5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A year with the Rebel

asgadf/lkjnadsfg

Reaction score
Its been a little over a year now with my 21 Rebel, and to date I've got:

- Water leaking into the back of the cab
- A hood that holds water and sloshes
- A nav system that no longer works
- Brakes that moan in reverse when its wet

I'll drop it off at the dealer soon, and will have to wait and see what they tell me. Still love the truck, but I'm not looking forward to hearing how long it will take to fix all that stuff.

raygun9

Reaction score
Best of luck.. my 2020 has been to the dealer 4 times for the same leaking issue. They replaced the rear window that was cracked but still cant find the front leak, even though there are FCA star publications that explain the issue. Been over a week this time. Its a pretty truck but a joke compared to my gen4.

Sent from my SM-G781U1 using Tapatalk

asgadf/lkjnadsfg

Reaction score
I just hope someday I can own a truck that doesn't leak...but I'm running out of time. My old F150 had more water run through it than the Mississippi River. I thought the Ram was my answer, but now its doing the same.

kapinallinen2

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Its been a little over a year now with my 21 Rebel, and to date I've got:

- Water leaking into the back of the cab
- A hood that holds water and sloshes
- A nav system that no longer works
- Brakes that moan in reverse when its wet

I'll drop it off at the dealer soon, and will have to wait and see what they tell me. Still love the truck, but I'm not looking forward to hearing how long it will take to fix all that stuff.
Sounds right, just missing cracked exhaust manifolds.

asgadf/lkjnadsfg

Reaction score
Take it in now while it is under warranty, the manifolds most likely will outlast the bumper to bumper.
Oh, yeah, I was joking about that. I'll drop it off and get an estimate on time line from them, then decide if I need to beg, borrow, or steal to get a ride while it's in the shop.

asgadf/lkjnadsfg

Reaction score
Here's a quick update on the progress to date. Both local dealers told me there was a 3 week wait, and that I'd have to drop my truck with them and leave it the entire time. One eventually told me that since mine is a fairly new truck, just over a year old, and with low miles, that they'd try to push me to the front of the line.

Ultimately they got my truck back to me on day 6. Given the circumstances, I was cool with that.

Navigation system - They fixed it with an update. I can now search for, and find, addresses. If your navigation system suddenly lost the ability to find addresses, this may be your fix.

Moaning Brakes - they said they couldn't reproduce it so they did nothing. It moaned like a sasquatch in heat the morning after they gave it back to me.

Leak in the cab - they replaced the third brake light and told me it was fixed. It began leaking again as soon as I got it back, perhaps worse than when it went in. I had to give them the truck back and then wait. They've had it for maybe three days now, and they called to tell me the problem is the rear window, and that the entire thing needs to be replaced. Now I'm waiting for them to submit pics, get approval, and then see what comes next. They gave no indication as to how long the repair may take, or if the parts are available. I'll just wait to hear. She made it sound like the approval process should go smoothly since it's still so new.

Hood filling with water - I don't know if they fixed the issue or just drained the hood. It didn't rain hard between when they gave it back to me, and when I had to give it back to them, so I'm not sure if the hood issue is fixed or not. Their service department rarely answers the phone, and even more infrequently returns calls when you leave your number, so I'll have to ask them in person whenever I go to pick up the truck.

• Haha
Reactions: TSL

kapinallinen2

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Here's a quick update on the progress to date. Both local dealers told me there was a 3 week wait, and that I'd have to drop my truck with them and leave it the entire time. One eventually told me that since mine is a fairly new truck, just over a year old, and with low miles, that they'd try to push me to the front of the line.

Ultimately they got my truck back to me on day 6. Given the circumstances, I was cool with that.

Navigation system - They fixed it with an update. I can now search for, and find, addresses. If your navigation system suddenly lost the ability to find addresses, this may be your fix.

Moaning Brakes - they said they couldn't reproduce it so they did nothing. It moaned like a sasquatch in heat the morning after they gave it back to me.

