5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A Little Chrome Delete/Contrast Project

Bellpa

Reaction score
So I actually like having chrome on my '19 Ram 1500 Laramie since it contrasts nicely with the Maximum Steel paint, but I thought there was a little too much chrome on the front end. It looked "busy" to me. So, yesterday, I plasti-dipped the two uppers and three lower grille bars to give it a little more contrast with the chrome. I believe some other models have the grilles this way and I really like the look and how mine turned out. I sprayed four coats of black and then two coats of clear. Cheap and easy mod!

Attachments

• IMG_3213.jpg
    IMG_3213.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 164
  • IMG_3214.jpg
    IMG_3214.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 163
  • IMG_3215.jpg
    IMG_3215.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 161
  • IMG_3216.jpg
    IMG_3216.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 174
  • IMG_3217.jpg
    IMG_3217.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 173

RainDesert

Reaction score
That looks good. I agree some models have a little too much chrome, HDs also. Nice subtle mod!

Scott_65

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It does look good and I agree Plasti Dip is good cheap way to change up your look. Did you block off behind the grill as I was wondering about over spray getting into the engine bay?

Bellpa

Reaction score
It does look good and I agree Plasti Dip is good cheap way to change up your look. Did you block off behind the grill as I was wondering about over spray getting into the engine bay?
I just masked between the bars. I didn't want to mess around with disassembling to block off behind the grill. Everything is a "process" with these front ends!

Scott_65

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I just masked between the bars. I didn't want to mess around with disassembling to block off behind the grill. Everything is a "process" with these front ends!
I just had all my chrome painted black but opted not to do the grill due to the disassembly and additional cost involved. So you had no issues then with overspray, if that’s the case I may consider dipping my grill as well although it looks really nice as is now.

ny2az

Reaction score
So I actually like having chrome on my '19 Ram 1500 Laramie since it contrasts nicely with the Maximum Steel paint, but I thought there was a little too much chrome on the front end. It looked "busy" to me. So, yesterday, I plasti-dipped the two uppers and three lower grille bars to give it a little more contrast with the chrome. I believe some other models have the grilles this way and I really like the look and how mine turned out. I sprayed four coats of black and then two coats of clear. Cheap and easy mod!

looks good ... job well done...

Bellpa

Reaction score
I just had all my chrome painted black but opted not to do the grill due to the disassembly and additional cost involved. So you had no issues then with overspray, if that’s the case I may consider dipping my grill as well although it looks really nice as is now.
I used thinner masking tape in between the bars and then general masking around, as shown. I didn't have any overspray issues at all. I took a razor knife and scored a line around the bars once before peeling the masking tape off so it wouldn't pull. Worked out really well. I'm actually surprised that the clear glossifier did give it a bit of glossiness over the normal flat black results.

Users who are viewing this thread