5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Active air dam not there???

Kaderast

Reaction score
Just received my Big Horn North Edition that I ordered back a few months ago. Overall very please with the truck.

However, while going over the final build and pricing sheet at my dealership, one of the options was "active air dam delete". It took $80 off the price of the truck. I certainly didn't choose that option when I was ordering my truck with the dealer. Does anyone have any idea why Ram choose to not put one on my truck???

dts828

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just received my Big Horn North Edition that I ordered back a few months ago. Overall very please with the truck.

However, while going over the final build and pricing sheet at my dealership, one of the options was "active air dam delete". It took $80 off the price of the truck. I certainly didn't choose that option when I was ordering my truck with the dealer. Does anyone have any idea why Ram choose to not put one on my truck???
Any chance it automatically deletes it when you order north edition?

Update: probably not the case I've seen them both ways in dealer inventory

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

piening2150

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My daughter has been looking to get a truck so I've been looking at a lot of '21 window stickers helping her search. I noticed a lot of them also show active air dam delete. Probably due to the microchip shortage or supplier issue. They need to keep cranking them out, and the fuel savings is miniscule, so they're deleting them for now is my assumption.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score

It's the same reason for the BSM delete in the Laramie. Parts shortages. I'm afraid it's only going to get worse before it gets better.

Kaderast

Reaction score
Interesting. Thanks for all the insight. I'm sure if I wanted the active air dam installed after the fact it's $1000+....the $80 credit on the invoice was kind of laughable.

IvoryHemi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
While i was sitting at my dealer the other day, I noticed the active air dam delete on the window stickers. So I looked behind the grille only to see what appears to still be an “inactive air dam”

im only guessing here, but it appears that it’s still physically installed but with no chip to make it “active”

043B3C82-97CB-4C02-84DF-D9227E0BB1D0.png
910FFBEA-2009-4D74-8007-DFA571B46589.png

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
While i was sitting at my dealer the other day, I noticed the active air dam delete on the window stickers. So I looked behind the grille only to see what appears to still be an “inactive air dam”

im only guessing here, but it appears that it’s still physically installed but with no chip to make it “active”

View attachment 95870
View attachment 95871
The item in your pic is the active grill shutters. The active air dam is under the front bumper. I'll post a pic after work today, but I'm sure someone else will beat me to it.

Kaderast

Reaction score
Huh. Definitely not on my truck. That's a real bummer. It's just not a Ram truck without the active air dam....

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I would save my gas receipts and send a bill to FCA demanding restitutions for their removal of an energy saving device. At the very least report them to the EPA for their careless attitude towards the environment

singlerail

Reaction score

without me looking , does it have the offroad package? if so thats why its deleted..

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It's a useless option, don't worry about it.
Not completely useless. The AAD means I don't have the huge "lower bumper" that the F-150s have. ;)

I would save my gas receipts and send a bill to FCA demanding restitutions for their removal of an energy saving device. At the very least report them to the EPA for their careless attitude towards the environment
Joking or not, if you accept the truck with the delete listed then it's on you.

Companies are trying to build stuff to sell using the parts that are available (and auto manufacturers are no different). Computer chips are at a premium right now so "extra" stuff that isn't critical to operations are being taken off the list so that the assembly line is still churning out trucks. Blind Spot Monitoring and an electric air dam aren't show-stoppers for vehicle safety/operation and are "nice to have" items but won't stop customers from buying a truck.

GM is doing the same thing with their trucks and the active cylinder management (their version of MDS). They are not offering that due to chip shortages.

Make no mistake though, the manufacturer's are still making money on the lack of standard features. GM is providing a $50 discount on MSRP for not putting cylinder management in their trucks and RAM is providing a $80 discount on MSRP for the active air dam "delete". It costs more money to put that on the truck than what they are discounting so they still make money on the shortage.

without me looking , does it have the offroad package? if so thats why its deleted..
Not true. My ORG truck has the active air dam. The ORG does not delete anything:

ORG.jpg

singlerail

Reaction score
Not completely useless. The AAD means I don't have the huge "lower bumper" that the F-150s have. ;)

Joking or not, if you accept the truck with the delete listed then it's on you.

Companies are trying to build stuff to sell using the parts that are available (and auto manufacturers are no different). Computer chips are at a premium right now so "extra" stuff that isn't critical to operations are being taken off the list so that the assembly line is still churning out trucks. Blind Spot Monitoring and an electric air dam aren't show-stoppers for vehicle safety/operation and are "nice to have" items but won't stop customers from buying a truck.

GM is doing the same thing with their trucks and the active cylinder management (their version of MDS). They are not offering that due to chip shortages.

Make no mistake though, the manufacturer's are still making money on the lack of standard features. GM is providing a $50 discount on MSRP for not putting cylinder management in their trucks and RAM is providing a $80 discount on MSRP for the active air dam "delete". It costs more money to put that on the truck than what they are discounting so they still make money on the shortage.

Not true. My ORG truck has the active air dam. The ORG does not delete anything:

View attachment 96108
alrighty then, just figured since the rebel doesnt have them, the org wouldn't either...

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
alrighty then, just figured since the rebel doesnt have them, the org wouldn't either...
Unfortunately the Rebel is the only one that has a front bumper with "off-roading" in mind. Dumping the AAD gives more ground clearance and a better entry angle.

I'm not a fan of the "moustache" grill but if I would have had the option to get the Rebel bumper I would definitely have checked that box. (y)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread