5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Acceptable USB audio formats for new U connect

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
I did the 2 ports under the screen, I saw that the USB icon changed/became clickable and it showed that it cannot be read.

The one in the center console arm rest is only charging. the usb ports at the back, I assume only charging too as they didn't showed anything on the uconnect.

I will try with an as good as empty USB stick. It is a pity that it doesn't work. As I want to let it in the car full of MP3s so that I do not need to use the phone as, together with Android Auto, decharges the battery quickly and the wireless charge nor the usb charging is slow.
Food for thought, you can plug in a QC3 charger, or whatever kind you need in the AC plug in your center console, or up top if you don't have an AC plug there is a DC outlet.
yes I did. it is an 128gb stick formatted as ex-FAT32 so not NTFS
My original statement stands correct.
Make sure it's formatted as fat32.
The radio doesn't support extended fat, like lots of other devices that don't.

Ironically if you formatted it NTFS, the Windows format type it would of worked.
Fat32 and NTFS work fine on the radio in slot 1.
Slot 2 appears to just be a charging slot of some kind as the device shows activity lights but never reads, and in the center console is also charging only.

Also USB 2.0 and USB 3.2 both read fine in the radio (as they should) and I tested up to a 128GB drive

I bought this drive for the performance pages before I realized it's broken as hell on the 22s and doesn't stay.
$11 for 32GB

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
thank you for the clear information.
I will format the USB stick to NTFS and put a few MP3 files on it and test it in slot 1 (left port)
cause there is no option to format to FAT32. Only ex-FAT and NTFS.

I have this one:

Specially bought such a small one so I can plug and forget.
That's normal.
Lots of larger flash drives don't generally support fat32 as it's a legacy format, you can't even save single files over 4GB in size on it so generally you would format ex-fat which doesn't have that restriction or ntfs especially on larger drives.

Liquid Li0n

Reaction score
I'm back with an update.

I formatted the same USB stick to NTFS and put a big folder with subfolders on it.
It prompted me with a message when I plugged it in but didn't fully read it, cause I was driving. So the usb stick kept on "reading". after 5 minutes it was still "reading"

I unplugged and put it back in, then I read the message stating that I had to disconnect the other device before I could use this device... which is really strange and a pity actually as I was charging my phone via the USB C port. So I disconnected my phone and then the USB stick got read and an MP3 started playing. But I didn't saw the folder structure or anything. So I could not search for a song, only do the previous and next.

So I will figure it out some more but at least it is working, on NTFS (strange though)

reidcc

Reaction score
I know this is an older thread, and including some other threads- I do not see any conclusive story to what will work for music format on USB Stick. My Ram is just over 2 yrs old, and I originally thought most of my music was formatted as FLAC 24/48(24 Bit/48 Khz, as my 2016 Colorado would see that resolution. That USB stick was originally made for a Pioneer double din that was used in my Frontier prior to that. It worked in the Colorado so I kept it. Anyway- the USB Stick is a Cruzer Blade (USB 2) in 64 gig. When I got my RAM- the stick wouldn't be seen, and it is FAT32. So I dumped everything from the drive and since most all my music is Flac 24/96 or Flac 24/192 I just converted what I wanted to 320K MP3's. I do know how to properly TAG each LP of what I bring over, and ensure I've tagged Title, Album, Artist, Song #, and .jpg artwork at 500 x 500. I currently have 240 folders each comprising one LP, in Artist - LP Title folder name. I still have over 35 Gig left on the stick.

A couple weeks ago- I got a rip of the new Steely Dan Can't Buy a Thrill reissue on UHQR at 24/192.
I then created 3 folders on my stick, One was just Steely Dan - Can't Buy a Thrill, while the other 2 listed in the folder title as Flac-16 and the third Flac 24-48. I also redid the Tagging to LP Name to reflect Flac 16 or Flac 24, as well as each song title to avoid any possible read duplication in Uconnect 4.

As for the results- obviously the 320K mp3's would read and play, the Flac 16(basically stock CD resolution converted to Flac) also was seen and played. The Folder labelled as Flac 24-48 was not even seen, which I assume is because nothing inside it was seen as valid music to the system.

Oh- I almost forgot one step in what I do. Most audio systems cannot handle having folders of music added to a stick, and then expected to play everything in order... I learned that many years ago. Once I've added what I want to my stick- I use a piece of freeware called Drivesort. It can just be clicked on from within File Explorer, and opens in a window. It needs to be configured, and there are some guides out there. It opens the drive and will see the last state of drive. You then click Sort, and it then adds to the file structure- any folders you have just added and gives the a weird version of the name. Click folder/Save and it rewrites the folder mapping. Drive is then 100% available in a car system... it is something to read up on as to WHY it is needed.

