5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A pleasant find!!

edgarrian

Reaction score
I have a 2019 rebel and I have always thought it was odd that the steering wheel doesn't have volume and skip buttons on it. Heck most higher trims do on any other manufacture and make. Even my wife thought it was strange. Well today I cleaned the cab out as we will be taking the truck to visit family for xmas. I reached all the way around behind the steering wheel and I noticed what felt like BUTTONS! I have owned this truck since i bought it brand new and just found the volume and skip buttons. They are conveniently located behind the wheel where you can easily access them. What a great start to xmas!! Unbelievable

edgarrian

Reaction score
Not me. But you are not the first owner to not notice those
I have seen the comment on this forum before. Where others thought it was strange. Oddly i dont recall anyone mentioning where they were located when the comment was mentioned Either way im happy.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I wonder how many other's don't realize it until years later, I'm sure quite a few.

We should create a list of important details for RAM owners, I'll start with a few I know.....

- Volume and audio controls are behind the steering wheel.
- ECO light is off by default, you can turn on from your UConnect settings screen.
- Transmission Gear current position in the dash is off by default, you can turn on from the dash gauge settings options under "Current Gear".
- Gear Limit selector on steering wheel can easily be pressed at a stop light, resulting in you being locked in first gear and feaking out why you transmission won't shift up.
- If you forget to turn off the Interior and map lights, don't worry, they will turn off after 10 minutes to save the battery.
- On some trims, the USBs shut off after 1 hour, while the 12v on the top center dash turns off immediately.

jl13

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I wonder how many other's don't realize it until years later, I'm sure quite a few.

We should create a list of important details for RAM owners, I'll start with a few I know.....

- Volume and audio controls are behind the steering wheel.
- ECO light is off by default, you can turn on from your UConnect settings screen.
- Transmission Gear current position in the dash is off by default, you can turn on from the dash gauge settings options under "Current Gear".
- Gear Limit selector on steering wheel can easily be pressed at a stop light, resulting in you being locked in first gear and feaking out why you transmission won't shift up.
- If you forget to turn off the Interior and map lights, don't worry, they will turn off after 10 minutes to save the battery.
- On some trims, the USBs shut off after 1 hour, while the 12v on the top center dash turns off immediately.
12v depends on fuse position - mine was always on from factory until I change the fuse position
what about the gas funnel location or the fact one comes with the truck - I sure didn't know about that until somebody mentioned it on the forum

SD Rebel

Reaction score
12v depends on fuse position - mine was always on from factory until I change the fuse position
what about the gas funnel location or the fact one comes with the truck - I sure didn't know about that until somebody mentioned it on the forum

That's a good point, my truck is a late 2019 build and the 12V was off when I took delivery.

Good addition off the funnel. I learned about that after watching a YouTube video about doing a tire change.

scottmoyer

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If you document all of the features and options that are available on these trucks, won't you be rewriting the owner's manual, but without the warning call outs? It doesn't take long to skim over the manual to see if there's any features you were unaware of.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
If you document all of the features and options that are available on these trucks, won't you be rewriting the owner's manual, but without the warning call outs? It doesn't take long to skim over the manual to see if there's any features you were unaware of.
Agreed. One of the first things I do when I buy a new vehicle is read through the owner's manual. I figured most people did the same. Guess I was wrong :p

SD Rebel

Reaction score

No, just the big ones many miss off the bat, I think I wrote out the main ones over the years. A few lines is hardly a manual, and isn't meant to be instructional. But you find something interesting on a brief list you didn't know about, and then can research it further in the manual.

The gear limit in reading for example is not the same when done by accident, which many of us have done. Reading about it in the manual didn't really prepare me for that mistake. But mentioning it as a warning could help a few owners out.

Last edited:

boogielander

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My first FCA product but not my first time driving FCA product. We have a Chrysler van (I think town and country) at the hotel I now part time at. When I used to drive it to do errands (drop off packages for guests, drop off and pick up guests, and drop off and pick up dry cleaning for guests, and occasionally go get supplies for office parties) I noticed the buttons behind the steering wheel.
"what a weird pedal shifter" I said to myself the first time I drove it. So i clicked it, and radio became louder. That's when I learned lol

ben b

Reaction score
Thanks for the tip about the funnel! Had my truck for 1.5 years and never knew it was there. Good thing I never ran out of gas....

Only took about 6 months for me to discover the buttons on the back of the steering wheel.

Bigbags85

Reaction score
It's funny too because chrysler has been doing this since at least 2006 with these buttons lol. I remember accidentally finding them on a rental we used for a prisoner transport and thinking this is an awful spot for these haha.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
It's funny too because chrysler has been doing this since at least 2006 with these buttons lol. I remember accidentally finding them on a rental we used for a prisoner transport and thinking this is an awful spot for these haha.
try since late 90s

And quite a few manufacturers put them there. My wife's Chevy Traverse has the radio control buttons on back of steering wheel is same spot. Granted, they are larger buttons. It's more natural place to have them to me. I have a 2002 Volvo with them in the front and it just isn't as intuitive.

KRField

Reaction score
try since late 90s

And quite a few manufacturers put them there. My wife's Chevy Traverse has the radio control buttons on back of steering wheel is same spot. Granted, they are larger buttons. It's more natural place to have them to me. I have a 2002 Volvo with them in the front and it just isn't as intuitive.

You are correct, I owned a 96 Grand Cherokee Limited that had them. Loved everything about that SUV except the transmission cooling lines. They were to small and went through 2 transmissions till we rectified the issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Crazy Dane

Reaction score
Mine came with a quick start guide that covers most everything that is listed here and even before that the dealer had a "tech guru" come out and go over everything and help set up my phone at delivery.

Users who are viewing this thread