5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

AC engaging on its own.

Polaris Man

Reaction score
Well as the title says I am 95% sure my AC is engaging on its own. Just got back from a 70 km highway drive and a constant speed (cruise) no windows or sunroof
Open and climate set to LO, the temp would stay at LO (whatever that translates to) for approx. 3 mins then get cold (AC cold) for approx. 2 mins. It did this over and over and over the entire drive (about 40 mins total). I have long thought that the climate temperatures fluctuated a fair bit at different temperatures but was never 100% of that until now, I k ownfor a fact it is doing it.

When the temp would drop after 3 mins @ low, a couple times touched the AC button to light it up and the temp wouldn't get any noticeably colder.

I am going to try and use our digital thermometer to confirm this so the dealer doesn't continue to think I am an idiot with all these legitimate problems.

Has anyone else noticed this happening?

I'll add iT To the list for when my truck goes to the dealer for the 3rd time. I seriously considering demanding buy back, I'm so tired of this truck it's not even comfortable to drive at this point.

Polaris Man

Reaction score
Should add the "AUTO" was NOT on (not that it should make a notcoable difference, and certainly not in the temp coming from the vent)

The AC button might was NOT lighting up while this happened. It happened like clock work once I noticed it was doing it.

My 2013 sport did NOTHING like this in the 90,000 kms I drove it, the climate controls and reactions in that truck were perfect as far as im concerned

Polaris Man

Reaction score
I just confirmed with our digital thermometer, when climate is set to LO the temperature ranges every (approx.) 3 mins from 17*c to 25*C, it will stay at 17 for about 2 mins then goes back up to 25 for about 3.

Tomorrow I will try to determine if more temp settings are doing this.

Polaris Man

Reaction score
Just confirmed that the temp ranges about 8 degrees at other temp settings. Will get a better video tomorrow of it happening.

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Good data. I sure hope the dealer will make this right. Keep us updated.

RBRK

Reaction score
You should be able to hear the compressor cycle on and off, can you hear it? I will have to check mine and see. I bet even though it’s not on auto, the system is keeping the temp near your set temp. Which would turn the compressor on to maintain. I think the HVAC will have a software update in the future. It’s probabky not just yours.

Polaris Man

Reaction score
You should be able to hear the compressor cycle on and off, can you hear it? I will have to check mine and see. I bet even though it’s not on auto, the system is keeping the temp near your set temp. Which would turn the compressor on to maintain. I think the HVAC will have a software update in the future. It’s probabky not just yours.

That could be the case but i don't think it should fluctuate 8 degrees on an average temperature day, like I said in one of the comments my 2013 worked flawlessly, the temp you set it to was what you expected to get. This truck is all over the map. It was hard to tell if the AC compressor is engaging, I had to fan speed on #7 so I could see how much of a temp change there was and how quickly. I am going to spend some time today in the driveway looking into it.

There are likely many others doing this just no one has noticed.

Users who are viewing this thread