5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

About to pull the trigger on a Travel Trailer - need some of your inputs to confirm my understanding....

Redfour5

Reaction score
Optional but mandatory lol kinda sounds like a certain policy related to a certain pointy something-or-other going on right now 🤭

Anyway, thanks man. Looks like I could probably get by with any of my top 3 but the Apex and and the Alpha would be right at my max TW. Maybe I'll just leave my son home 😆
On RV trader I see a 2018 used Sunset in Florida (owner sale) for 21,500. That's a deal unless there is something wrong... https://www.rvtrader.com/listing/2018-Crossroads-SUNSET-TRAIL-SUPER-LITE-SS222RB-5018401952

AngelPhoenix

Ram Guru
Reaction score
On RV trader I see a 2018 used Sunset in Florida (owner sale) for 21,500. That's a deal unless there is something wrong... https://www.rvtrader.com/listing/2018-Crossroads-SUNSET-TRAIL-SUPER-LITE-SS222RB-5018401952
Looks like they hadn't started putting the front-facing bedroom windows on these at that point. Probably isn't for most people but that's a big selling point for me. Not a deal breaker, but it's high on my list of wants.

That is a really good deal though, if it's in solid shape. Would just have to get to Florida lol

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That's a 27 foot 4 inch Aspen Trail 2340Bhswe. It runs 5500 dry. I'm right at 6700 lbs loaded and 800 loaded tongue weight. I have a 3.21 rear end 1300 payload and 8K total. It does great. I would prefer a 3.92 rear end having had one, but this does just fine as the tranny compensates fine for the rear end. I am at what I consider the upper end of it's "comfortable" limits.
We run a similar setup 240bhs Solaire, love the camper. I wouldn't go much bigger and feel comfortable. We have friends running much larger campers in their half tons.

Redfour5

Reaction score
"I wouldn't go much bigger and feel comfortable."

That was exactly my thoughts. I had purchased my travel trailer with a 2015 Outdoorsman with a 3.92 rear end. I had to think long and hard on the 3.21 and did a lot of research before pulling the trigger but the dealer had a Built to Serve that checked almost all of my other boxes so I did. Actually, it was this Fast Lane Truck video that made me feel comfortable pulling the trigger.
There is a thread here that talks about the 3.92/3.21 differences that also supported my decision. I do feel comfortable but also notice the difference both good and bad between the old truck and the new.

Last edited:

Dragonmaster13

Reaction score
Do yourself a favour and skip the Andersen WDH. They aren’t actually WDHs and you can’t put enough weight back in the front axle of this truck to eliminate dangerous wandering. There was a thread in towing about this recently that’s worth a read. The eights of the trailers you’ve shortlisted seem good for what you are looking for.

Users who are viewing this thread