5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

About to place an order...

Coral Grimes

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm about to place an order for my first pickup in over 20 years! Good times!

Here's what I'm thinking, any thoughts would be appreciated:

1. Limited - This is a must. Selling my wife on a pickup was difficult enough...if it wasn't "fancy" she'd be very unhappy.
  2. Regular Hemi - I wanted the eTorque originally, but the delay in production and fact that it is a new technology has me leaning towards the tried and true engine alone. I'll deal with the added fuel costs...
  3. Anti-spin differential - I pull a boat, but it is a small bass boat (3000lbs). I think I'd rather have the benefits of the anti-spin for everyday driving.
  4. 3.92 axle - The better torque off the line and towing capabilities (even though my current boat doesn't require it) make me feel like this outweighs the negative fuel impact.
  5. 33 gallon tank - Less trips to the gas station seems like a no brainer.
  6. Level 1 equipment - I like technology...
  7. Body color bumper - I like this look better...to much chrome otherwise.
  8. Bed utility group - not sure I really need this, but I am opting for the cover.
  9. 20 inch wheels - I'm just not crazy about the low profile tires on the 22s. I figure if I wanted to, I could always change up the wheels later.
  10. Tonneau cover - I'm sure I can get this aftermarket, but I just want to have it right off the bat.
  11. Sun roof - too cool to pass up.
  12. Trailer brake control - don't currently need it, but might later.

Dontra

Reaction score
The ram box is a good addition unless you need a lot of bed space. Good for finding things fast

YoAdrian

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Understandable considerations there, here’s one more. Expect around 1100-1200 lbs useable payload with the Limited options and make sure that suits your towing needs including your tongue weight and passengers. Probably fine to tow your 3k boat and four passengers. Ramboxes will reduce payload by about 165 lbs.

Coral Grimes

Reaction score
Understandable considerations there, here’s one more. Expect around 1100-1200 lbs useable payload with the Limited options and make sure that suits your towing needs including your tongue weight and passengers. Probably fine to tow your 3k boat and four passengers. Ramboxes will reduce payload by about 165 lbs.
Definitely not getting the ramboxes, and if I don't get the eTorque, I figured I'd be in the 1300lb range. That should be more than enough for my needs. Am I wrong?

DeanKing

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm about to place an order for my first pickup in over 20 years! Good times!

Here's what I'm thinking, any thoughts would be appreciated:

1. Limited - This is a must. Selling my wife on a pickup was difficult enough...if it wasn't "fancy" she'd be very unhappy.
  2. Regular Hemi - I wanted the eTorque originally, but the delay in production and fact that it is a new technology has me leaning towards the tried and true engine alone. I'll deal with the added fuel costs...
  3. Anti-spin differential - I pull a boat, but it is a small bass boat (3000lbs). I think I'd rather have the benefits of the anti-spin for everyday driving.
  4. 3.92 axle - The better torque off the line and towing capabilities (even though my current boat doesn't require it) make me feel like this outweighs the negative fuel impact.
  5. 33 gallon tank - Less trips to the gas station seems like a no brainer.
  6. Level 1 equipment - I like technology...
  7. Body color bumper - I like this look better...to much chrome otherwise.
  8. Bed utility group - not sure I really need this, but I am opting for the cover.
  9. 20 inch wheels - I'm just not crazy about the low profile tires on the 22s. I figure if I wanted to, I could always change up the wheels later.
  10. Tonneau cover - I'm sure I can get this aftermarket, but I just want to have it right off the bat.
  11. Sun roof - too cool to pass up.
  12. Trailer brake control - don't currently need it, but might later.
Good list. I had very similar criteria. In the end we decided to get a loaded Laramie with sport appearance because any chrome was too much. Not sure what is on limited bed group but Laramie includes that cool divider and tailgate extender which I liked.

202snowman

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Definitely not getting the ramboxes, and if I don't get the eTorque, I figured I'd be in the 1300lb range. That should be more than enough for my needs. Am I wrong?

You should be...Take a look at my configuration, as its not a lot different that your, other than the BUG and I have the 22's.

