5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A little disappointed in quality...

steveved

Reaction score
With the quality of the interior leather.

I have had my truck since October now. And in those 4 and a half months, my 125 pound German Shepperd has managed to cause a slight tear in the leather of the back seat in 2 places.

Now, I know I should have bought one of those seat covers from covercraft or weathertech. But, my dog is 5 and a half years old. Previously, I had a 2014 Chevrolet Silverado LTZ. Also with a leather interior.

In 4 years of having my Chevy, he never once caused a tear in the rear seats and I never bought a cover for that either.

So, 4 years, no tear... 4 and a half months, 2 small tears. To me, that equals inferior quality materials.

Yes, this truck drives WAY better than the Chevy and the interior looks so much better. But, if this is any indication of quality of materials... I won't what shape this truck will be in in 2 years.

Just saying...

Bhbdvm

Reaction score
Can’t say for certain but I think the difference you may be seeing is different interpretations of quality of leather, The Ram has a softer better looking leather and many people judge this as better quality. Other vehicles have a tougher leather which is potentially more durable but not near as soft or good looking compared to the Ram. The Ram leather should last a very long time but you should probably take precautions with big dogs climbing on seats, etc. That’s just my opinion. I have a shepherd I wouldn’t trust her on my back seat without some type of cover. She is a working dog and has incredibly “heavy”/strong front limbs.

pasteris71

Reaction score

I have had my truck since October now. And in those 4 and a half months, my 125 pound German Shepperd has managed to cause a slight tear in the leather of the back seat in 2 places.

Now, I know I should have bought one of those seat covers from covercraft or weathertech. But, my dog is 5 and a half years old. Previously, I had a 2014 Chevrolet Silverado LTZ. Also with a leather interior.

In 4 years of having my Chevy, he never once caused a tear in the rear seats and I never bought a cover for that either.

So, 4 years, no tear... 4 and a half months, 2 small tears. To me, that equals inferior quality materials.

Yes, this truck drives WAY better than the Chevy and the interior looks so much better. But, if this is any indication of quality of materials... I won't what shape this truck will be in in 2 years.

Just saying...
Could always trim its nails.

Saints

Reaction score
Dogs and leather is a no go. Think about this for a second, leather is a skin, a hide. Not much different then your own skin. When your dog jumps up on you he can leave a scratch on your skin. Leather is no different. Especially if you have perforated leather it makes it much easier to get a cut.

steveved

Reaction score
Could always trim its nails.

I hear you, but my point was that I get his nails trimmed just as frequently now as I did with my previous truck. As another poster pointed out, this leather is softer than my previous truck, but not as durable.

That was kind of the point of my post. This interior is more comfortable than my Chevy was. But does not appear to be as durable.

steveved

Reaction score
Dogs and leather is a no go. Think about this for a second, leather is a skin, a hide. Not much different then your own skin. When your dog jumps up on you he can leave a scratch on your skin. Leather is no different. Especially if you have perforated leather it makes it much easier to get a cut.

Again, I understand all this. You guys are so quick to defend RAM that you are missing my original point: this leather is not as durable as that in my previous truck. And my previous truck was an LTZ, not the top of the line High Country.

So, I guess I should have used the word "durability" instead of "quality" so as not to upset all of the fan boys.

I still love this truck. But if it was so much easier to puncture the leather in the rear seats, I have to wonder how long some of the other items will hold up. Time will tell.

Granite5thgen

Reaction score
Theres no chance my golden is seeing the back seats, ever lol. And I have cloth. The crew cab is so big she can sprawl out on the floor on the comforter I'll fold up for her.

Last edited:

Saints

Reaction score
Again, I understand all this. You guys are so quick to defend RAM that you are missing my original point: this leather is not as durable as that in my previous truck. And my previous truck was an LTZ, not the top of the line High Country.

So, I guess I should have used the word "durability" instead of "quality" so as not to upset all of the fan boys.

I still love this truck. But if it was so much easier to puncture the leather in the rear seats, I have to wonder how long some of the other items will hold up. Time will tell.

It has nothing to do with being a fan boy as I don’t even own a Ram yet as it’s on order and this will be my first. I have owned a leather repair business for the last 20+ years and with a 125lb German Shepard I can guarantee you had damage on your last truck also. I see it all day every day on all makes and models. Finer leather is more soft and supple and needs greater care to keep looking good. You can not blame your poor decisions on “bad quality”.

Boozygoose

Reaction score
FWIW, I have an 80# dog, real badass breed, a Goldendoodle. Lol.

Anyway, I ordered a twin size 3" foam mattress topper from Amazon that came with a zippered cover. Large enough to fill whole back seat area, less expensive than many dog beds, and easy to cut exactly to fit curves, door sill to door sill, etc.

Seats always up, lower jump into the truck, and Jethro racks out back there in total gel foam comfort.

lonestar_penta19

Reaction score
Sorry to hear about the 2 small tears in the leather. I am glad that our dogs ride in the cab and not the bed. I cant tell you how many dogs I see riding in beds of trucks without any crate or harness in TX. It makes me nervous when I see it.

Redhawk01

Reaction score

Just saying...
This just happened to me as well. Wasn't even thinking about the seats. My lab had a vet appointment, so in he goes. I didn't even have my old comforter with to keep hair off the seats. 2 days later, I notice 2 punctures in seat cushion and a tear on the leading edge of back seat. So i feel your pain. I was kinda surprised to see how easy it was to tear. Interested to see what it will cost to fix.

GregHBNA

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
OP, maybe you should have stuck with a CHEVY because of its pet resistent leather quality..... :-\

Just like another user said, let the seats up and let the dog ride on the floorboard, not the inferior leather seats in the RAM.

TH3JUICEMAN

Reaction score
FWIW, the back seat of an LTZ isn’t leather (some man made imitation stuff). Only in the HIgh Country do you get full leather front and back. At least that’s what’s in my brother 2016 LTZ.

DavidNJ

Reaction score
It has nothing to do with being a fan boy as I don’t even own a Ram yet as it’s on order and this will be my first. I have owned a leather repair business for the last 20+ years and with a 125lb German Shepard I can guarantee you had damage on your last truck also. I see it all day every day on all makes and models. Finer leather is more soft and supple and needs greater care to keep looking good. You can not blame your poor decisions on “bad quality”.

Good you elaborate on how you would repair it? I know MB, Audi, BMW dealerships have leather repair folks on a regular schedule and the repairs, at least on pigmented leathers, seems undetectable.

How would repair it and how would you recommend @steveved go about finding a leather repairer?

xspeedy

Reaction score
What trim is your truck? Sometimes those rear seats are vinyl and not leather. That is the case with the Laramie Sport. The Limited appears to have leather in the rear. Also, when they say “ leather seating surfaces” they only use real leather for where your butt and back touch. The side and rear panels will be vinyl.

GregHBNA

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Aka "leather trimmed".

What trim is your truck? Sometimes those rear seats are vinyl and not leather. That is the case with the Laramie Sport. The Limited appears to have leather in the rear. Also, when they say “ leather seating surfaces” they only use real leather for where your butt and back touch. The side and rear panels will be vinyl.

Users who are viewing this thread