5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A few questions before pulling the trigger!

bassadict69

Reaction score
I am buying a 2019 Laramie but have a few questions...

What does a level 2 have that a level 1 does not?

It seems a 3.92 rear end would get worse highway mileage than a 3.21...how much worse? I am talking long hwy trips doing 80-85 mph. I do pull a boat, jet skis etc, but assume the 5.7 would tow much easier than the 4.8l I have now, regardless of rear ends.

Both I am looking at have about 17k miles and asking price is mid 40's... how low can I expect to get the price? I am thinking maybe 40k out the door?

Le_Slacker

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I believe you do a build on ramtrucks.con it gives you a description of every option, including what’s in level 1/2

If there’s a particular truck you already have your eye on, grab the vin - there are a couple of websites that can give you a lot more info on hat build / towing capability

As for gear impact on mpg - no experience in that but it appears to be minimal 1-2 mpg, but may also depend on whether you also have etorque or not, which may negate some of that loss

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
If you like driving 85, get the 3.21. At those speeds the difference will be at least 3-4 mpg. Off the line it will be a tad slower but you will appreciate the lower rpms when on the highway

highgear2005

Reaction score
My local dealerships, are discounting 2019 bighorn level 2 which is a nice package for under 39k. I have the 3.92 rear end and have no regrets! My mileage average 17-18 but I don’t drive hard! 40 miles each day round trip to work. I have noticed a high difference in mileage from switching gas stations.so experiment with different brands. I follow rams recommendation and buy 89 octane.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dandar

Reaction score
If you like driving 85, get the 3.21. At those speeds the difference will be at least 3-4 mpg. Off the line it will be a tad slower but you will appreciate the lower rpms when on the highway

I have 3.92 and got it cause 3.21 felt lethargic to me. However I have a lead foot and average in 14s with mixed driving including short highway driving in 70s-80s. Some of that is due to having 22" rims and fully loaded (heavy) limited though. On long highway trips in 70s I get 18-19mpg.

OldMarine

Ram Guru
Reaction score
get a 3.21 and a Pedal commander...throw it in Sport, and you'll swear you have a 4.56 :LOL:

Scram1500

Reaction score
I have 3.92 and got it cause 3.21 felt lethargic to me. However I have a lead foot and average in 14s with mixed driving including short highway driving in 70s-80s. Some of that is due to having 22" rims and fully loaded (heavy) limited though. On long highway trips in 70s I get 18-19mpg.
That's why I got 3.92 as well, it's definitely more fun off the line. Coming from a 3.21 DS that averaged 16.1 mpg I've seen a 1 mpg avg. drop so I'm right at 15 mpg. At 70 on the highway the avg. is 20 mpg, at 80 or above its 15 mpg. The 3.21 has its upsides and a long highway run at 80+ is one of them. I really wanted 3.55's but for whatever reason that option is unavailable to the Hemi

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I

It seems a 3.92 rear end would get worse highway mileage than a 3.21...how much worse? I am talking long hwy trips doing 80-85 mph. I do pull a boat, jet skis etc, but assume the 5.7 would tow much easier than the 4.8l I have now, regardless of rear ends.

Both I am looking at have about 17k miles and asking price is mid 40's... how low can I expect to get the price? I am thinking maybe 40k out the door?
If you cruise at 80-85 mph your fuel economy will be abysmal, fair warning. See if you can drive both axle ratios and find what you like. At 85 with the 3.92 you will be turning a lot of RPM.

SilverNight2020

Reaction score
Either way, your fuel economy is going to suck. Check out the threads on here about poor fuel economy, so you can make an educated decision. Worse MPGs I have ever gotten out of a truck.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score

Per the Ram website, Level 2 on a Laramie adds:
  • 19-Speaker Harman Kardon® Premium Sound
  • Automatic High Beam Headlamp Control
  • Blind-Spot and Cross-Path Detection
  • Foam Bottle Insert (Door Trim Panel)
  • Heated Second-Row Seats
  • ParkSense® Front and Rear Park-Assist with Stop
  • Rain-Sensitive Windshield Wipers
  • Rear Underseat Compartment Storage
  • Remote Tailgate-Release
  • Rear 60 / 40 Folding Split Recline Seat
  • Tailgate Ajar Warning Lamp
  • Uconnect® 4C NAV with 8.4-Inch Display

