5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A few questions from a new owner..

Peeping Turtle

Reaction score
Very briefly, i moved to the US 8 years ago and have finally bought an American vehicle, being a 2019 RAM 1500 Limited with 87.5k on it

So haters can hate, its not for any work reason that i bought it (i work in an office!) just its such an American icon to me i wanted to own one and use it like an enormous car, and as a new father to a little boy, figured it would practical too for road trips etc.

However i have some questions that may seem super obvious to you all, but whilst you roll your eyes at them please remember we dont get the Dodge/ RAM brand at all in the uk and nothing like this size of vehicle!

About the truck

1. Its the 4WD version, i assume the default setting is 4WD auto and let it do its thing? not 2WD , even on long journeys?
2. It is fitted with the sunroof that has leaked in the past, i have no idea if its still leaking or if the previous owner fixed it. Is there a common area i can look at/for? any cost ideas about getting the seals changed? any reports of bad rusting due to this?
3. its running on 22inch rims, rear pressure is 40 front is 35, i will rarely ever tow anything so should i reduce the rears to match the front like a car, or are trucks different?
4. every time i lock it the thing beeps at me, any way to turn this off and just have indicators flash instead?
5. the interior is cream and indigo leather, well the door panels are, the seats are ALOT darker in color, they look dirty in comparison but its all over including the creases so makes me think this is how they come? is that correct? or should it be a light cream like the door panel?
6. what are the common problems that i should be looking for (asking AFTER i bought the truck!) but just so i can see how stupid ive been...

Accessories

7. It came with a silver lockable tool box across the back, but i would prefer a tonneau cover for it, looks to be between a retractable one like the Peragon one, or a '3 part tonneau' ? i have no idea of advantages /disadvantages so help would be great. something lockable seems sensible though?
8. best place websites to look for mods and accessories?
9. As i said, i will use it mainly for road trips, costco shopping and the odd bit of commuting (not sure it fits in the garage at work though!) that kind of thing, what are the recommended straps/ nets/ expandable poles to hold shopping bags, luggage, pram etc etc? its unlikely im going to dump a tonn of sand in the back although homedepot vists for dry wall will be easier than putting on the roof of my wifes VW Golf!
10. how tall is the limited ? ive seen different heights on line and im not sur eif they count the plastic fin on the roof? My work garage is 6.8ft, so cold be squeaky bum time if i try driving in there!
11. any other 'must buy' accessories for it? interior or exterior ?

Thanks for any replies/ help, i truly know nothing on these so feel free to tell me what an idiot ive been for buying a truck as a family wagon :)

Quint

Reaction score
There are no dumb questions. Just people too dumb to ask....

1. Keep it in 2WD unless you are driving in snow/slush. There is no need for auto.
2. You'll find out soon enough.
3. Look at the sticker by your driver's door. It will tell you the recommended pressure for each.
4. Yes - go into the settings on the screen and turn off the beeps. You can also set it to just have the lights flash. The manual tells you how to change all of your settings.
5. Every truck is different. You can buy really nice covers to change the seat color if desired.
6. Exhaust manifold leaks can happen, but at 87k miles most of the gremlins are out. Now its just maintenance issues due to mileage.
7. The tonneau covers are all about preference. I have a roll-up "raised" Access cover. My brother has a flat 3-panel cover. To each their own. I would not worry about getting a lock. Thefts are extremely rare even though it seems like an easy thing to cut through. Don't put jewels or a briefcase of cash in the back, but feel safe to keep most things in there.
8. Lots of great threads on here, such as the one about cheap low-cost Amazon upgrades.
9. I keep a bag full of bungee cords, rope, and ratchet straps in the back. You should already have four tie-down points in each corner of the truck bed. You can add rings in the stake pockets higher up. I have Bull Rings but you can buy any brand as long as you make sure it is made for your year/model.
10. None of us know if your truck has been modified. Bring out the tape measure.
11. Lots of good threads on this forum about upgrades. Read through them - this forum is a treasure. Make a list, write down prices, and then order them as you please in terms of price and importance. Most of us have a budget to stick to, especially if we are married and plan to remain as such.

Congrats on your first American vehicle. If you really want to be an American, stomp on the gas here and there and drive it where it's not supposed to go!