I have a 1389 payload capacity. Take off about Add 55 lbs or such for my hard tonneau cover(Bakflip MK4), that would put me around 1330 lbs.

YoAdrian

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Not at all wrong in your thought process and I’l bet you’re close looking at your option list, it’s just tough to know exactly what your payload will be before the truck shows up... unless you are a member of this forum that is! Review this post by @Zeronet where he has deduced a way of predicting your payload based on the Limited’s numbers we’ve collected so far. Any unlisted options will have to also be accounted for.

With your current towing plan I agree you’ll be fine.

Ok I put together a spreadsheet with all the payload and option info we have on Limited trim/4x4/5'7". Based on the spreadsheet the following numbers work exactly for all the trucks so far (except ryelinek). These are still a work in progress so there will be more refinement.

Here's the weight of the most common options (as near as I can tell till we get more data):

Limited trim - 166lbs
Bed utility group - 25
Level 1 - 86
Advanced safety group - 50
Sunroof - 70
Anti spin - 16
eLocker - 16
3.92 Axle ratio - 0
eTorque - 80
Brake controller - 0 (not full tow package)
Body colored bumpers - 0
22" wheels - 0 (vs 20" standard wheels)
33 gallon fuel tank - 73
Offroad Group - 119 (minus eLocker)
Ramboxes - 163

To test this, start with the payload listed in the towing chart for the 4x4/Crew Cab/Hemi/5'7" bed configuration (1800lbs). Then subtract the weight of each option to get to the number on your payload sticker.

If you have a Limited/4x4/5’7” and get a different payload number let me know what your payload sticker says and a full list of your factory options and I can try to refine the numbers.

Kaz

Reaction score
Here were my wife and my thoughts...

1. Limited 4x4- Wife liked the Laramie Sport "look", more closely matched her '16 Sport 4x4 its replacing, but she preferred the Limited interior, so we ordered a limited
  2. eTorque - Ordered for potential use and hopeful resale value
  3. Anti-spin differential - Necessity for everyday use
  4. 3.92 axle - Better towing and acceleration performance... ours is a daily driven highway queen mostly.
  5. 33 gallon tank - Must; we didn't buy this thing for gas mileage, might as well space out the fill ups as much as possible
  6. Level 1 equipment - Must, its a limited, why wouldn't you?
  7. Protection Group - just in case we decided to be adventurous...
  8. Body color bumper - Wife wanted a Laramie Sport color matched, but wanted the Limited interior; still considering having the grill painted later to match
  9. Bed utility group - Previously had the Rambox on the wife's '16 Sport, thought it required since the split the previous Rambox package into two options...
  10. Granite Crystal Metallic - her '16 Sport is the same color and this is a replacement for it... plus its an awesome color.
  11. 22 inch wheels - wife wanted the Laramie Sport 22s, but that wasn't available on the Limited. Preferred the optional 22s to the Limited's 20s. Like the way low profiles ride compared to the squishiness of the higher profile tires. Its a highway queen, not an offroader...
  12. Rambox - must; wife has it on her '16 Sport, was a requirement on her replacement
  13. Pano Sunroof - we always order the sunroof is available, just in case
  14. Trailer brake control - Just in case we tow something, never know

MTRHEAD

Reaction score
Looks like a good list. If you want the trailer brake control without the tow mirrors, make sure your dealer understands that. With the tow package you not only get the big mirrors, you don't get the 360 camera's.

Kaz

Reaction score
Looks like a good list. If you want the trailer brake control without the tow mirrors, make sure your dealer understands that. With the tow package you not only get the big mirrors, you don't get the 360 camera's.

We almost made that mistake... originally had spec'd the tow package, but switched to the controller to keep the cameras.

Coral Grimes

Reaction score
Ordered today!!! Same as in my above initial post.

I tried the etorque (in a Rebel) and did t like it. Engine cutting out was definitely noticeable. Not my bag. I’ll burn some dinosaurs.

Given the whole 6-8 weeks wait time, but with a “it might be sooner.”

Users who are viewing this thread