5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

AAD and AGS systems. Please help!

Evsch24

Reaction score
Hey everyone. I’m new to the site and also a new Ram owner. I recently bought a 2020 Ram 1500 Laramie Night Edition 5.7 etorque with the tow package and level 2 equipment package. 49,000 miles. Everything on it is MINT except 2 things (well 3 actually). I have the notorious exhaust manifold ticking on cold start up (working with a dealership now under my powertrain warranty).

My questions pertain to the active air dam and active grill shutter systems. They don’t work. At all. I didn’t know the truck had them when I bought it but after a few weeks of owning it I wondered why my air dam was so dang low.

To make an already long story shorter my AAD moves freely up and down with help but won’t do it on its own. My AGS doesn’t work at all. I don’t have an OBDII (but I’m not opposed to going out and buying one if anyone has recommendations). My truck hasn’t thrown a CEL and recently passed inspection so I’m guessing there’s no codes. Does anyone have any clue on what it could be? I’ve read the wiring harness maybe, the actuator, water getting into the system. I’m no mechanic but I’m relatively handy and looking to work on this myself. TIA.

jl13

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I removed the add on mine and many others here did the same, it doesn't make much difference with mpg.
No if you still want it functional - I remember seeing something about the factory warranty extended on these so you might still be under warranty

dts828

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Maybe just check to see if there connected. Perhaps the previous owner took them and quickly reinstalled the prior to trading truck in and never connected. Long shot but easy enough to check

Sent from my SM-S918U1 using Tapatalk

mikeru82

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The AAD shouldn't move up and down freely by hand. If yours is able to do that it's bad. You can just remove it like many of us have done and you won't have any issues with it. I can't speak to the AGS system. I'm assuming the shutters are always open. If that's the case it won't hurt anything if you just leave them alone. If they're stuck in the closed position your truck might run too hot, and even overheat under some conditions.

Evsch24

Reaction score
The AAD shouldn't move up and down freely by hand. If yours is able to do that it's bad. You can just remove it like many of us have done and you won't have any issues with it. I can't speak to the AGS system. I'm assuming the shutters are always open. If that's the case it won't hurt anything if you just leave them alone. If they're stuck in the closed position your truck might run too hot, and even overheat under some conditions.
Yeah they are stuck in the open position so I wasn’t too worried about that. I’m going to get my truck up on jacks tomorrow and take a better look at the AAD. Upon quick inspection I didn’t see anything that appeared broken or loose. It doesn’t flip around or anything. But if I manually push it up it will go up but doesn’t stay up.

Evsch24

Reaction score
Maybe just check to see if there connected. Perhaps the previous owner took them and quickly reinstalled the prior to trading truck in and never connected. Long shot but easy enough to check

Sent from my SM-S918U1 using Tapatalk
The previous owner is a well renowned dentist with multiple practices where I live and I don’t think that he was getting under there and tinkering with the AAD. Unless he had a local shop do it. But I appreciate the tip and will get under there more thoroughly tomorrow and have a look.

Evsch24

Reaction score
I removed the add on mine and many others here did the same, it doesn't make much difference with mpg.
No if you still want it functional - I remember seeing something about the factory warranty extended on these so you might still be under warranty
Yeah I heard about the extension too but apparently it’s only for certain 2019 models and I have a 2020. I’d like it to be functional but I’m not coughing up however much the dealer is gonna want for this thing.

6of36

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Hey everyone. I’m new to the site and also a new Ram owner. I recently bought a 2020 Ram 1500 Laramie Night Edition 5.7 etorque with the tow package and level 2 equipment package. 49,000 miles. Everything on it is MINT except 2 things (well 3 actually). I have the notorious exhaust manifold ticking on cold start up (working with a dealership now under my powertrain warranty).

My questions pertain to the active air dam and active grill shutter systems. They don’t work. At all. I didn’t know the truck had them when I bought it but after a few weeks of owning it I wondered why my air dam was so dang low.

To make an already long story shorter my AAD moves freely up and down with help but won’t do it on its own. My AGS doesn’t work at all. I don’t have an OBDII (but I’m not opposed to going out and buying one if anyone has recommendations). My truck hasn’t thrown a CEL and recently passed inspection so I’m guessing there’s no codes. Does anyone have any clue on what it could be? I’ve read the wiring harness maybe, the actuator, water getting into the system. I’m no mechanic but I’m relatively handy and looking to work on this myself. TIA.
As far as a suggestion for an OBD reader, go to the alfa site, and they list units that work Then it is your preference. I paid about $40 for mine, but picked one that works with Windows, Apple, Android, and Bluetooth. My kids borrow mine, so I covered all bases. I used to have a $5 one, that read all the codes, but would not work to change settings.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
The AGS test themselves right when you start the truck. They will cycle one time . That’s how I knew mine were working, but I had a CEL. To test the AAD, I had my buddy follow me in my truck and I looked in the rear view to see the AAD. We went various mph and it never deployed. Unplugged it and cleared the CEL and I was good to go

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
The AGS test themselves right when you start the truck. They will cycle one time . That’s how I knew mine were working, but I had a CEL. To test the AAD, I had my buddy follow me in my truck and I looked in the rear view to see the AAD. We went various mph and it never deployed. Unplugged it and cleared the CEL and I was good to go
I never knew that about the AGS
I just went out and sure enough it takes 10 seconds before it tests but they move.

I can't think of a way to test the AAD and I don't know how they engage as the documentation isn't clear for Limiteds.
I believe it was somewhere between 30-45 mph they should engage, but if you are driving in Aero mode I don't think they would as it would hang too low.
I'm not sure if you would be able to see under my truck while driving if they engage

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
I never knew that about the AGS
I just went out and sure enough it takes 10 seconds before it tests but they move.

I can't think of a way to test the AAD and I don't know how they engage as the documentation isn't clear for Limiteds.
I believe it was somewhere between 30-45 mph they should engage, but if you are driving in Aero mode I don't think they would as it would hang too low.
I'm not sure if you would be able to see under my truck while driving if they engage
Cool! I was able to see the AAD on someone else’s ram above 35, they were following me. When we got into town at slow speed it retracted.

Not sure how else to test it

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Cool! I was able to see the AAD on someone else’s ram above 35, they were following me. When we got into town at slow speed it retracted.

I think that's the only way.
I'm not sure what module it is or else I could try to plug in with m dealership software and see if there is a trigger in there, but I don't suspect there would be.

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Off the wall idea, maybe duct tape a wireless doorbell camera somewhere, paired with a smartphone to view?

jl13

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yeah I heard about the extension too but apparently it’s only for certain 2019 models and I have a 2020. I’d like it to be functional but I’m not coughing up however much the dealer is gonna want for this thing.
Its easy enought to remove it or reattached it so if you really want it perhaps you can find it used or new and do it yourself and save on the labor charge by the dealer

Users who are viewing this thread