5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

AC not cold enough, help

Eric2022

Reaction score
Hi everyone have any of you had any issues with your air conditioner? The air conditioning in my 2019 RAM Limited just isn’t cold enough for some reason and I was wondering if this happened to you or if you have ever heard about it and what the solution was. It’s sort of cool but not cold, it doesn’t really cool the cabin, and the only way it becomes semi comfortable is when it’s on full blast. I have all windows tinted including pano sunroof the problem is with the air being simply not cold enough I can tell when I put my hand up to the vent as well. Thank you for any advice? I was thinking about getting the recharge cans they have at autozone does anyone think that will make the air colder when it comes out of the vent? Thank you very much.

Last edited:

GRAYWOLF

Reaction score
There are multiple threads about this. There appears to be a lot of people experiencing it.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Tom488

Reaction score
Thank you for any advice? I was thinking about getting the recharge cans they have at autozone does anyone think that will make the air colder when it comes out of the vent? Thank you very much.
First, unless those recharge kits are specifically for R1234YF systems, as opposed to R134a (which I'm almost sure they are), you can't use them on your truck.

Secondly, it's customary on forums to try searching for your particular topic of interest before posting a new thread. We have no shortage of threads on the A/C problems, such as:

Potential work-around discussed here:

Cliff's Notes: There appears to be an issue with the blend door not completely sealing off airflow through the (always hot) heater core, resulting in warm air being mixed in. This usually manifests itself with higher vent temps on the driver's side compared to the passenger side - sometimes as much as 15 degrees difference.
Dealerships, by and large, are going by a manufacturer's spec. sheet that "allows" for these higher temps, pronouncing the system as "working according to spec.", and sending the owners on their merry way. Some members have taken it upon themselves to shut off the flow of engine coolant to the heater core, resulting in much colder vent temps. This is a viable, albeit temporary (some would say "hacky") solution to the problem in the hotter months.

Anyway, read up on the linked threads, have your dealership at least give your A/C a once-over (you may actually have a low charge in the system, rather than just experiencing the blend door problem), and go from there.

Eric2022

Reaction score
First, unless those recharge kits are specifically for R1234YF systems, as opposed to R134a (which I'm almost sure they are), you can't use them on your truck.

Secondly, it's customary on forums to try searching for your particular topic of interest before posting a new thread. We have no shortage of threads on the A/C problems, such as:

Potential work-around discussed here:

Cliff's Notes: There appears to be an issue with the blend door not completely sealing off airflow through the (always hot) heater core, resulting in warm air being mixed in. This usually manifests itself with higher vent temps on the driver's side compared to the passenger side - sometimes as much as 15 degrees difference.
Dealerships, by and large, are going by a manufacturer's spec. sheet that "allows" for these higher temps, pronouncing the system as "working according to spec.", and sending the owners on their merry way. Some members have taken it upon themselves to shut off the flow of engine coolant to the heater core, resulting in much colder vent temps. This is a viable, albeit temporary (some would say "hacky") solution to the problem in the hotter months.

Anyway, read up on the linked threads, have your dealership at least give your A/C a once-over (you may actually have a low charge in the system, rather than just experiencing the blend door problem), and go from there.

Thank you so much for this very detailed reply it gives me what I need to get this taken care of.

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Hi everyone have any of you had any issues with your air conditioner? The air conditioning in my 2019 RAM Limited just isn’t cold enough for some reason and I was wondering if this happened to you or if you have ever heard about it and what the solution was. It’s sort of cool but not cold, it doesn’t really cool the cabin, and the only way it becomes semi comfortable is when it’s on full blast. I have all windows tinted including pano sunroof the problem is with the air being simply not cold enough I can tell when I put my hand up to the vent as well. Thank you for any advice? I was thinking about getting the recharge cans they have at autozone does anyone think that will make the air colder when it comes out of the vent? Thank you very much.
Like Graywolf said, lots of threads about this, try searching or just poking around on the general discussions section, you'll see several...
A member has developed their own "fix", but it's a do it yourself not FCA approved one.

joshisurdaddy

Reaction score
So I decided I wasn't going to let the dealer rip my dash out for no reason and I came across this on Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B092YVQS7K or, you can find it by searching for "Muzzys A/C Hack Kit". For 20 bucks you really can't go wrong! I live in AZ and we're almost up to 100 degrees here already and this made a world of difference! I no longer want to get rid of my truck.

Attachments

• achack page.jpg
    achack page.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 33

MilehighRam

Reaction score
Im one of the people that put a valve on the heater core and it works pretty well. Not as cold as my last 2 rams, but much better than it was (~8 degrees cooler if memory serves me correctly).

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
So I decided I wasn't going to let the dealer rip my dash out for no reason and I came across this on Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B092YVQS7K or, you can find it by searching for "Muzzys A/C Hack Kit". For 20 bucks you really can't go wrong! I live in AZ and we're almost up to 100 degrees here already and this made a world of difference! I no longer want to get rid of my truck.
Pulling a dash isn’t rocket science.

Sure, some folks have had damage from apes working on their trucks, but vast majority have not had any issues and have colder AC as a result, without having to jigger rig their warrantied trucks like it’s 1981.

Well worth getting the TSB. Done. I’d do it again in a heartbeat.

Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread