5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A few questions on 2021 Limited

Shamrock92

Reaction score
Ok - a few questions on the 2021 Limited.

- Is the air suspension standard ? Doesn't appear on option sheet of a few I looked at online, but is definitely present

- 12 inch screen quirks corrected ? Can you even get a limited with 8" screen?

- Can I buy / swap out a multifunction tailgate (realize of bought used would need to repaint/replace badging)

- Any other things I should look for.

So short version - had a chance to demo a Limited and a Rebel today....thought I was set on Tundra, but supply issues and chance to test no pressure too good to pass on. The Rebel was a pass - but really liked the Limited

Caballonegro

Reaction score
-Air suspension is standard
-12" is standard, Ive had a 12" screen for two years, never had an issue.
-no, the bed is actually reinforced for the MF tailgate, there is some pics floating around on differences.
-Limited is a little more of a street truck, and smoother ride. the Rebel doesn't have the front painted, so if you drive on freeway or offroad much, that can be a plus.

I wanted a black out ram, spec'ed mine to limited spec, Loaded, then 2 months after receiving my truck, blacked out limited is offered. For cheaper.....SMH

Good luck on your choice.

Shamrock92

Reaction score
Thanks - that was the assumption on MF gate. Appreciate the confirmation.

Still debating it - but really liked the ride of the limited.

Comparing to the Rebel - there simply was no comparison. Granted the Rebel was a rental and this was a local trade - but Rebel transmission felt very clunky - versus a smooth shifting limited.

The biggest downside is not being able to test the Tundra along side. Alot of the limited felt luxury car like

IvoryHemi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I originally wanted the 8.4” screen but happy I’m ended up with the 12” screen. The giant NAV screen is so easy to see.

The air suspension ride is fantastic, it was on my list of must haves.

Tundra will feel incredibly dated after driving the Limited.

Bigtone

Reaction score

Comparing to the Rebel - there simply was no comparison. Granted the Rebel was a rental and this was a local trade - but Rebel transmission felt very clunky - versus a smooth shifting limited.

The biggest downside is not being able to test the Tundra along side. Alot of the limited felt luxury car like
One ride in a Limited was all it took to convince me to trade my Laramie in on one. I think it is a combination of the air ride and the beter quality leather seats which gives such a great ride. No regrets.

Shamrock92

Reaction score
I will admit it - I was a skeptic of the air ride suspension. This one sold me on it.

Long term - I'm not 100% on them - but they ride nicer for sure.

Power running boards are nice too

Tough choice - the Tundra will hold value better than Ram over course of say 6 years - but its not quite the runaway it seems with incentives.

Let's assume a price of 55k each - 5k down.

In 6 years - approx value of the Ram 28-32k
Tundra will be closer to 34-38k

Thats a 6k spread...BUT 0% interest on Ram for 72 months vs paying 3% for a Tundra - you "save" about a hundred a month.

I wasn't originally planning on financing - but the promo finance and overall nicer ride of the Ram is making me think hard.

I don't consider the "basic" features of the Tundra a bad thing - but as a daily driver - I'd opt Ram I think. For a weekender (my needs) its a tighter match.

BowDown

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I originally wanted the 8.4” screen but happy I’m ended up with the 12” screen. The giant NAV screen is so easy to see.

The air suspension ride is fantastic, it was on my list of must haves.

Tundra will feel incredibly dated after driving the Limited.

The air ride is what made me switch from the Longhorn

BowDown

Reaction score
I will admit it - I was a skeptic of the air ride suspension. This one sold me on it.

Long term - I'm not 100% on them - but they ride nicer for sure.

Power running boards are nice too

Tough choice - the Tundra will hold value better than Ram over course of say 6 years - but its not quite the runaway it seems with incentives.

Let's assume a price of 55k each - 5k down.

In 6 years - approx value of the Ram 28-32k
Tundra will be closer to 34-38k

Thats a 6k spread...BUT 0% interest on Ram for 72 months vs paying 3% for a Tundra - you "save" about a hundred a month.

I wasn't originally planning on financing - but the promo finance and overall nicer ride of the Ram is making me think hard.

I don't consider the "basic" features of the Tundra a bad thing - but as a daily driver - I'd opt Ram I think. For a weekender (my needs) its a tighter match.

I don't know that that's accurate with the current gen Rams, especially the limited and longhorns

Fatherof3

Reaction score

The Rebel being a rental would be the reason for the harsher shifts . My Rebel is extremely smooth shifting .

Scap

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I know my truck is still really new to me, but I find the silliest of excuses to drive it somewhere.
I'm sure I did the same thing with my last three trucks, but damn this truck just makes me feel good.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
My Limited rides like a dream with the air suspension, even with 22”s. It’s been flawless so far, even in sub freezing temps. Never had any issues lowering or raising to various heights, and very handy to be able to raise it when washing wheel wells or lowering to access low-clearance garages.

Also, I’ve never had any major problems with the 12” screen. I did have USB issues early on, but it was just an unseated cable to the USB Hub that was not plugged in tight at the factory during assembly. It’s been great for almost a year and a half since the dealer discovered the culprit. I did have about three black screens early on, but after a couple of OTA updates, those problems went away as well, and my truck is an early build (03/18). Coupled with my CarlinKit wireless CarPlay dongle, my UConnect is the perfect infotainment now.

I don’t know about longevity of components, only time will tell. If you will drive a lot of miles or keep your truck past the warranty period, I’d get an extended warranty for piece of mind if that’s a concern. I did this last week as I will be hitting the 3-year mark in June. It only cost me $745 to extend to 6yr/60k ($200 deductible). Small price to pay in my book.

Cheers,

Fatherof3

Reaction score
My BIL has a 2016 Rebel and he hasn’t had any problem with his air ride at all . He always puts his in entry exit when he parks . I had problems with my 2016 but I always left mine in normal .
I‘ve heard that Ram has redone the air ride in the 5th gens but just thought I’d mention it since you’re looking at a limited .

mikeru82

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
- Can I buy / swap out a multifunction tailgate (realize of bought used would need to repaint/replace badging)
The answer to this is not as straight forward as Caballonegro made it sound. Sure, the short answer is no. That's what the dealership will tell you. But it may not really be the case. Standard beds do require extra bracing in the front corners of the bed. But rambox beds do not require this extra bracing. The MFT dimensions are the same as a standard tailgate. But there is a difference in the strikers for the latches, so you'd need to swap those out. The wiring is also in question, and I don't know if you would need a different tailgate wiring harness or not. The biggest hurdle for me is availability. Dealers won't sell a complete MFT, so you'd have to buy all of the parts and build it out yourself. I've been waiting for them to start showing up in salvage yards, and will buy one when I find one that's priced in my comfort range.

z0n3

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have owned both the 8.4" and 12" screen in different trucks. I much prefer the 12". That's not to say the 8.4 isn't any good as I really enjoyed it as well.. I really enjoy the split screen function of the 12".

BowDown

Reaction score
My Longhorn has the air ride :)

It was a at cost option that made the Longhorn I would have bought more expensive than the Limited. I wanted the air ride and the Longhorn with black and saddle interior but that was a 68K truck. Limited with air ride and equally nice indigo frost interior was 65K. I like black and saddle but not 3000 x's more the the indigo frost

IvoryHemi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It was a at cost option that made the Longhorn I would have bought more expensive than the Limited. I wanted the air ride and the Longhorn with black and saddle interior but that was a 68K truck. Limited with air ride and equally nice indigo frost interior was 65K. I like black and saddle but not 3000 x's more the the indigo frost

Agree. My Longhorn costs more than a similarly equipped Limited. I like the Limited’s chrome side molding and gauges better

D5C88411-6214-4DE8-998F-2DB31CF97E5A.png

Users who are viewing this thread