5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ability to add DVD player or video control?

Ramconvert

Reaction score
I’ve searched all over the web and can’t find anyone who has described being able to add DVD or other type of movie watching capability to the Uconnect 12 system. I’m not sure what the back of the unit looks like as far as what connections it has, but seems like you should be able to replace the factory CD player with a DVD player or otherwise connect an aftermarket video device. I have a 2019 limited with trailer package (which doesn’t have any camera except for the rear one) so there should be some available video inputs? Has anyone tried this? I’d like to be able to add some rear monitors for my kids for long trips and be able to take advantage of the surround sound of the system for movies. :cool:

Snakes709

Reaction score
I was curious about this. Usually i just hook a laptop up via bluetooth or aux cable. Wife and son will watch a movie on it and ill listen.

Or what i did when i went across country by myself, toss a movie on the laptop and put it on the passenger seat or floor so i can just listen to it. The day went by super fast when i did a fast and furious marathon.

Twoamen

Reaction score

Ddreid08

Reaction score
Has anybody tried the Jail break listed above yet? or figured this one out?

Twoamen

Reaction score
I had jailbreak. Read the forums on the product. Check other sites not just Ram. You'll find tons of opinions. They'll ship FedEx and will arrive in like 5 days. It did what it claimed. It was tricky as hell to install. If your computer smart, you'll be able to figure it out. You'll get software emailed to you. You have to pull it load it to a thumb drive and it has a key that need the extention renamed. Read their site. Text them. They are I think sweds. Their dialog will sound rude.

Twoamen

Reaction score
Also when you return your truck for repair jailbreak wants you to in-install. There's some question about legal issues, programing nav on the move, watching movies while truck in motion. When Mopar upgrades the infotainment system, jailbreak checks it and then sends their own patch out. You send the VIN number to them they match your software to the VIN

Dominator211

Reaction score
So I'm just catching up on this right now and from a pure technological standpoint, unless someone made a jailbreak this wouldn't be possible. I would rule it to be unlikely that somthing would ever come to the 12 inch as its only used in the RAMS and with Uconnect 5 coming in a year or two thag would also add to the doubt for anyone to devlop somthing. (Again jusy my opinion would love to be proved wrong) i think it would be best if you used the 8.4 inch instead. Purely because that has been used on a lot more vehicles and can be equipped with a lot of features like SRT Pages and Uconnect Theater. Which is almost identical to what the OP is asking for. I actually have a separate thread trying to figure out the ins and outs of that system and how it connects to the vehicle and stuff. But I thought I would share my thoughts on the matter. I would love for someone to figure out a way to add Uconnect Theater to a RAM as the system is wonderful with all the features it adds. Hope this sparks a convo!

DivingOtter

Reaction score
Technically since the screen is visible to the driver it would be a distraction when in motion. Hence unless you jail break it, prohibited for several safety reasons...

tbakowsky

Reaction score
My wife's 2012 caravan has the uconnect system.and the video screen in the back. You can watch movies on the front screen when the car is in park. I would think the uconnect system in or 2019+ rams would have the capability for video.

Users who are viewing this thread