5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A little off roading!

Snwjnky

Reaction score
Looks like a fun time.
The Sierra Nevada mountains don't open up for off road travel till April 1st at the earliest. Depends on snow pack and dirt road conditions. Can't wait.

Cease11

Reaction score
Love seeing some flex...my kind of fun too! Where were you at?
This was from Pioneertown town to big bear in California, which is about 19 miles of beautiful mountain roads. It had just rained so it was pretty muddy in a lot of places. Next week we’re headed to the desert for some sand dunes really love what this truck can do. Actually used the lockers, the 4Runner struggled in some places without the lockers.

Cease11

Reaction score
Looks like a fun time.
The Sierra Nevada mountains don't open up for off road travel till April 1st at the earliest. Depends on snow pack and dirt road conditions. Can't wait.
That’s right around the corner man! You guys probably have some really nice back roads up north! Take some pics when you go so you can post them. These trucks handle very nice in all conditions.

Cease11

Reaction score
Love seeing some flex...my kind of fun too! Where were you at?
Just out of curiosity but why are you doing 34s? I have 34s on now. Sometimes I kinda wished I had gone to 35s. I think with those nittos you might be able to squeeze them in since they’re thinner tires I think. I could be wrong though!

Desert Dawg

Reaction score
This was from Pioneertown town to big bear in California, which is about 19 miles of beautiful mountain roads. It had just rained so it was pretty muddy in a lot of places. Next week we’re headed to the desert for some sand dunes really love what this truck can do. Actually used the lockers, the 4Runner struggled in some places without the lockers.

Nice! I am getting anxious as I am hoping to get up between Telluride and Ouray, Colorado soon for a mountain pass run (Ophir or Imogene). Glad to know the lockers work!

P.S. Sorry for over-sized signature pic as I am still working that issue out.

Cease11

Reaction score
Nice! I am getting anxious as I am hoping to get up between Telluride and Ouray, Colorado soon for a mountain pass run (Ophir or Imogene). Glad to know the lockers work!

P.S. Sorry for over-sized signature pic as I am still working that issue out.
Go 35s i would if i had to pick again. Post some pics when you do that run. I’ll post some up next week out in the Mojave desert. Let’s see how it handles in sand. Switch your 3 front speakers to kickers for a night and day difference if you haven’t done that yet. If you have the alpine system it sounds way better. Cheap 80 bucks for the speakers and it takes 20min to do all 3.

Desert Dawg

Reaction score
Go 35s i would if i had to pick again. Post some pics when you do that run. I’ll post some up next week out in the Mojave desert. Let’s see how it handles in sand. Switch your 3 front speakers to kickers for a night and day difference if you haven’t done that yet. If you have the alpine system it sounds way better. Cheap 80 bucks for the speakers and it takes 20min to do all 3.

I definitely will post up when I finally get up there! I haven't even taken it out yet in the high desert near me so might even get to that sooner.

I have the 19-speaker Harmon Kardon system and really like how it sounds (crisp and clear to my ears even at higher volumes but then again I am much of an audiophile). Maybe a little more base would be nice but not into the boom box effect that rattles the neighbors.

Last edited:

976-HIKE

Reaction score

Youre saying the alpine system benefits from a cheap upgrade? Got links to the parts?

Desert Dawg

Reaction score
Just out of curiosity but why are you doing 34s? I have 34s on now. Sometimes I kinda wished I had gone to 35s. I think with those nittos you might be able to squeeze them in since they’re thinner tires I think. I could be wrong though!

I have run 35s on my previous builds but decided on 34s this time around for two reasons; 1) with the stupid shark fin on top of the roof, I actually might not fit into my garage (older shop) if I also lift it which is a real bummer, and 2) with the Nitto Ridge Grapplers, anything over the 34-inches gets heavy as even their 34.3-inch tires weigh almost as much as their true 35s and add another 15 lbs of rolling mass per tire over stock which is 75 lbs of extra weight (including the spare) and is very noticeable on take off power and with mileage. A true 35 would be even more! The LT285/70R18s I am getting (34-inches tall and 11.3 inches wide on the stock wheels) only add 5 lbs of added rolling mass (or 25 lbs total of extra weight, maybe a tad more since the stock spare tire is lighter). Also, I really didn't want to trim anything if I don't have to (done that many times along with body mount chops to stuff a 35). But I never say never...lol.

Personally, I think the 34s look pretty balanced with your setup. I am pushing the stock Rebel wheels with the 33-inch Duratracs out to the fenders (with bolted wheel spacers) to get the stance I like for now since I am just not feeling any aftermarket ones (my last several builds all had black wheels so looking for something different). But I may test fit both 34s and small 35s just to see how it looks.

Last edited:

terick89

Reaction score
Is that red truck a North Edition, or Big Horn/Laramie with the Off Road package? I can't see the decal from here. I have a Big Horn North Edition though, so it's good to know that either of them can handle that kind of terrain!

CaptainCJ35

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Cease11 - what tires do you have and measurement, if you don't mind my asking? I'm waffling between 34's and 35's myself. 35's will mean I'll need spacers and links to fit properly with air suspension. 34's might work without.

I need to use E/E mode for squeezing under some garages in town where I fit on the stock 33's... 35's with a level might be too tall.

Cease11

Reaction score
Cease11 - what tires do you have and measurement, if you don't mind my asking? I'm waffling between 34's and 35's myself. 35's will mean I'll need spacers and links to fit properly with air suspension. 34's might work without.

I need to use E/E mode for squeezing under some garages in town where I fit on the stock 33's... 35's with a level might be too tall.
I have 34s 295/70/18. I like the way they look but I think next time I’ll move to 35s

Users who are viewing this thread