5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Active Air Dam Check Engine Light

Klaugh95

Reaction score
I have a 2019 ram 1500 5th gen with the 5.7 Hemi 79,000mi. The check engine light has just recently come on and the code is for the active air dam on the bottom of the front bumper. The dealer doesn’t know how much it will be to get fixed but it seems kinda useless. Could I just unplug it? Just looking to get the light off of my dash. Is there a delete option on this? When I go for inspection if that light is on they have to fix whatever is causing it. Any help is appreciated

IvoryHemi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Simply unplugging it will still throw the check engine light

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Plenty of us have completely removed our active air dams with no codes. If it were me I'd unplug the active air dam and then reset the ECU. Ivory you're mistaken in saying that unplugging it will throw a code.

Also be aware that the active grille shutters seem to be in the same system as the active air dam. Some people have reported that it was actually the active grille shutters that caused the code, not the active air dam. If you still have the code after resetting your ECU (active air dam unplugged) there's probably a problem with the active grille shutters.

IvoryHemi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My mistake. I thought he asked about the active grille shutters, which will definitely throw a code. I got lucky with no active air dam

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
My mistake. I thought he asked about the active grille shutters, which will definitely throw a code. I got lucky with no active air dam
No worries. I removed mine a week ago. It's pretty easy to do. I also removed the passive air dam. I like how it looks with no air dams under the bumper. And it gives a few more inches of ground clearance. Meaning I can fit under the front on a creeper for oil changes without needing to use my ramps (air suspension in OR2).

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online