5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

About to purchase a Limited, what does 8-Spd Auto 8HP75 Trans (Buy-US) mean?

James Cole

Reaction score
I heard there was US manufactured ZF transmission made under license from ZF, I checked my VIN options and shows: 8-Spd Auto 8HP75 Trans (Buy-US)

Is this a US made or Purchased made in Germany?

Thanks!
JC

Phoon

Reaction score
As far as i know, Fiat Chrysler manufactures the ZF design in house in the USA. Some other manufactures purchase them pre-built from ZF.

I have the upmost confidence in this transmission, the previous gen was excellent and the new one is rated for more torque and is just as smooth. It is also used in the 19 2500HD trucks so should be ovekill in the 1500.

James Cole

Reaction score
Sounds good, I had a 2014 Longhorn with this transmission, is this one much better and shifts quicker?

Phoon

Reaction score
Sounds good, I had a 2014 Longhorn with this transmission, is this one much better and shifts quicker?
Compared to my 17 sport it is a touch quicker and a little smoother. I understand it is also more efficient also and the ratios are a little different.

PTRAM

Reaction score
I heard there was US manufactured ZF transmission made under license from ZF, I checked my VIN options and shows: 8-Spd Auto 8HP75 Trans (Buy-US)

Is this a US made or Purchased made in Germany?

I live in SC now, but the transmission is made in Kokomo or Tipton, Indiana---where I spent my first 22 years of my life. And I love the shifting on my Ram with the same Transmission you are inquiring about. It shifts very smooth in my opinion. And you are correct that they are made under license from ZF and have the right to change the design if they want to--not sure what the financial arrangement is with ZF

Thanks!
JC

Users who are viewing this thread