5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Accurately Measure Trailer Tongue Weight from Home

HAL9001

Reaction score
When loading your trailer, it's always good to know its accurate tongue weight to ensure that you don't exceed your truck's rated payload and to ensure that the tongue weight is within the recommended 10%-15% of the trailer's GVW. The problem with that is, it's not always easy or convenient to get to a CAT scale, and trying to measure it yourself from home is tricky. I tried using the lever method with a bathroom scale but the results were not accurate or consistent. Maybe it was just my scale but I didn't get good results and I ended up damaging the scale. It certainly was not meant for something like that.

So, I went back to the drawing board and came up with a very accurate and relatively inexpensive way to measure the tongue weight using a few off-the-shelf components that anyone could build. I call it The Guillotine.

Guillotine.jpg

It's built out of a few 4x4's and uses a Digital Hanging Scale rated to measure over a ton.

1625360612594.png

It's very simple to build and use. It can be built in a couple of hours and disassembled for storage in a few minutes.

To use it, you simply place it under the trailer tongue and then, using the electric trailer jack, slowly lower the tongue onto the hung centerboard. The scale will then accurately measure the tongue weight. It works amazingly well.

With this, you can load your trailer and get instant tongue weight measurements which will allow you to precisely adjust the load. No more guesswork and you'll always confidently know the exact tongue weight when you're ready to tow.

My trailer is parked on a significant incline, so its tongue is up very high to get the trailer level. Therefore, I had to build the frame to be quite high. If your trailer is on level ground it can be built much smaller than shown. The one shown here is 6' 3.5" high x 3' wide.

This worked out great for my purposes, so I thought I'd post it here if anyone else was interested. If so, here are most of the parts you'll need:

1 Digital Crane Scale
3-4 of 4x4x8' (depending on the frame height you require)
2 of 1x6x6' (cut into four 3' sections)
2 of 2x4x2' (for the bottom braces)
4 of 10" Corner Braces
3 of Steel Shoulder Eye Bolts
1 Box (50) of 5/16-in x 2-in Hex-Head Lag Screws
2 of 1-3/8-in x 6-ft Steel Perforated Bars (For the bottom braces. Cut into 18" lengths and double them up for strength).
2 of 1/2" Quick Links (These allow you to adjust the chain to whatever length you need without needing to cut the chain).
Length of chain rated for at least 2000 lbs (I just used a towing chain I already had).

The construction should be obvious from the photo, but let me know if you have any questions. Adjust the frame height to your requirements. Use very large, thick washers on the eye bolts to spread the weight. I used a thick piece of steel I had laying around on the top eye bolt.

Adjust the chain length required using the quick links. You can use a dedicated chain or reuse any suitably rated chain (2000 lbs minimum) you may already have. There is no need to cut it to fit as you can see from the photo, just let the excess hang down.

This rig should be good up to 1500 lbs or possibly more, but please build and use at your own risk as I've only tested it for about 800 lbs so far. All the components I used were rated for over 2000 lbs.

HAL9001

Reaction score
Curious why you didn't just buy something like the Sherline scale?
Because others on towing forums have reported that it's inaccurate and unreliable. I've never used it myself, so I'm not saying that, but I was discouraged from buying one based upon their experiences.

A hanging scale is reliable, accurate, and repeatable, so I thought I try that instead. It was a fun project and the rig doubles as a support stand.

cj7

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Nice work! Would gladly borrow it today, for a hamburger tomorrow...

You already know to make sure the TT is well-chocked, as the metal diagonal braces and short base aren’t going to do much if the TT moves. Is there a way to cal the scale? Many of those cheap imported scales suffer sig drift and reduced repeatability over time.

The Sherline is pretty accurate and reliable if there’s no side loading, and no air bubble. Both can be addressed by the user.

Redfour5

Reaction score

You already know to make sure the TT is well-chocked, as the metal diagonal braces and short base aren’t going to do much if the TT moves. Is there a way to cal the scale? Many of those cheap imported scales suffer sig drift and reduced repeatability over time.

The Sherline is pretty accurate and reliable if there’s no side loading, and no air bubble. Both can be addressed by the user.
Redfour5 looks at the unused wood in the garage and goes and checks Amazon for prices on scales...

HAL9001

Reaction score

The trailer is very well chocked on all four wheels and doesn't move an inch when I use the scale. Safety first!

The scale I used does have a calibration procedure. It comes with an owner's manual and you can download an additional technical manual that goes into even more detail. For the money, it's surprisingly well made and quite sophisticated. I confirmed its accuracy by measuring items of known weights. It's amazingly accurate for something that can measure up to 2200 lbs.

I can't speak for the Sherline scale since I don't own one. I don't know its accuracy. It uses hydraulic pressure for a passive reading rather than a load cell and active electronics like the Crane scale. Its dial only shows increments of 50 pounds intervals whereas the Crane scale has a resolution of 1 pound over the same 2000 lb. load range. A fifty-pound resolution is not that great especially if you factor in any inaccuracies, but if you use it carefully and load it correctly, it should give a decent ballpark reading.

1626440042304.png

With the Crane scale, I can very accurately distribute the trailer's load and see the results instantly even if just a few pounds. I don't think that would work nearly as well with the Sherline scale which is more of a much broader indication of the tongue weight. But that might be good enough for the purpose. So, depending upon what you want the scale to accomplish, choose the one that best suits your needs.

1626440101604.png

I'm simply offing this as an alternative to a Sherline scale for anyone who's interested.

Users who are viewing this thread