5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

AC Emergency

joe3130804

Reaction score
Bought a 2020 Nightshade Ram last year, truck only has 15500 miles and change. Only a year old, 1st truck I owned loving it til issue found with ac leaking into cab. Didn't notice it til mildew started forming on carpet. Took it to dealership thinking drain valve was clogged but dealership found that hvac vent located top left corner of passenger dash was cracked saying it was self damaged meaning someone kicked or put pressure on it. Told me that warranty won't cover and would costs $2400 to fix which includes removing entire dash(is this true). Also carpet damaged is my responsibility... Case is that wife is only one to sit in passenger and is small petite(5ft) so logically not possible to reach such a area. I need help on resolving this issue( who to call). Thanks

@RamCares might be able to help

2020 Bighorn Night Edition, 5.7 Hemi w/eTorque

Is the crack accessible at all? I would be in there with a few products before I dished out $2,400.

I am going to try using this on my Lincoln. I snapped a retaining clip off of a trim piece and can't find the piece to replace it.
81JjW+8xWTL._AC_SX679_.jpg

Of course if that wouldn't work for your leak you always have the Flex Seal products. If it holds up a boat with a screen door bottom it should seal a crack!

Attachments

• images.jpeg-1.jpg
    images.jpeg-1.jpg
    12.8 KB · Views: 10
Bought a 2020 Nightshade Ram last year, truck only has 15500 miles and change. Only a year old, 1st truck I owned loving it til issue found with ac leaking into cab. Didn't notice it til mildew started forming on carpet. Took it to dealership thinking drain valve was clogged but dealership found that hvac vent located top left corner of passenger dash was cracked saying it was self damaged meaning someone kicked or put pressure on it. Told me that warranty won't cover and would costs $2400 to fix which includes removing entire dash(is this true). Also carpet damaged is my responsibility... Case is that wife is only one to sit in passenger and is small petite(5ft) so logically not possible to reach such a area. I need help on resolving this issue( who to call). Thanks
Could you provide a photo of the damaged area in question? I'm confused by " hvac vent located top left corner of passenger dash."

Best regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 03 June 2018. Now at: 051688 miles.

It's currently at the dealership pending my approval but called corporate this morning filing a dispute. Sorry no pics but last week when I discovered the leak, saw water dripping from a vent located under dash after removing cover. But it looks something similar to that setup where I spotted the with ac on full blasts. Talked to dealership again, different advisor but stated same thing that Technician diagnosed it as self damaged.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210605-115003_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20210605-115003_Samsung Internet.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 24
Could you provide a photo of the damaged area in question? I'm confused by " hvac vent located top left corner of passenger dash."

Best regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 03 June 2018. Now at: 051688 miles.
Sorry it's located under passenger dash top left after removing protective cover. Something similar to this.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210605-115003_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20210605-115003_Samsung Internet.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 11
Sorry it's located under passenger dash top left after removing protective cover. Something similar to this.
What model trim do you have? Most trims, Big Horn and up, come with a cover mounted just below the lower glove box. How could anything contact the lower portion of the HVAC box without damaging that cover?

Based on the information provided, it doesn't make sense.

Best regards,
Dusty

Sounds like a dealership trying to screw over a customer. Those boxes can take a kick even if that is what happened so I'm doubting thats the cause

It's a Lone Star edition. That's exactly what I told them and it's physically impossible because the only one that sits in that passenger side is my wife and she's freaking little. So awaiting corporate to call me to see if we can settle this dispute.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back