AmericanRebelution

Reaction score
Long highway trips at 80-85 mph - go 3.21. You'll be fine towing jet skis and a boat (assuming its of reasonable weight). I love my 3.92s, but I try to stay below 80mph on the highway. Above 75mph, the RPMs do start to climb.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Long highway trips at 80-85 mph - go 3.21. You'll be fine towing jet skis and a boat (assuming its of reasonable weight). I love my 3.92s, but I try to stay below 80mph on the highway. Above 75mph, the RPMs do start to climb.
Agree. And if you have a stupid-short commute like me, it will not matter either way.

This morning:

IMG_5145.jpeg

Last edited:

Billy James

Ram Guru
Reaction score

If you are looking at used 2019 Laramies with 17K miles for mid 40's; then you should be looking at new ones. I bought my Level 1 Laramie new for $43,500 (with incentives). Used with 17K, you should be able to get one around 38 to 39K....maybe less.

I have a Level 1 and I like the options. A level 2 would have given me things I didn't want or need such as: Harman Kardon Sound (I have Alpine), Heated Second Rows Seats (usually empty seats anyway), Rear Underseat Storage Compartment (I wanted flat floor with space for the dogs), and UConnect 8.4 with NAV (bad past experiences with factory Nav). I would have bought a Level 2 if it was the right deal, but I shopped a Level 1 and found exactly what I wanted for a good price.

If you regularly roll at 80-85 MPH on the highway; then 3.21 might be for you. You'll be getting about 15 to 17 MPG on long highway trips with 3.92 at that speed. I usually roll around 70 to 75 (with 3.92) and get between 18 and 20 on the highway depending on winds and road grade.

Fatherof3

Reaction score
Level 2 gives you 4C nav , wireless charging pad , 19 speaker Harmon Kardon audio system , heated second row seats and rear under seat storage ( crew cab only ) plus all the level 1 equipment group .

bassadict69

Reaction score
Great info guys! I appreciate every bit of it.

Everything I have driven so far had the 3.21 and with me coming from a silverado with 4.8l, the hemi and 3.21 felt amazing! For boats, I will only be towing an 18ft bass boat and 22ft ski boat so nothing major.

Le_Slacker

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have noticed a high difference in mileage from switching gas stations.so experiment with different brands. I follow rams recommendation and buy 89 octane.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is definitely true!
But enough that I even noticed it in my 35 mpg Elantra, and definitely noticeable in the RAM!

bassadict69

Reaction score
Looks like around here, the Laramie is like gold and there is no dealing! I lost out on two trying to deal and get the powered steps thrown in...while I was dealing, they sold it to someone else!

I have found another I like... Laramie level 1 with the Ram boxes on the side and the 12" display. It has 16k miles and they want $38,400. It does not have the steps either and they are telling me 2 grand to add them. I'll probably just go ahead and have them do it.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Per the Ram website, Level 2 on a Laramie adds:
  • 19-Speaker Harman Kardon® Premium Sound
  • Automatic High Beam Headlamp Control
  • Blind-Spot and Cross-Path Detection
  • Foam Bottle Insert (Door Trim Panel)
  • Heated Second-Row Seats
  • ParkSense® Front and Rear Park-Assist with Stop
  • Rain-Sensitive Windshield Wipers
  • Rear Underseat Compartment Storage
  • Remote Tailgate-Release
  • Rear 60 / 40 Folding Split Recline Seat
  • Tailgate Ajar Warning Lamp
  • Uconnect® 4C NAV with 8.4-Inch Display
The OP asked for the differences between the two packages. I got most of what you listed here on my Laramie with the Level 1 equipment group.
Here is a screen capture showing what you get with each package, straight from the ramtrucks.com website. As you can see the differences are the 19 speaker Harman Karmon sound system, heated rear seats, and navigation. It also lists the rear underseat storage in Level 2, but mine has that as well. Maybe they changed things since I bought my truck back in October.

2020 Laramie packages.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online