly, but it’s not there just for marketing.
Absolutely true. I'm not arguing that they don't make any difference at all. But just be aware that things like this are literally tested in a vacuum (wind tunnel), and don't always reflect real life conditions. My experience showed me that I wasn't benefiting enough from them to keep them on my truck.

Especially when it doesn't have to be and it being there costs FCA 100's of Millions of dollars over the production run of the truck.
It's funny seeing everyone say what doesn't matter or impact mileage (gears, air damns, aero mode) on these trucks while complaining about low mileage yet me with those features, am getting better city mileage than some of these guys highway mileage.
No one in this thread said the air dams don't impact mileage. We said they don't impact mileage enough to keep them.

BowDown

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Absolutely true. I'm not arguing that they don't make any difference at all. But just be aware that things like this are literally tested in a vacuum (wind tunnel), and don't always reflect real life conditions. My experience showed me that I wasn't benefiting enough from them to keep them on my truck.

No one in this thread said the air dams don't impact mileage. We said they don't impact mileage enough to keep them.

"No one in this thread said the air dams don't impact mileage. We said they don't impact mileage enough to keep them."

Not much difference between those 2 statements.
Wind tunnel testing doesn't translate to the real world lol, ok

mikeru82

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
"No one in this thread said the air dams don't impact mileage. We said they don't impact mileage enough to keep them."

Not much difference between those 2 statements.
There's a lot of difference between those two sentences, unless you only see things as absolutes.
Wind tunnel testing doesn't translate to the real world lol, ok
Again...that's not what I said. I said that testing in a wind tunnel doesn't always reflect real life conditions. Absolutes again. Why you trolling me bro? LOL In the end You're not changing my views on this and I'm not changing yours. But we are taking this thread way off topic. Although I know you'll have something else to say here, feel free to PM me if you'd like to discuss this further.

OldMarine

Ram Guru
Reaction score
it's a marketing gimmick as far as I'm concerned. Some of you must have magic trucks that suddenly get much better mileage because a little piece of plastic moves under the truck. C'mon...ain't NOBODY getting great mileage with the 5.7....and there's no way in hell you can see what it's doing on some other truck while tooling down the highway at speed.....lol...that's really funny .

Trooper4

Ram Guru
Reaction score

What, might I ask, is "enough"?
That's like saying you get "X-Y-Z" MPG on a short trip and equate that to your trucks long haul MPG. You are just looking through a sippy straw.
Throw away the straw and look at the BIG picture. These aero item are for yearly or lifetime MPG gains, not a trip to the store.
If you want to tear s*!% off your truck that you paid for, knock yourself out, but don't slam someone else for what they want to do to theirs. We come here for ideas and the answers to questions, not to be told what a dumb a** we are.
Play nice or ------.

Last edited:

BowDown

Reaction score
it's a marketing gimmick as far as I'm concerned. Some of you must have magic trucks that suddenly get much better mileage because a little piece of plastic moves under the truck. C'mon...ain't NOBODY getting great mileage with the 5.7....and there's no way in hell you can see what it's doing on some other truck while tooling down the highway at speed.....lol...that's really funny .
20201110_084600.jpg

Yep, I'm getting crap city mileage

OldMarine

Ram Guru
Reaction score
so you're saying without the air dam you would be what?...15.3? ...HA HA HA...ok.

BowDown

Reaction score

What you said

View attachment 82570

Yep, I'm getting crap city mileage
What I said

so you're saying without the air dam you would be what?...15.3? ...HA HA HA...ok.
Quote where I said the air damn was the reason for my mpg, I'll wait
To claim the air damn makes no difference is BS

pMak26

Reaction score
If you want to debate the effectiveness of the airdam, please kindly start your own thread and stop mudding up this one.

This one was started in effort to determine if the airdam can be retrofitted to a truck that did not come with it.

Users who are viewing this thread