Since I need to convert my music anyway from Hi-Rez, whether I do it to Flac 16, or 320K mp3 really makes no matter as the software, process and mechanics to do it are all the same. Size wize- the 320K mp3's win out by roughly half the size of Flac. Will I hear the difference between Flac 16 and 320K mp3? That is a really good question, as with the quietness of the RAM Cab- one might be able to perceive a difference. I'll give that a shot next time I take the RAM to work(I have 2 vehicles and only go to office 1 day a week). Although my other vehicle is a 16 Honda Accord, and I believe only mp3's work there- so its just as well I stay where I am on my USB stick.

Now- if something really could be done with how Uconnect 4 handles a USB Stick- that would be great!!! I am sooo tired of an LP finishing and just stopping...you can't tell the system to just move on to next folder. Once you hit the button to view folders- the system goes all the way back to the beginning alphabetically. Again- it won't pick up from where you are at.

Chris

wegasque

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I know this is an older thread, and including some other threads- I do not see any conclusive story to what will work for music format on USB Stick. My Ram is just over 2 yrs old, and I originally thought most of my music was formatted as FLAC 24/48(24 Bit/48 Khz, as my 2016 Colorado would see that resolution. That USB stick was originally made for a Pioneer double din that was used in my Frontier prior to that. It worked in the Colorado so I kept it. Anyway- the USB Stick is a Cruzer Blade (USB 2) in 64 gig. When I got my RAM- the stick wouldn't be seen, and it is FAT32. So I dumped everything from the drive and since most all my music is Flac 24/96 or Flac 24/192 I just converted what I wanted to 320K MP3's. I do know how to properly TAG each LP of what I bring over, and ensure I've tagged Title, Album, Artist, Song #, and .jpg artwork at 500 x 500. I currently have 240 folders each comprising one LP, in Artist - LP Title folder name. I still have over 35 Gig left on the stick.

A couple weeks ago- I got a rip of the new Steely Dan Can't Buy a Thrill reissue on UHQR at 24/192.
I then created 3 folders on my stick, One was just Steely Dan - Can't Buy a Thrill, while the other 2 listed in the folder title as Flac-16 and the third Flac 24-48. I also redid the Tagging to LP Name to reflect Flac 16 or Flac 24, as well as each song title to avoid any possible read duplication in Uconnect 4.

As for the results- obviously the 320K mp3's would read and play, the Flac 16(basically stock CD resolution converted to Flac) also was seen and played. The Folder labelled as Flac 24-48 was not even seen, which I assume is because nothing inside it was seen as valid music to the system.

Oh- I almost forgot one step in what I do. Most audio systems cannot handle having folders of music added to a stick, and then expected to play everything in order... I learned that many years ago. Once I've added what I want to my stick- I use a piece of freeware called Drivesort. It can just be clicked on from within File Explorer, and opens in a window. It needs to be configured, and there are some guides out there. It opens the drive and will see the last state of drive. You then click Sort, and it then adds to the file structure- any folders you have just added and gives the a weird version of the name. Click folder/Save and it rewrites the folder mapping. Drive is then 100% available in a car system... it is something to read up on as to WHY it is needed.

Since I need to convert my music anyway from Hi-Rez, whether I do it to Flac 16, or 320K mp3 really makes no matter as the software, process and mechanics to do it are all the same. Size wize- the 320K mp3's win out by roughly half the size of Flac. Will I hear the difference between Flac 16 and 320K mp3? That is a really good question, as with the quietness of the RAM Cab- one might be able to perceive a difference. I'll give that a shot next time I take the RAM to work(I have 2 vehicles and only go to office 1 day a week). Although my other vehicle is a 16 Honda Accord, and I believe only mp3's work there- so its just as well I stay where I am on my USB stick.

Now- if something really could be done with how Uconnect 4 handles a USB Stick- that would be great!!! I am sooo tired of an LP finishing and just stopping...you can't tell the system to just move on to next folder. Once you hit the button to view folders- the system goes all the way back to the beginning alphabetically. Again- it won't pick up from where you are at.

Chris
I've messed around with this since getting my '22. I had a 64Gb stick in my Charger that I used with mp3 and I couldn't get it to work in the Ram. Turns out that it was the formatting. After many different trials, I found that both FAT32 and NTFS will work. Presently, all my music is ripped to mp3 but I;m in th process of re-ripping it to flac. I've tried a couple of files and they are being read, so I assume that it is FLAC16 (although admittedly, I didn't realize there were different versions of FLAC - thanks for the info Chris). I am now using a 1Tb Sandisk SSD through the USB-C port and it's working perfectly so far. No issues with folders at all. UConnect 5 handles the folders differently than UConnect 4 did in my Charger. I usually browse so it can see all files and then leave it on shuffle.

Users who are viewing this thread