1. Its the 4WD version, i assume the default setting is 4WD auto and let it do its thing? not 2WD , even on long journeys?
2. It is fitted with the sunroof that has leaked in the past, i have no idea if its still leaking or if the previous owner fixed it. Is there a common area i can look at/for? any cost ideas about getting the seals changed? any reports of bad rusting due to this?
3. its running on 22inch rims, rear pressure is 40 front is 35, i will rarely ever tow anything so should i reduce the rears to match the front like a car, or are trucks different?
4. every time i lock it the thing beeps at me, any way to turn this off and just have indicators flash instead?
5. the interior is cream and indigo leather, well the door panels are, the seats are ALOT darker in color, they look dirty in comparison but its all over including the creases so makes me think this is how they come? is that correct? or should it be a light cream like the door panel?
6. what are the common problems that i should be looking for (asking AFTER i bought the truck!) but just so i can see how stupid ive been...

Accessories

7. It came with a silver lockable tool box across the back, but i would prefer a tonneau cover for it, looks to be between a retractable one like the Peragon one, or a '3 part tonneau' ? i have no idea of advantages /disadvantages so help would be great. something lockable seems sensible though?
9. As i said, i will use it mainly for road trips, costco shopping and the odd bit of commuting (not sure it fits in the garage at work though!) that kind of thing, what are the recommended straps/ nets/ expandable poles to hold shopping bags, luggage, pram etc etc? its unlikely im going to dump a tonn of sand in the back although homedepot vists for dry wall will be easier than putting on the roof of my wifes VW Golf!
10. how tall is the limited ? ive seen different heights on line and im not sur eif they count the plastic fin on the roof? My work garage is 6.8ft, so cold be squeaky bum time if i try driving in there!

Thanks for any replies/ help, i truly know nothing on these so feel free to tell me what an idiot ive been for buying a truck as a family wagon :)

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Very briefly, i moved to the US 8 years ago and have finally bought an American vehicle, being a 2019 RAM 1500 Limited with 87.5k on it

So haters can hate, its not for any work reason that i bought it (i work in an office!) just its such an American icon to me i wanted to own one and use it like an enormous car, and as a new father to a little boy, figured it would practical too for road trips etc.

However i have some questions that may seem super obvious to you all, but whilst you roll your eyes at them please remember we dont get the Dodge/ RAM brand at all in the uk and nothing like this size of vehicle!

About the truck

2wd is normal. Only need to use any of the 4wd settings when additional traction is needed. Will also help gas mileage keeping it in 2wd

Is there documentation of the sunroof in your truck leaking, or was this in another vehicle you owned? I have a 2020 with panoramic sunroof and 30k miles. No issues with leaks, but it spends it's time in a garage when not being driven

If anything your front tire pressure needs to be higher than the rear since most of your weight is on the front tires.

There should be an option in your radio settings to disable the honk when locking, or have it honk on second push of lock. I have mine set to second press. That way if I can't see the lights, I can hit lock a second time and get an audible indication the doors are locked

Can't help you with this one

Rear window, third brake light, and shark fin antenna leaking.
Accessories

If you live in an area where you are concerned about theft, a hard tonneau isn't a bad idea. For 90% of owners, a soft tonneau is more than enough. Out of sight, out of mind. And with the tailgate closed and doors locked, almost all tonneaus are "locking" in that you can't open them without opening tailgate

Lots of places, use Google search and find best prices. Depending on what you want, the answer will be different. I like to support small businesses, or fellow Ram owners who have businesses when I can.

I like my Husky stackable storage bins from Home Depot with a cargo bar to keep them against tailgate for shopping trips. Easy to remove when you need the whole bed.

You will be very close. Been a while since mine was stock height. Picture attached for reference. I am 6'5"

Hellwig rear sway bar. Tint the windows if not already done. Sequential turn signal lenses for mirrors. Dash camera.
Screenshot_20230414-141600~2.png

Reaction score
My understanding is that sunroof leaks can usually be traced to drain hoses that have gotten clogged with debris.

Hydroblueguy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The issues are endless, hopefully they have all been fixed and you have none! My 19 was a lemon and bought back at 10,000 miles for unresolved vibration issues that were never resolved after 8 dealer visits and was told that every part that could cause a vibration was replaced??? Was balance several times, within 200 miles it was way out of balance, never been off road🤷🏻‍♂️ water leak issues, electrical issues, many more for sure. Many seem to be slowing down, but my 21 has been to dealer 4 times in the first 10,000 miles for electrical issues. Good luck, nice truck👍🏻 They are great trucks when your not having an issue😁

Users who are viewing this thread