Leak in the cab - they replaced the third brake light and told me it was fixed. It began leaking again as soon as I got it back, perhaps worse than when it went in. I had to give them the truck back and then wait. They've had it for maybe three days now, and they called to tell me the problem is the rear window, and that the entire thing needs to be replaced. Now I'm waiting for them to submit pics, get approval, and then see what comes next. They gave no indication as to how long the repair may take, or if the parts are available. I'll just wait to hear. She made it sound like the approval process should go smoothly since it's still so new.

Hood filling with water - I don't know if they fixed the issue or just drained the hood. It didn't rain hard between when they gave it back to me, and when I had to give it back to them, so I'm not sure if the hood issue is fixed or not. Their service department rarely answers the phone, and even more infrequently returns calls when you leave your number, so I'll have to ask them in person whenever I go to pick up the truck.
There is a TSB on the brake moan, my service advisor was OK with me showing her a recording of it from my phone.
The rear window frame will most likely crack again, mine did, took matters to my own hands, silicone is your friend.

asgadf/lkjnadsfg

Reaction score
Thanks for the heads up on the brakes. Mine usually does it when it's cold, and while it's not a big deal in isolation, it becomes a bigger deal when it wakes the neighbors when I back out of my driveway. :ROFLMAO:

I guess I'll have to do some research on the rear window issues. If it looks like it'll be a recurring problem I'll just sell the truck now. One of the big reasons I sold my F150 and bought this Ram is because the Ford leaked all the time. I don't want another truck like that in my life.

TSL

Reaction score

I am sorry for the hassle with your truck but I want to thank you for the sasquatch metaphor, I have not laughed so hard for a long time, that was just the most hilarious turn of phrase I have come across in forever :)

scottmoyer

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The rear window leak has bee resolved (so far) on my end by adding flowable clear window caulk to the top of the rear window channel. The caulk cost me about $6, and it flowed nicely into that upper channel. You can't see it from outside the truck and my minor leak is now gone.

Regarding the NAV, mine can't locate addresses when I use speech to NAV and can sometimes find the address when I manually put it in. It's so unreal that I have done like many others and just use my phone.

Something I learned about the tire vibration came my days as a Chevy owner. Chevy trucks have experienced frame beaming, or frame shake, for many years. My 2006 Silverado was fine on factory tires, but was a mess at 70mph when I bought BFG replacements. I went thru 3 sets trying to get rid of the "balance" issue before Michelin replaced my tires with their AT tire. It didn't have the look I wanted, but it was a smooth tire. I decided to replace those with BFG after 50k plus miles and I had the shake again. I inspected the Michelin's and found they were load range E, and I was trying to use BFG load range D tires. I put the BFG "E" rated tires on and my truck was as smooth as factory new. I noticed my Ram Rebel is running with load range E and I wonder if the heavier rotational mass is eliminating the shake that non Rebel owners are having after they replace the tires. GMs solution to the problem was to add weight to the bed, which worked, so I wonder if a heavier tire will eliminate the frequencies caused between the road and the frame that cause the vibration.

asgadf/lkjnadsfg

Reaction score
Something I learned about the tire vibration came my days as a Chevy owner. Chevy trucks have experienced frame beaming, or frame shake, for many years.
It's been a while since I heard that. Way back in 2010 I bought a current year model Chevy 1500 from Carmax that had only 5,000 miles on it. During the 7 day period where you can take it back, I made a point to take it on some trips to see how it would do. I was driving down the highway to our duck hunting club and my gear bag in the passenger seat was shaking like a leaf the whole time. It shook all the time at those higher speeds. I had Carmax addess it but they couldn't fix it. They sent it to the Chevy dealer and they couldn't fix it. Finally, when everyone had to admit they couldn't fix it, they told me to put 500 lbs in the bed and the shake would go away. :) I told them to take the truck back.

I imagine that shaking is why the original owner got rid of it after just 5,000 miles.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online